Re: 10/9: Dead or Alive?

So, T-Jel is a DoDoM?

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by RenMan View Post
    Good stuff. nice article.

I don't get it with Grizzly River Run. How much of a no-brainer is it to just alter the ride so that guests are misted instead of doused? Then it's ripe for an animatronic makeover that everyone can enjoy all year long. That's not even an expensive alteration as far as I can tell, but of course I don't really know.
    I saw a show on the TV that stated the ride has different levels of splashiness. one for summer, one for winter.
    So, couldn't the "winter mode" be used at night? Is it a huge thing to flip a switch? Are there some operational logistics involved?
    That it is in the middle of the park (as opposed to most of Disneyland's big attractions outside (and/or contributing to) the berm) is the biggest issue with it. It would be nice to be able to use the underneath portions for something. Just another Pressler-responsible decision.
    Last edited by sediment; 10-09-2007, 09:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bigwavedave
    replied

I alway love Al's Disneyland updates. I am happy to hear that a Disneyland landmark is getting a much needed update, but since we are going in February or March I am sad to hear it will be closed When we go (Any thoughts on Disneyland during March or February).
    I do have to disagree with the removal of the sign, many of us love it as a place to take a family photo. It is extremely versital, and I love what they are able to do with it during the different seasons. I don't see what would be wrong with moving it as they move the park forward. It is kind of like the flower arrangement in front of Disneyland.
    I do hope it is still there in Feb, or March for what maybe our last family photo. I understand, it may not mean much to those whom attend the park on a regular basis, but for us out of towners, it has alot of sentimental value. Maybe the few of us whom like it could get a petition to save that DLR icon.
    One final recommendation since Moments with Lincoln, will sadley not be returning, maybe the show could be brought over to California Adventure. It would fit alot better than the Little Mermaid which should be put in Fantasyland were the old Boat ride was. He would fit, because he was instimental in bringing California into the Union during the Civil War.

Leave a comment:

• thejoshualee
    replied

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post

“Whenever I go on a ride, I’m always thinking of what’s wrong with the thing and how it can be improved.” - - Walt Disney
    Do you do that, merlinjones? That's pretty grim. I go on rides to enjoy myself.... I guess I'm a low-life DoM.

Here are some more quotes:
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."
    "Disneyland is a work of love."
    "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
    "Disneyland is a magnificent example of show."
    "It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement- I knew when I was a kid."
    All from the Walter.

1. He said wonderful things about the park. He endlessly championed it. Most of the "WBers" don't. They are afraid it might be used in a board meeting to support the cause of the evil bean counters.

2. You ain't Walt Disney. You ain't in charge of the parks. A businessman will always look for what can be improved and improve it. A-duh.

I think that the online watchdog community does an important job in keeping the public opinion on the mind of the cooperate, but trying to trivialize the opposing viewpoint of that community, by definition just as valid as yours, by giving it a label to make them sound like gibbering fools is just wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Wotan
    replied

Al, thanks for the update, it's the best birthday present I could ask for.

And Death to the DoM!

Leave a comment:

• merlinjones
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MollyTrolly
    replied

Wonderful article, thanks for the update.

I still don’t see how Disney plans to resurrect the Dreams campaign. They have had a full 12 months now and so many people still know nothing about it that adding another year of confusion seems odd to me. Perhaps a name change to make people understand it’s a prize…but honestly because of the nature of how prizes are awarded I am not sure “contest” or “sweepstakes” would be applicable (or legal). And they can’t call the gifts free because I believe most are given away in the parks, so an entrance fee was paid (or AP fee). Even the mail in winners had to pay for a postage stamp, and the postcard. Maybe just call it the “year of a million no strings attached prizes” (although that may be a bit long for a 30 second bookend TV ad). And BTW, even with all the noises throughout the night, I would be willing to tough it out for a nights stay in the gallery suite.

I have to say the concept of DoM scares me, mostly because it infers that those who happen to enjoy things that others feel are not Disney standard are in the wrong, and are the cause of management not making the changes that those others feel are so dearly needed. Mediocrity in most instances is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone should be able to share their opinions without fear of being labeled a DoM, and creating this label I fear may cause some to stay out of a conversation, not wanting to be put into that stereotype. I always thought open sharing of ideas was what we are here for. There isn’t a right or wrong…just opinions.

