This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/19: What's This?

Sue takes a look at Nightmare Before Christmas in Disney Digital 3-D. Discuss it here!

Full Story Here
    Last edited by Dustysage; 10-19-2006, 07:52 AM.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 10/19: What's This?

Why yes, I DO need new music.

The disc shall be mine on October 24th, mark my words!

(I'd just like to say it was a little unnerving to see my name pop up...then I remembered the other guy with the carnival. Oh, yeah, not me...ego, hush up and sit down before you embarass me.)
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Nothing beats going to the El Capitan. I just wish I lived closer. Thanks Sue for the review. It should be cool to see it in 3-D.
      Last edited by Alchimedes; 10-19-2006, 05:31 PM.
      1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Great post, and very informative. I can't wait to go now!

Comment

I've seen Nightmare so many times that I couldn't think of going to see it again. I didn't realize that this one was in 3D, so now I want to see it again

I assume that's exactly why they did it too.
          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
          Save

Comment

Glad you had a wonderful time Sue, the El Cap is always the best place to see a Disney film.

I'm officially "Nightmared out" for the next decade or so but I'm glad people are still enjoying that movie.
            I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
            sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Awesome report. I'm planning on going to L.A. to see it.

Comment

On display are; Oogie Boogie, Lock, Shock and Barrel (shown above), Jack, a Jack armature (which I found terribly interesting), Sally, one of Dr. Finklestein's reindeers along with the good Doctor himself, Mrs. Claus, the Mayor, and a few of Sandy Claws' elfs. You've seen these guys as knickknacks aplenty in the collectible shops, but you haven't see them till you've seen the real deal, and the real deal is so very cool.
                I'M ON DISPLAY?!?!??! ?! WHY THE HELL DIDN'T MY AGENT TELL ME ABOUT THIS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
                Growing older is manditory
                Growing up is however, optional

Comment

My curiosity is in regarding the technology to transform this film into Real D without a second shot? Did they do a second print altering with CGI frame by frame?

Can this process be done with other films? Including live action?
                  Check out my other blog:

Comment

I'm gonna have to change my username to EnvyMan or GreenMan or something like that. Everytime I read about this sort of stuff happening there or read trip reports from people that get to go to the park whenever something new shows up, I get really jealous!

I would LOVE to see the original claymation models on exhibit, not to mention seeing the film at the El Capitan with VIPs in attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound View Post
                      Can this process be done with other films? Including live action?
                      See, the wierd thing was that when I saw Chicken Little at the El Cap in 3-D, it didn't seem like true 3-d. As in, there was depth to the picture, but it looked like a bunch of flat panels at different depths. So Chicken Little's head didn't look like a round object in front of you, it actually looked like a flat 3-d image of a round object that was closer to you than the background. Does that make sense?

With that being said, 1) Nightmare IS live action. As in, they are film images, not computer generated images. 2) I am not sure if or how this process was different than what was done for Chicken Little, but Al was saying that it looked like actual 3-d and not flat panels at different depths. I'm not sure how that works. (Nor do I really want to sit through Nightmare again to find out, I'm really, really sick of those characters).
                      I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                      sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Dark View Post
                        Why yes, I DO need new music.

The disc shall be mine on October 24th, mark my words!

(I'd just like to say it was a little unnerving to see my name pop up...then I remembered the other guy with the carnival. Oh, yeah, not me...ego, hush up and sit down before you embarass me.)
                        Heh, I thought she was talking about you too!

Man, I WISH I could see this at El Cap, but alas, I don't have a grand to drop for flights, hotel, rental car, etc. I will just have to settle for seeing it at my neighborhood Imax. 'Tis better than nothing I suppose.

Comment

^ IMAX is not showing this film. Disney Digital 3D is Disney's own version of 3D that is used at multiplexes. The 3D effect (from what I've heard) comes from a special 'shiny' screen.

There is a great description here, along with theatres that have the Dolby Digital Cinema (Disney Digital 3D): http://www.d-silence.com/story.php?h...1915&comment=1

From the article: "Added Joshua Greer, CEO, REAL D, "The REAL D Cinema system projects left and right frame images sequentially at 144 frames per second -- three times that of traditional film-based 3D movies -- which was the threshold REAL D deemed necessary for creating a natural 3D entertainment experience for the mainstream consumer. As each frame alternates between left and right eye images, the system changes the orientation of the light of match the orientation of the glasses. The polarized glasses that decode the images allow audiences to tilt their heads and move around, making for the most enjoyable 3D movie-going experience ever. Finally, a specially-treated silver movie screen keeps the polarization coherent, allowing audiences to perceive depth. This complete system allows for the most comfortable, highest quality 3D experience ever produced, and one we think audiences will come back to experience again and again."

What disappoints me is that Disney has virtually abandoned the IMAX format. Unfortunately, I don't believe Disney Digital 3D is up to the standards of IMAX. The article makes it sound as if this 3D is truly amazing, eye-opening stuff. From what I saw of Chicken Little 3D, it wasn't even close. In fact, Chicken Little 3D has little to no depth throughout the entire film.

I feel IMAX 3D is a far superior product not only in the 3D aspect, but in the high clarity of the film and the amazing audio as well. And, of course, one cannot forget the giant IMAX screens.

