This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/12: Incrementally Better

A Walt Disney World Update, Roy & Stan make their move, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Kevin's Lastest Update!

**yawn**

I think the most interesting thing in this update was the fact that Kevin is married. How did he trick a women into doing that? <g>

Just more bitterness. "Disney found a way for us to come to their parks and - now get this - SPEND money." Well, uh, yeah. Thats the whole point. "Dinoland seems a little disorganized - they are actually trying to sell us stuff there!" If there were no one buying the stuff, I'm sure the gift shop wouldn't be expanding now would it?

Give us some real information.

Thomas
    Last edited by TDSTOM; 05-14-2005, 07:33 PM.
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

Comment

Food for thought / Roy's lawsuit

An incrementally better column, big Kev -

The move away from typical burgers and dogs at Fantasyland's Village Haus', now converting to pizza and Italiano cuisine, and the new Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station earns my tripple "Yum" rating. This is not to say I do not enjoy grunting down on common fare, which will always exist in abundance. On the contrary, I'm quite fond of chedder burgers, chedder dogs and chile cheese fries. Hopefully, tourists will gradually warm-up to other options now available.

Speaking of noodles, Roy and Stanley are certainly using theirs. What a shake-up it will be for the board if the strategically planned, timely lawsuit is upheld in the courts. A voided election of directors, disclosure of CEO selection , and legal roadblock against compensation increases would culminate in a new CEO. How grand it would be if the arrogant leadership bubble were to burst, and the entire board were to be replaced. Even though I like Iger presently, the principal of the matter dictates that another CEO is warranted - especially if the board goes hasta la bye bye in the process. Unfortunately, I guess we can forget about Roy speaking at Disneyland's July 17th celebration.

You made a good point, Kevin, regarding how great it is that Soarin' was not built at the expense of another major attraction being closed (it did replace Food Rocks, but it was just a diversion) . Let's hope this represent's a change of policy. Still, the ride will exist as little more than a clone, until a newly themed ride film is incorporated in a few years.

It's great that Lucky the Dinosaur's animatronic show is changed, with the emphasis being on him, instead of a couple of suited idiots that nobody Diggs. But, getting back to food, does Lucky ever eat? Disney works the poor thing to death! If I could, I'd give him a burger and a coke. Perhaps he should consider filing a lawsuit of his own. SAVE LUCKY!
      Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-12-2005, 09:03 AM.
      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

I haven't seen the Tomorrowland Noodle Station yet, as I haven't been to WDW since January, but my opinion is that they should have left burgers and such at that location and opened a noodle / asian place at the now empty Adventureland Terrace.

Comment

I agree, the column was okay but not anything Earth shattering.

I really love Lucky the Dinosaur, he is such a cute dino and his personality is really likeable. He's like a really big puppy dog. I know he's just a bunch of electronic circuits under a latex shell, but he comes to life so fluidly that I can't help but see him as a cute little lovable dinosaur.

So this is the point in the Roy/Stanley battle where the cards are on the table and it's do-or-die at this point. It reminds me so much of the Storming the Magic Kingdom book where Roy used relatively extreme measures to swap an incompetent management with the Brain Trust. I wish Roy and Stanley the best of luck because this is the moment they've been waiting for: to actively catch Disney in the act of deceit.

And shame on the Walt Disney Company for publicly slandering Roy's efforts recently, the man has "Disney" in his name and they are saying he's acting in his own interests!? It is comments like that that reinforce the need for Roy to succeed. If he fails he will be discredited and it will be much harder to gain momentum through Wall Street. But I truly think he will succeed because like Disney's films, the company always seems to have a happy ending...like Eisner/Wells/Katzenberg for the company in 1984 and Matt Outmett for Disneyland in 2003. Whenever Disney founders, it seems there's always one knight in shining armor to bring it back to where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by TDSTOM
            **yawn**

I think the most interesting thing in this update was the fact that Kevin is married. How did he trick a women into doing that? <g>
            Hey now...Let's not get personal. (He drugged her.)

I think this was a good article and no different in tone than most of them.
            "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Here's some real information.

