This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/27: Spooky, Ookie

Guest Columnist Alain Littaye catches you up on the Paris and Hong Kong parks with lots of pictures. Discuss their Halloween events here.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 9/27: Spooky, Ookie

That was an awesome report! I can't wait to see the Paris parks in person.

Comment

Thanks for the report! Things look great around the different parks. The walk through at HK, looks very interesting. I hope someone will post a video soon. It also goes to show that they should have built the Haunted Mansion in HK when it first opened.
      Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

Thanks for the update!!!! I can't believe how godawful the new area of the Studios Park looks. That whole forced perspective thing looks obvious and silly even when viewed from the "proper" angle due to the GIANT HOLLYWOOD TOWER HOTEL looming twice as high as the forced perspective buildings. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I know Main Street uses forced perspective as well, but whether you're walking from or towards the castle, it isn't THAT obvious. And there isn't a giant building right next to, say, the Main Street Arcade.

A Mountain might work there, but a big building where it is obvious how many stories it has? Man, that looks bad bad bad.

Hong Kong, on the other hand, looks like it has some fun Halloween stuff. The parade looks good, I'm intrigued by the ghostly space mountain (I mean, how hard would it be to do Disneyland's Space Mountain with a different soundtrack and projections that don't show the track like the craptacular Rockin' Space Mountain did?). The walkthrough ghost house seems cute too!!
        I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
        sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

ToT opens up on my bday, Dec 22nd. Oh joy. I'll be at WDW that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post
            Thanks for the update!!!! I can't believe how godawful the new area of the Studios Park looks. That whole forced perspective thing looks obvious and silly even when viewed from the "proper" angle due to the GIANT HOLLYWOOD TOWER HOTEL looming twice as high as the forced perspective buildings. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I know Main Street uses forced perspective as well, but whether you're walking from or towards the castle, it isn't THAT obvious. And there isn't a giant building right next to, say, the Main Street Arcade.

A Mountain might work there, but a big building where it is obvious how many stories it has? Man, that looks bad bad bad.
            I agree... I've peeked in from time to time in Disneyland Paris discussion boards here and elsewhere, and I've been surprised at how happy people seem to be with the progress of the area.

Personally, I think the forced perspective "sets" look terrible. Its also really a cheap cop-out for theming, if you ask me.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I think the quality of entertainment being put on is fantastic at Hong Kong and I applaude the resort for being willing to spend so much money for their Halloween celebration, but I've got a problem. It seems they are trying to go too scary. I'm not saying they succeeded in this attempt, because it still seems rather tame, but the haunted hotel on Main Street just seems wrong to me. A body in the bath tub!?!? I don't think Halloween should be a scary holiday when Disney celebrates it. Nothing Disney does should ever be out right scary. It can be startling and spooky, but ultimatly it should be fun. If it doesn't at some level make you smile, then I don't think it should be in a Disney park.

That's why, even though I'm bummed we don't have a parade or special fireworks for the event, I like HalloweenTime at Disneyland. It's fun and happy. Maybe that's not what the Chinese audience wants, so if that's the case then let me know. I saw the advert for the other amusement park that's celebrating Halloween and it seems Disney should take the opposite approach. Don't compete with scary by trying to be scary. Be fun and reach the untapped market that had families that may not be willing to do scary. That's the Disneyland perspective as they compete with Knott's Halloween Haunt.

Feel free to argue with that perspective, I'm curious what other people think.

Comment

Hong Kong looks really cool, the parade looks a little scary for little kids, but I love it. I'm sure the villains afficianados (villinicianados?) will love it.

The Haunted Hotel on Main Street looks really cool too, yes the bathtub full of bloody water is a bit much for our tastes but compared to the average Hong Kong police / crime movie its pretty tame.

Too bad we don't have something like that here.

Now it can be said that the Haunted Mansion is in a different land in every park: Disneyland-New Orleans Square, Magic Kingdom-Liberty Square, Tokyo-Fantasyland, Paris-Frontierland and HongKong-Main Street.

I know the Haunted Hotel is not a Tower Of Terror or Haunted Mansion, but it does look cool.

Comment

Great update, as usual! That parade looks very cool! Interesting about the Haunted hotel at DLHK- the bathtub scene looks inspired by one of the original sketches for "walk-through" version of THM (See Jason Surrell's HM book for the sketch, or doombuggies.com). Thansk for sharing!
                  Jon A. Leslie
                  nojarama
                  http://www.nojarama.com

Comment

I also agree that the bloody bathtub scene is just wrong. The haunted Space Mountain could be interesting. I bet if it is popular that Anaheim may get it next year.

I also agree about the problems with the forced perspective around TOT in Paris. It doesn't look right. I also think it is dumb that it is just supposed to be a movie set. They really should theme it like the other parks.