If someone wants more information about IMAX 3D, I'd be willing to tell. I work at our local IMAX theatre.

Comment

I've been a HUGE fan of NBC since it came out and I'm so excited to go see this in 3D!!!! I just hope I don't annoy the people around me if I start reciting the whole movie........
                            Just last night I broke down and bought the 7' Jack from Disney so I can't wait to finally start on my NBC themed office. Snowglobes, masks, big figures, etc. (I hope I have enough space)

Comment

Originally posted by pvcoasterguy View Post
                              ^ IMAX is not showing this film. Disney Digital 3D is Disney's own version of 3D that is used at multiplexes. The 3D effect (from what I've heard) comes from a special 'shiny' screen.
                              Okay, my cousin told me it was playing at Imax and I believed him, but I just went on our Imax website and you are correct. I wonder where it is playing in my town then. Hmmm...off to research.

Edit - This is TERRIBLE, they aren't even showing it in Sacramento. I will have to drive all the way to San Francisco to see it. Argh!!
                              Last edited by lisaboo; 10-19-2006, 09:21 PM.

Comment

This might have been the last Disney Film that was a 5/5.
                                I cant wait to see it in 3D I hope its worth 10 bucks since I could just watch it right now for free.
                                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Sue mentioned at the end of the article that it is playing at the El Capitan through January 1st and I was exited as I don't get the surgery on my Right eye till Novemeber 15th so I thought I would make it. But in the paper today it shows that the movie is only playing at the El Capitan until October 31st. I guess I miss it this year. I hope they do it again next year. But the article should be corrected as it's only there for two weeks.
                                  Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Boy View Post
                                    Sue mentioned at the end of the article that it is playing at the El Capitan through January 1st and I was exited as I don't get the surgery on my Right eye till Novemeber 15th so I thought I would make it. But in the paper today it shows that the movie is only playing at the El Capitan until October 31st. I guess I miss it this year. I hope they do it again next year. But the article should be corrected as it's only there for two weeks.
                                    Lost Boy ... The info in the article is correct. Nightmare is playing through January 1st at the El Capitan. BUT ... starting November 3rd, Santa Claus 3 will also be playing there too. From Nov. 1st onward, Nightmare will only be screened at 10:30 PM and 12:15 AM. SC3's screening times are 10:AM, 12:30 PM, 3:00 PM, 5:30 PM, and 8:00 PM. You can check the El Capitan website for more information www.elcapitantickets.com So ... when you recover from your surgery, you should still be able to see Nightmare at the El Capitan.

Comment

Thanks Sue. I will make sure my freind knows that in case he can't do the late night thing. He has to go into work around 5am.
                                      Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Thank you, Sue! Based on your recommendation I called a friend to set up a group outing to this film. Thirteen of us went to see it on Monday and we all had a GREAT time!

I loved the film in 3-D. I thought it looked great, and this film really lends itself well to 3-D. Although, in the regular Nightmare there is almost a sense of classical composition in each scene; somehow that feeling is lost a little bit here, but it's still a very nice makeover and well worth the effort to go and see. The images are nice and clean, with none of the strange calibration problems you sometimes see in 3-D movies. We experimented with how to look at the screen; if you decide to focus on a part of the screen that was not intended to be the central focus at that moment, it can make the image a little disorienting.

There was mention of a shiny screen being the way this 3-D is made. I don't know the details of how this method works, the glasses are the polarizing type, so different images are being filtered into each eye; and if you take off the glasses during the film, you'll see that different images are spread from side to side to a different degree, and that's what creates depth perception. If I were inventing this process, I'd possibly write some kind of macro program that analyzes film frames, and based on each object's focus, proximity to horizon line and other factors, would assign layer depth values, and color code/tag different zones in each frame for review. Then an editing team would go back and see how well the computer did, and start cleaning it up by hand, frame by frame, with tools to save work across multiple frames, etc. I have no idea how they really do it but it was fun to try and guess what parts of the movie were different this time around. Clearly some specific choices were made to almost redirect various scenes, and I don't know the film well enough to know where they created actual new CGI. It certainly seems that the falling snowflakes must have been created just for this version, but who knows. It was all fun to see and talk about.

Much of what was nice about the movie was that people were cheering and enjoying it so much. I really enjoy the whole El Capitan experience so much. It's easy to forget how lucky those of us in LA are to have it right there. It really adds to Hollywood.

John Lasseter's short had a darker, absurdist take to it -- I didn't realize he had that side to him. Just makes him all the more interesting as an artist, in my opinion. Very talented man and team.

Afterwards we ate at the restaurant 25 Degrees, which is just a few doors down heading west on Hollywood Boulevard. A friend said "let's go for gourmet burgers!" which sounded great. We liked this place so I'm mentioning it to you guys as a possible post-El Capitan spot. The Citysearch reviews are tepid, and yes you can criticize the food but it sure was the perfect satisfying meal for that evening. They handled our unannounced appearance of 13 people very well. There are many exotic cheeses to choose from in building your burger; non-red-meat options are available; and great onion rings with all sorts of dipping sauces. A burger is well over 10 dollars, but I felt that the value was very good; I mean look at what we pay for Disneyland food and this was much better. The grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup was not all that special looking, though, and the sandwich was small. Get a burger if you're going here.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X