Originally posted by TDSTOM
              **yawn**

Just more bitterness. "Disney found a way for us to come to thier parks and - now get this - SPEND money." Well, uh, yeah. Thats the whole point. "Dinoland seems a little disorganized - they are actually trying to sell us stuff there!" If there were no one buying the stuff, I'm sure the gift shop wouldn't be expanding now would it?

Give us some real information.

Thomas
              You have made your point in several postings, now, that you do not care for Kevin and his columns. Fine. We are each intitled to our opinions. But, the negative reference to he and his wife is uncalled for! How far do you plan to take these over the top personal attacks?

I found Kevin's update insightful and highly interesting with respect to food offerings, Roy Disney's lawsuit, Soarin', and Dinoland. The tenor of his articles is on par with the other columnists, and often a cut above.

Incidentally, your line "How did he trick a "women" into doing that? If you understood the rules of grammar, you would have known to use the word "woman" in its singular form here. Enough said.
              Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-15-2005, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Great article Kevin. I get over to WDW about once a month but still cant get the amount of info you seem to get. One thing I am going to have to call you on though is Soarin. In actuality Soarin did replace Food Rocks, granted the show was very outdated and either needed to go or get a massive refurb. Although on the plus side MGM got a new show without losing a ride (Residential Street isn't a ride) and AK has Everest coming soon.

Jack

Comment

Thanks Keven,

Roy and Stan's lawsuit is only the beginning of an endgame as far as I can see... the case will likely not be resolved soon, and could get ugly... It is more likely to set pressure on the Board of Directors, and we are likely to see further action next year at the annual meeting... As I doubt the lawsuit will go to trial that quickly...
                  Check out my other blog:

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree with a lot that was said about the three stories of Dinoland.

Dinoland is Merely an exagerated version of Vernal, Utah.

In Vernal and nearby Dinosaur National Monument, you'll find:

1) A dig site, where students frequently go to dig. Don't believe me? Stay a night in the campground -- I gaurantee that the visiting college of the week will keep you up all night.

2) A museum built on and *over* the dig site.

3) Crazy tourist trap -- Vernal, just like Orlando, makes a lot of money off of the nearby major attraction. In fact, I believe they may call themselves something along the lines of Dinoland, USA.

Believe it or not, Dinoland, USA is part of AK's attempt at ultra-realism, although Dinoland is more of an exagerated ultra-realism.
                    -Tim

Comment

Big oops on my part, there, with regard to Soarin' not replacing anything. I had been thinking about RIDES and not attractions, and so it slipped my mind about Food Rocks. Perhaps I was just blocking that out, since it had replaced the superior Kitchen Kabaret?
                      Kevin Yee
                      MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                      Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                      Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                      Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                      Mouse Trap
                      Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                      101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                      Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee
                        Big oops on my part, there, with regard to Soarin' not replacing anything. I had been thinking about RIDES and not attractions, and so it slipped my mind about Food Rocks. Perhaps I was just blocking that out, since it had replaced the superior Kitchen Kabaret?
                        Good answer! :devil:
                        -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee
                          Great reply Kevin. Also consider this, Food Rocks and its predecessor, Kitchen Kaboret, were each only minor components of a main attraction, that being The Land pavillion and it's boat ride. Soarin' did not replace this attraction. To this end, it is definitely not a replacement of an entire attraction, or any significant part of one.

Originally posted by bartman454
                          Great article Kevin. I get over to WDW about once a month but still cant get the amount of info you seem to get. One thing I am going to have to call you on though is Soarin. In actuality Soarin did replace Food Rocks, granted the show was very outdated and either needed to go or get a massive refurb. Although on the plus side MGM got a new show without losing a ride (Residential Street isn't a ride) and AK has Everest coming soon.