Leave a comment:

• thejoshualee
    replied

I'm very excited about DCA. Very. I love the place from the heart of my bottom, and the plussing there is very exciting.

The whole DoM thing... Oh, Boo Hoo. People don't agree with you? Create a label that automatically discounts not only their opinions, but also the way they live their lives. And you created the term yourself? Very clever, but, to quote my nine year old niece "Pah-Leeze"

Look, I created a Term: WBrs. It stands for Wife Beaters. They are the ones who think that the best way to show something (or someone) you love it (them) is to point out every flaw be it tiny or humongous. After all, if they didn't love it, why would they spend an strangely large amount of time and energy pointing out the flaws to anyone who will listen.
    I'm not saying that Al is like this, I think his reporting is accurate and entertaining (if not a bit jaded), but there are loads of people in the theme park forums from whom I've read nothing positive at all. They are now WBers and as such are relegated to the sidelines.

Two problems with the DoM term.

1. As stated before, it is a label that automatically takes the opposing viewpoint and neutralizes it with little more than a flippant remark. Not to be dramatic, but this is the same type of response that other derogatory terms are created for. No one supports chipped paint, garbage on the ground, or spectro-magic. But now if someone says "Hey, I like the Maliboomer." They must be a DoM and also support chipped paint and other crap. The logical numbness is staggering.

2. It's elitist, sour grapes, and whiny all at once. If a journalist is going to make observations and label them as "good" or "bad" (which are relative terms anyway) they have to live with and expect that people will disagree with them. instead of calling them names, look at the aguments, throw away the piddly (in your opinion) ones and address the rest in a reasonable and logical way.

I read every update on Miceage, and have for over two years now. I sometimes agree, often disagree, but this is the first time I was.... I don't know.... disappointed.

Seriously, I like reading the updates, I rarely comment, but I felt it needed to be said. With that, everyone may ignore the ramblings of this obvious DoM and return to life.

Leave a comment:

• RenMan
    replied

It will be awesome to see all these changes in place in a couple of years. I would never have thought that management would be willing to fork over the kind of cash that they are for the DCA makeover. I don't think it will turn DCA into a park to rival Disneyland, but I'm hoping it will make it a park that the visiting tourist will gladly spend the entire day at.

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy38
    replied

I cant wait to see some of the images and models for the new DCA Al keeps speaking of. It will be a great trip to two parks, for the first time since it opened, when it re opens.

Leave a comment:

• RenMan
    replied

Good stuff. nice article.

I don't get it with Grizzly River Run. How much of a no-brainer is it to just alter the ride so that guests are misted instead of doused? Then it's ripe for an animatronic makeover that everyone can enjoy all year long. That's not even an expensive alteration as far as I can tell, but of course I don't really know.

That's crazy that there are currently no cameras inside Small World. I'm surprised people haven't taken to serious vandalism in there, armed with that knowledge. I'm glad they haven't, but man, that must be horrible for the CMs to realize that the ride is backed up and to have to run in there to fix things.

I agree with other posters that this DoM concept needs to be handled very carefully. People have the right to say that they enjoy something as-is if they enjoy it as-is. That needs no justification.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

No cameras inside It's a Small World? Now I know where those children came from.

Leave a comment:

• merlinjones
    replied

Thanks for the great article, Al.

I'm especially pleased to hear confirmation that the Country Bears are not forgotten. I hope a new plan for Grizzly Peak that includes them will make it's way through the infrastructure wilderness soon. Even if nothing can be done with the flume ride, I hope the Playhouse can come to a surrounding property, such as the Habittrail.

Good idea for them to redo the entrace area of DCA first. The impression it creates has long tainted the whole experience of the park for the worse. It's so representative of the DCA mistake.

WDI should stage a "tear down the wall" day ala Berlin for that hideous mural and let the people take a whack!

As for DoMs - - great term - - and why has MiceChat been plagued with such a huge influx of these kinds of posts since early summer? There seems to be an army of such posters that registered in summer of '07 - coming seemingly out of nowhere. And some of the posters are not just polite defenders of mediocrity, management, "change" and the status quo, but outright nasty and hostile about Walt Disney, quality art and attractions and traditions of the company... sort of like actual Walt Disney Company executives and publicists.

Hmmm.......
    Last edited by merlinjones; 10-09-2007, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    That section sounded more like a justification on why being negative is good.