Comment

I kinda like the idea of the movie set for Tower of Terror, but why would you have this huge real looking hotel in a movie set and obvious fake ones around it. I liek the idea of the Haunted hotel on Main Street for Halloween as they don't have a Haunted Mansion yet. I'm not sure if possible, but I think it would be intersting to see their Haunted Mansion somewhere by Main Street.
                      Jeff Wayne

Comment

A haunted hotel ride on main street would be cool though I don't think it's the most ideal place to put an E-Ticket or any ticket really. I think Hollywood Blvd will work well with the rest of the studios and Toon Studios, certainly the real buildings look good, it just needs to grow WDS, and it's a step in the right direction really. They just need a couple more street sets, say, NY and SF, then a backlot-style section behind dedicated to sound design to get a rounded park

Comment

Thanks for the update. The Hong Kong parade and Space Mtn look totally awesome.

I just find it HILARIOUS that when Nightmare Before Christmas came out I had to drive 25 miles to the nearest theatre it was showing (and I was living in "The Valley" at the time). Now Jack is so popular he's almost not cool anymore. Almost.

Comment

Am in agreement with others here. It's great that WDS is getting some attention but that boulevard is very unconvincing despite a few beautiful details...it's too short for one thing, for another the forced perspective facades are cheap, obviously fake, and at odds with the scale of 3D Tower of Terror. Personally (and no offence to any DCA admirers) I have always found this version of the TOT very ugly. I know it's supposed to be "art deco" but there's not a whole lot of deco detailing and the overall form is bulky and unattractive to me. All in all I fear the WDS with its flawed layout and uninspired attempts at improvement, will be never more than a somewhat random collection of rides. A true ugly duckling of a park sitting next to the most beautiful swan.

Don't like the Hong Kong walk-through from what I've seen here. It's Disney mixed with "The Shining"...and this combination is not very appealing. Seems like an awful lot of hooplah for a minor and transient attraction...ignoring the real problem of the lack of rides.
                            Down with the Hat

Comment

Originally posted by tasman View Post
                              Am in agreement with others here. It's great that WDS is getting some attention but that boulevard is very unconvincing despite a few beautiful details...it's too short for one thing, for another the forced perspective facades are cheap, obviously fake, and at odds with the scale of 3D Tower of Terror. Personally (and no offence to any DCA admirers) I have always found this version of the TOT very ugly. I know it's supposed to be "art deco" but there's not a whole lot of deco detailing and the overall form is bulky and unattractive to me. All in all I fear the WDS with its flawed layout and uninspired attempts at improvement, will be never more than a somewhat random collection of rides. A true ugly duckling of a park sitting next to the most beautiful swan.

Don't like the Hong Kong walk-through from what I've seen here. It's Disney mixed with "The Shining"...and this combination is not very appealing. Seems like an awful lot of hooplah for a minor and transient attraction...ignoring the real problem of the lack of rides.
                              I agree.

Although, I don't think that the Main Street Haunted Hotel at HKDL is necessarily ignoring the lack of rides - it isn't a permanent attraction, its seasonal. If it stuck around after Halloween, then you'd be spot-on.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I'd forgotten to comment about Space Mountain in my post...as opposed to the Main St. haunted house...this idea seems a really neat and appropriate seasonal overlay...one that would be nice to have here in the States as well.
                                Down with the Hat

Comment

But I'd rather have forced perspective sets than the idea of it being the real Hollywood Blvd and creating yet another total theme mish-mash ala MGM. Call me optimistic, but I think it'll be kinda cool to see the backdrops from different angles

Comment

Hello, Alain Littaye, here.
                                    I have received these interesting details from Tim Turner who saw my MiceAge story on the HKD Main Street Haunted Hotel and wanted to offer some additional information:

"The Main Street Haunted Hotel was designed and build by Cydney Neil. Neil was the long time owner/operator of Rocky Point Haunted House in Salt Lake City, Utah.

For a great many years Rocky Point Haunted House was considered the best haunted house in the United States. 2006 was Rocky Point's last season but Neil's amazing attention to detail and authenticity apparently caught the eye of the folks at Hong Kong Disney who brought her on board to design and create the Main Street Haunted Hotel.

So, how do I know all this? Well, my company, The Ghoulish Gallery, was contracted by Neil to provide changing portraits depicting all the main character's that make up the Main Street Haunted Hotel's back story. As a former Hollywood fx artist, I've worked with some amazingly talented people but I have to say that I've never been as excited about working on a project as I was this one. As a long time fan of Disney's haunted attractions, it was genuinely a dream come true to work on a project with both Cydney Neil and Disney. The only thing that comes close was the hand written letter from Rolly Crump (co-designer of many of the Haunted Mansion's amazing illusions) telling us that our changing portrait were perfect - the best he had ever seen."

Thanks to Tim for these interesting infos!
                                    http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X