This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/16: Catching Nemo

Epcot's Finding Nemo makeover of the Living Seas is previewed, More... Discuss Kevin's update here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 10/16: Catching Nemo

Thanks for the great review Kevin,I am looking foward to giving it a try on my next visit.Disney has done a great job of making this attraction fresh to a new generation of guest,while also keeping the classic elements in place.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

:yea: Thank you Kevin :yea:

We'll be there next week to ride it for ourselves and can't wait!

Did you happen to catch the reworked Land ride next door? I'm just wondering how well it works without a guide.

Cheers,
      Dusty
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
      Save

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
        :yea: Thank you Kevin :yea:

We'll be there next week to ride it for ourselves and can't wait!

Did you happen to catch the reworked Land ride next door? I'm just wondering how well it works without a guide.

Cheers,
        Dusty
        quite well, unless your boat misses a censor.. then you can fend for yourself... lol

(but the begining and end usually hit those censors no matter what, its in the green house that the censors may miss...)

Comment

We can always use more Pixar in the parks. Pixar is underutilized and needs to be featured on every new ride and makeover. I mean, it's not like Disney themselves have 70 year's worth of a film library of films or anything.

Excellent report Kevin, I like how you showed what it looked like before the makeover. It's nice that they subdued the theme in the beginning, but it looks like we're just rehashing the film. I love "Finding Nemo", it is hands-down my favorite CGI film of all time (and very high up in my favorite -animations list overall), but the last thing I want to do is experience characters and a storyline that I've already seen a few dozen times. Walt loved to reference his movies at Disneyland, but I haven't seen one new original ride from Disney in a long time.

Thank goodness Walt limited his "Disneyland will never be complete" with "as long as there is imagination left in the world". He was incredibly smart because he knew that when the imagination leaves, that means Disneyland is complete. A pirate island based off a movie and its endless pirate theming and every new ride and makeover containing a rehashed Pixar theme seems to signal the end of imagination in the park. I simply refuse to accept anything as "creative" until it's completely original and never been done/seen/tried before.

Comment

Great report Kevin!! I can't wait to get back to Orlando for Everest and now the Seas!

I wonder how the experience will differ from the Nemo Sub ride here in California though. I mean unfortunately we don't have real live fish in the submarine lagoon...

Comment

Kevin, at the end of the ride the Starfish tells you the ride puts through 18,300 people yesterday at something like one clam every 3.2 seconds. I did the math it was roughly in the area of 1600 people per hour. Darn good for a simple dark ride.
              I have to agree with everything Kevin said, the ride is a winner!

Comment

Awesome update on the new attraction.

Comment

Whoops! I should have said something about the Land ride. I did indeed ride it, and it's basically bland. There's little to report. One side effect I hadn't counted: without a human looking back at me, I somehow gave myself permission to pay less attention. My attention drifted, and... well... I found myself getting sleepy. The reworked ride puts me to sleep more than the old one did.

I meant to address the Pixarification question, and just plum forgot. What I wanted to insert was a line like: "if we aren't going to have EPCOT Center's original vision, at least they made a quality ride out of an animated story."

I'd still prefer the original Epcot. But this ride is better than many recent rides, and it's more entertaining than the half-witted Seas movie and hydrolators it replaced.
                  Kevin Yee
                  MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                  Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                  Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                  Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                  Mouse Trap
                  Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                  101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                  Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                    I'd still prefer the original Epcot. But this ride is better than many recent rides, and it's more entertaining than the half-witted Seas movie and hydrolators it replaced.
                    But that's what you got when an elevator company sponsered an attraction/pavilion! Looks entertaining, can't wait to see it next week.
                    -Monorail Man

Comment

Great review; a nice look at the technical side too!

BTW; unload is still where the SeaCabs unloaded - this portion of the track is the same as 1986. The return line then turns left, skirts the outside of the tank, and now begins the new load area again instead of running backstage.

The proposed Turtle Talk move would be into the West Theatre (theatre one) - this is still very much intact.

Comment

Too bad it's not in the Magic Kingdom where it belongs.
                        ..and take the advice tendered below and thank you for patronizing Shrunken Ned, the jungle's only self service witch doctor.

Comment

I wish a diagram of the layout of the pavillion was around. I cannot for the life of me remember the exact layout, before this makeover.

Comment

This makes me all the more excited for the Submarine attraction to open at Disneyland.
                            The Mur

Comment

Looks good cant wait to go on it this summer
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EuqxYh6Ks
                              ^sorry if someone already posted a video of the ride but here it is^
                              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Thanks for the update Kevin.

Like Dusty said, can't wait to ride this!!!

Is is Saturday yet?

Comment

Originally posted by figment1986 View Post
                                  quite well, unless your boat misses a censor..
                                  Sorry, but the language cop in me is fighting to get out.

A sensor is what's in a ride to trigger audo or other events.

A censor is guy guy who won't let actors cuss on regular tv.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                                    One side effect I hadn't counted: without a human looking back at me, I somehow gave myself permission to pay less attention. My attention drifted, and... well... I found myself getting sleepy.
                                    I can't argue with that. But at least the new version doesn't make me as uncomfortable as the old one did with the really REALLY bad CM's droning out their boring spiel in a mumbling monotone. Most times I just wanted to smack 'em in the head to try to wake 'em up!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                      Looks good cant wait to go on it this summer
                                      ^sorry if someone already posted a video of the ride but here it is^
                                      For those of you interested, here are three other you tube links of good videos of the ride:
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ-DYYf1amE
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPFqhmc1Q8
                                      and all videos are: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
                                      http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

Comment

Double post
                                        Last edited by pixie chick; 10-17-2006, 05:29 PM.
                                        http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X