Why should people be insulted for actually enjoying something? Because it doesn't match up to someone else's 'standard' they shouldn't be allowed to say they enjoyed something and it was good?

Labeling is insulting when the label is used in a derogatory way.
    People have the right to be wrong, and the benefit of being corrected.

Most DoM's are likely paying commensurate to what they're getting, to the detriment of those who pay more. If only there were a way for all to pay more equally for the same product....

Leave a comment:

• Swisskapolka
    replied

Great update -- looking forward to all the DCA changes!

Can someone explain the best way to convince the powers that be to raise wages and standards in order to make competent cast members show up and stick around? Last summer I had a long talk with a new hire, but as he was over 60, he was basically working at Disneyland for fun and almost seemed to feel his role was to model good work ethics for younger new hires. While that's a great attitude, wouldn't it be great if all new hires shared it?

Leave a comment:

• jimmay
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    That section sounded more like a justification on why being negative is good.

Why should people be insulted for actually enjoying something? Because it doesn't match up to someone else's 'standard' they shouldn't be allowed to say they enjoyed something and it was good?

Labeling is insulting when the label is used in a derogatory way.
    I, for one, find this new branding "DoM" a little problematic. It isn't that difficult to envision it being thrown about excessively in regards to controversial topics. Consider, for example, the DCA question. There has been quite a spirited debate regarding the thematic implications of the Little Mermaid addition in the SF area, for example, as well as the now apparently moot Ratatouille coaster and the now impending Carsland, with heavily vested, even overtly emotional opinion holders on both sides of the debate. I fear this new introduction into the Micechat rubric may result in flat, disregarding, effictively invective argumentation.
    In the case of the DCA Little Mermaid ride, where some have passionately argued that such potential thematic inconsistency is cheap, senseless, and decidedly un-Disneylike, it doesn't take much imagination to see that those excited about the possibility of the ride (especially as an alternative to the lackluster Golden Dreams), and are adopting a wait-and-see attitude towards the theming of the ride and show building might immediately be branded "Defenders of Mediocrity." Now the unenviable opinion-holder has to contend not just with a defense of his or her opinion against a divisive and potentially inaccurate label, but also the tacit appeal to authority such an accusation entails.

Leave a comment:

• DizneGreg
    replied

Originally posted by Tinkermell View Post
    Can someone please answer this question? Will Midway Mania be somewhat like Buzz Lightyear?? Or will it have alot more interaction? I do know that there are 3-D glasses, but what else???

Thanks! And thankyou Al for another wonderful article! I look forward to reading them!!
    (I was kind of surprised you didn't mention Hawaii's resort, but maybe that doesn't count here on this thread?)
    More interactivity I don't know about, but instead of just shooting at targets with a gun, you will do stuff like launch rings at target stands, squirt "water" at targets, shoot "darts" at balloons. All the ammo is virtual. The scenes can be changed out easily because they are all virtual. ANd the games can be balanced per rider so that kids can compete with adults.

Leave a comment:

• Tinkermell
    replied

Can someone please answer this question? Will Midway Mania be somewhat like Buzz Lightyear?? Or will it have alot more interaction? I do know that there are 3-D glasses, but what else???

Thanks! And thankyou Al for another wonderful article! I look forward to reading them!!
    (I was kind of surprised you didn't mention Hawaii's resort, but maybe that doesn't count here on this thread?)

Leave a comment:

• HeyBaloo
    replied

As always; great update Al. I always wondered why sometimes the Small World boats would just come to a stop....and we would just sit there...for what seemed like forever...and ever....trapped, slowly and surely going mad, and wondering why we decided to enter the realm in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• DizneGreg
    replied

No new news on other Disneyland future attractions? Tomorrowland? I will be visting Disneyland/ DCA in December. Currently reside in MN. Looking forward to seeing the Old DCA one last time, knowing it will be so much better by the time I am probably able to return. It does my heart good to see that they are actually trying to improve their big mistake. They have to do something to justify the ever-increasing ticket hikes.

Cars 2? That is news to me, and good news as I loved the first one. I am VERY EXCITED about this new land and E ticket ride.

Also very excited about Little Mermaid. Saw the ride-through on the DVD, and was immediately wishing I could ride this some day. Dreams do come true.

And the lagoon show sounds awesome. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!

BTW, I am not a MoD.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X