This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/25: Fifteen Reasons Why

Should you reconsider that trip out to Walt Disney World? Discuss Kevin's fifteen reasons here.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 9/25: Fifteen Reasons Why

Kevin, thanks for taking the time to tell us why you still like the parks. As I've stated before, I have no problem with you critiquing the parks. I certainly do myself. But don't lose sight, and don't let your readers lose sight of what is still great about the parks. Make sure your journalism is balanced. This article goes a long way towards doing so. I've heard several people read your articles (or Al's) who haven't been to WDW in years or have never been and then question why they'd even want to go.

I understand the reason for your criticism. But don't let the criticism get so thick that people can no longer see anything but bad. Thanks for the positive article.

Comment

Great Article Kevin!!!

2. Infrequent visitors may not notice the problems. Not only was I at Disney front-line CM for fifteen years, I also visit Disney parks twice every week, so my eye sees things that others miss. Often, I bet those things stay completely invisible. So it's quite possible that an infrequent visitor wouldn't have any problems whatsoever, even if cleanliness or maintenance isn't what it should be. You should still choose WDW for your vacation.

A few of us that were on Invasion I last year were discussing this over the weekend. Since many of us were first timers, we didn't notice alot of the things. Again, not saying they aren't there, but it's definately something that alot of first-timers don't consider.

Regarding "Comparing Disney to Disney" I think this is a great point. As somebody who frequents non-Disney as well as Disney parks, I don't find myself comparing Disney to itself alot of times. I'm always comparing Disney to Six Flags or Knott's. And of course, Disney comes out on top every time.

I'd like to hope I don't have 'rose colored lenses' when it comes to Disney (because I do know everything isn't perfect, and have had my share of bad experiences with rides, food, CM's, etc) but it's still Disney. And it's still good.

Comment

I enjoyed the article. It was refreshing to see something so positive about Disney World here.

Comment

Wow, a lot of this stuff a few people need to remember...especially about Disneyland..

Comment

Finally...thank you!!!!! :bow:

Comment

I'm all about balance in a discussion, so I really enjoyed your positive post, Kevin. Keep up the hard stuff, but it's nice to have the warm & fuzzies from time to time.

2. Infrequent visitors may not notice the problems.
              I get a little miffed at online pundits who demand that I be just as incensed as they are at the perceived shortcomings of the parks, especially the MK. I'll acknowledge that most of the time I can see the problems just fine, but I don't let them color my vacation. Yet I'm called a coward because I don't march into City Hall and complain about every little slight. Tell ya what - I'm just gonna enjoy my vacation, and save the critiques for the online world.

Comment

Very nice! Great way to address your accused constant crisitcism hehe. I, for one, love your articles but also find it very refreshing to have such an article apart from one thing...

I want to go to WDW now

Comment

I like the intent, but the effort was kind of amateurish for you.
                  Reasons 3, 4 and 11 are basically the same thing. And you could pick any number of attractions or shows to be a reason all by themselves in my opinion. It's all a matter of taste, but I enjoy Soarin' and ToT way more than Illuminations for instance.

Still love your columns though Kevin.

Comment

Wonderful coloumn.
                    I just hate the fact that I can't enjoy all this stuff for another year, when usually right now I would be in to heavy planning for my Disney vacation within two weeks.

The picture at the end with the castle, the sky and the roses particularly sums up my memories of the Magic Kingdom, and is a stunning picture.
                    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by DizneGreg View Post
                      I like the intent, but the effort was kind of amateurish for you.
                      Reasons 3, 4 and 11 are basically the same thing. And you could pick any number of attractions or shows to be a reason all by themselves in my opinion. It's all a matter of taste, but I enjoy Soarin' and ToT way more than Illuminations for instance.

Still love your columns though Kevin.

But Soarin' and ToT are not reasons to go to WDW. I can get those on the left coast. Illuminations on the other hand is only at WDW.

Comment

Thanks for your top 15 reasons to visit WDW, Kevin. I'm sure people can make up many, many more reasons for visiting the parks and the entire resort. I could easily make a list of the 50 reasons to go to WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Mica View Post
                          But Soarin' and ToT are not reasons to go to WDW. I can get those on the left coast...
                          Sure they are, if you live in the bulk of the country that ISN'T in or near southern California.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Mica View Post
                            But Soarin' and ToT are not reasons to go to WDW. I can get those on the left coast. Illuminations on the other hand is only at WDW.
                            Oh yeah, good point.

Comment

Great article Kevin, thanks for the positive notes about WDW.

:clap:

Comment

Yeah, Kevin. Thank you so much.
                                Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

thank you!! what a nice change of pace. i know im new to the boards, but ive been reading the articles for a long time, and i must admit i agree to your critiques (75% of the time), its nice to be reminded of what makes you love a place like WDW. so..thank you!

Comment

awesome article kevin!

but am i the only one who read the title of the article and thought it would be a list of 15 reasons NOT to go to WDW?

or did i just read that all wrong...?

Comment

Well put, Kevin. Thanks.
                                      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by jackswench84 View Post
                                        awesome article kevin!

but am i the only one who read the title of the article and thought it would be a list of 15 reasons NOT to go to WDW?

or did i just read that all wrong...?
                                        I didn't think that. In fact, I've never gotten the impression in all of Kevin's (or Al's articles for that matter) being told NOT to go to Disneyland.

As Kevin stated so well in his article, he loves Disney, which is why he goes there so much. I know the same can be said for Al. They want Disney to see what they see, so it can be fixed. (which has indeed happened in the past).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X