Jack
                          Bartman454 is absolutely right that Disney seems to be moving in the right direction with respect to Expedition: Everest and the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show. Should the rumored Brother Bear Raft Ride and Journey To the Center of the Earth be built, they would not replace any existing rides either (or anything else for that matter).
                          Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-15-2005, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Kevin, you mentioned Power Rangers and ABC Family. As a father of a seven year old boy, I have to tell you that the purchase of Fox family & Fox Kids Europe has resulted in a bonanza for Disney in a market they had little penetration, that is the 7-11 year old boys. Disney Channel has the tween girls, but this aquisition gave Disney Pwer Rangers, Digimon, Beyblade, etc. All of these are very popular with the elementary school male audience.

As a matter of fact, as a result of this, Toys R Us once again carries Digimon Toys (they were non-existent 2 years ago, and could only be found on eBay), and stores have an odd habit of selling completely out of Power Rangers.

These shows not only show up in the mornings on ABC Family, but also appear at night on Toon Disney (both as part of Jetix), but Powere Rangers also shows up on Saturday mornings on ABC Kids. These shows have given Disney a way to attarct a crowd and also launch original programming like W.I.T.C.H.

My first grade son can hardly wait for the next trip to WDW to meet the Power Rangers.

Was $5+ billion too much? It seems like a lot, but Disney is finding ways to use the assets.

Comment

about those empty restaurants

David "Bobo" Brooks's comments on the restaurant choices in "middle America" notwithstanding, I think there are plenty of people from all over that would be eager to try the offerings of the Noodle Station and Studio Catering. Having just said that, there are also a great many who would trip over themselves running away from these eateries. I never considered myself particularly worldly, but neither of these menus seem particularly avant-garde. I must be sheltered, because a thread on another board (WDWM_g_c, cuogh cough) features about half the respondants flipping out over the "weirdness" of Studio Catering's new menu. Some even profess to never have heard of a "gyro" or "hummus." Huh?

I think the other side of the sparse crowds is explained by a snobbishness factor. I would suspect that many of those who would eagerly gobble a bowl of pad thai or tabouleh probably figure that nothing could compare to their favorite "joint" back home, and that "authentic ethnic" food could only be produced in a setting more "gritty" or "earthy" than could be found in WDW.

Thus, WDW food service is rewarded for breaking out of the hamburger/chicken fingers rut by getting smacked from both sides. One can only hope the summer crowds will bring more partronage.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                    Tokyo?? That is news to me. I've heard HKDL would get "Tarzan Rocks" but not Tokyo Disneyland.
                                    Yikes! Two mea culpas in one article. I'd better check the water - must have been drinking something. I had this backward; thanks for the catch.
                                    Kevin Yee
                                    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
                                    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974
                                      I know you have a young child so you have an inate bias, but just think about this rationally. WDW closes an E-Ticket attraction, lets the lagoon become an attraction for bugs after sitting empty for a decade and then fills it in to build a glorified McDonald's play area! When basically all of Toontown Faire serves this purpose to boot. It's things like this that make me ill. The MK was built for families, not toddlers, not thrill-seekers, not old fogeys ... FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY TOGETHER.
                                      No argument from me. I wrote it up as I did because the article was trying its dardest not to be negative, and look on the bright side of everything.

HUH? As a Florida native, I have to say that May is usually one of the nicest weather months of the year. Warm days, humdity not too bad, rains usually don't arrive until Memorial Day. That's why I always try to get a weekend in at WDW in May.
                                      I was operating on last year's experience (early May was oven-like) and then numerous discussions with longtime locals when I said that May was usually warmer than this. I'm willing to stand corrected! I'd love to be wrong. This is fabulous weather.

Kevin, all I am going to say is you haven't been here long enough if you think WDW doesn't close attractions down without replacements or swaps one for the other. This post is already too long, but if you'd like examples, I could give you plenty.
                                      I think here I must have been unconsciously comparing it to Disneyland, where they absolutely positively close things every time they open something new. That's not happening at the car stunt show, at Everest, with Lucky the Dino, etc.

I do know that WDW closes rides (while I like Buzz, I miss the no-wait of Dreamflight and Take Flight), but the overall tenor isn't the same as what Disneyland has lived with for years now, and that's what I had meant to get across... just couldn't do it without my prose turning clumsy!
                                      Kevin Yee
                                      MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
                                      Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Comment

Great Article, Kevin!
                                        Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
                                        Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X