X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/9: Dead or Alive?

Originally posted by rgrant999 View Post
    I just saw a movie today, but I will hold off having an opinion on it until there is a poll here on MiceChat or one of the columns tells me to hate it or love it.
    You can think whatever you want to about the movie, but generally speaking it'll either be a good movie, a bad movie, or have mixed reviews when you take everything into account.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
      You can think whatever you want to about the movie, but generally speaking it'll either be a good movie, a bad movie, or have mixed reviews when you take everything into account.
      Had not thought of that - thank you for the clarification.
      Last edited by rgrant999; 10-13-2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Regarding the Small World... I actually like the "flooded look"... I am surprised it is referred to as being "gloomy".

Comment

OK, I just got back from 12 days overseas... so I'm just catching up on Al's article... and didn't have time to look at the 21 pages of responses - so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but...

No mention of a Villians overlay to Screamin' - nor one in the last update on the DCA overhaul. I'm suspecting this is now dead? I brought up the question last time, too - but heard no response. I'm assuming, then, that the only changes to Paradise Pier are the following:

Toy Story Midway Mania (and related theming)
          The extraction of Maliboomer
          The extraction of Route 66 and Golden Dreams, replaced with Little Mermaid omnimover
          Disney's World of Color (and related changes to viewing areas)

Is that the list?

Comment

I find it amazing that anyone would defend people doing drugs in the parks. That's what Uncle Walt wanted when he started the happiest place on earth, right? A total lapse of morals and no regard to laws.
            I'm with you, DevilDucky.
            And what an outstanding article....

Comment

Originally posted by thejoshualee View Post
              The whole DoM thing... Oh, Boo Hoo. People don't agree with you? Create a label that automatically discounts not only their opinions, but also the way they live their lives. And you created the term yourself? Very clever, but, to quote my nine year old niece "Pah-Leeze"

Two problems with the DoM term.

1. As stated before, it is a label that automatically takes the opposing viewpoint and neutralizes it with little more than a flippant remark. Not to be dramatic, but this is the same type of response that other derogatory terms are created for. No one supports chipped paint, garbage on the ground, or spectro-magic. But now if someone says "Hey, I like the Maliboomer." They must be a DoM and also support chipped paint and other crap. The logical numbness is staggering.

2. It's elitist, sour grapes, and whiny all at once. If a journalist is going to make observations and label them as "good" or "bad" (which are relative terms anyway) they have to live with and expect that people will disagree with them. instead of calling them names, look at the aguments, throw away the piddly (in your opinion) ones and address the rest in a reasonable and logical way.
              I completely agree. Its nice to know that peple arent allowed to shre their opinions, or disagree with people who are negative.

I also think that people are tired of the constant badmouthing of WDW.

I look forward to the updates, but I have to say that I am growing a little tired of all of the negativity.
              sigpic
              When attractions were original

Comment

Leno just used the "its a small world" story in his show.

Comment

So Al, when do they really start construction? PLEASE have an update tomorrow!!! I am dying here.

Comment

Originally posted by thejoshualee View Post
                    The whole DoM thing... Oh, Boo Hoo. People don't agree with you? Create a label that automatically discounts not only their opinions, but also the way they live their lives. And you created the term yourself? Very clever, but, to quote my nine year old niece "Pah-Leeze" Two problems with the DoM term.

1. As stated before, it is a label that automatically takes the opposing viewpoint and neutralizes it with little more than a flippant remark. Not to be dramatic, but this is the same type of response that other derogatory terms are created for. No one supports chipped paint, garbage on the ground, or spectro-magic. But now if someone says "Hey, I like the Maliboomer." They must be a DoM and also support chipped paint and other crap. The logical numbness is staggering.

2. It's elitist, sour grapes, and whiny all at once. If a journalist is going to make observations and label them as "good" or "bad" (which are relative terms anyway) they have to live with and expect that people will disagree with them. instead of calling them names, look at the aguments, throw away the piddly (in your opinion) ones and address the rest in a reasonable and logical way.

I read every update on Miceage, and have for over two years now. I sometimes agree, often disagree, but this is the first time I was.... I don't know.... disappointed.

Seriously, I like reading the updates, I rarely comment, but I felt it needed to be said. With that, everyone may ignore the ramblings of this obvious DoM and return to life.
                    Okay...I know this is a month old and probably no one is reading anymore, but I would just have to disagree with Tgel on this one, which is weird because usually I find myself agreeing with him...or laughing...one of the two.

However, in this case, I would say I'm pretty far on the other side of the fence. I think what Al has in mind by using the name "DOM" can be seen in a recent thread I started just before this update came out...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...light=bad+show

I was really surprised at the...um...energy....I would almost use the term "ferociousness" at which people jumped in to defend the idea of doing landscaping, sanding, waterpressure blasting using loud aircompressors, etc, etc, during park operating hours. My question was predicated on not having observed THAT much activity and noise in the park, unless it was behind a partition and out of view of park guests. In a sense, these individuals were defending Disney on what seemed to be a clear step backwards in terms of presentation compared to what I recalled not to long ago.

I think Al ruffled a few feathers by stating that there are SOME individuals who jump to the defense of the Disney company REGARDLESS of what we as guests/consumers feel we are losing, be it shorter park hours, a half ***ed second park with off the shelf rides, etc, etc. I think Al's encouragement here was to tell the Disney company, with as loud of a collective voice as possible, that we want them to keep their standards high.

"It's good enough" vs. "Are you people out of your minds!?" If we all agree that it's good enough, NOTHING will improve. But if enough of us yell and scream, or....don't attend a park because we think it's a half day park, etc, etc....eventually someone will notice. With ONE BILLION dollars going into DCA now, SOMEONE noticed that the park was losing money, and I feel that we, along with the rest of the Disney online community, had something to do with that.

Having said that, I would not CALL someone a DoM. But I think it IS good to ask ourselves if that is really what we are.

One other thing: If enough people around Eisener had the cajones to stand up to him and say "You CAN'T be serious" about DCA when it was first introduced, I imagine we probably would have ended up with something that wasn't needing a Billion dollar makeover just a few years into it's operation. If we think something sucks, I say we say it loud and say it proud.

Comment

As to your thread, I say, Meh (I say that a lot), it's "off-season," you get what you pay for, etc.
                      (This doesn't apply to the June picture, which I can't see at the work PC.)
                      Also, I can't be sure that this was a trend, with only two data points. I don't like it if it is, though. Maybe the big equipment couldn't be used with walls nearby.
                      What it does seem to show, though, is that large parts of the park should be refurbished at the same time, instead of small parts here and there as necessary. Riverbelle needs a rehab? Then do a large part of Frontierland around it. And put the whole park on a long-term schedule, with Imagineers in teams in charge of plussing their section.

Comment

Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier just talked about this article in the latest SModcast. Definitely worth a listen and for adult ears only.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                          As to your thread, I say, Meh (I say that a lot), it's "off-season," you get what you pay for, etc.
                          This holds true for the Disney owned parks, but not every Disney park.

At Tokyo Disneyland they don't punish you for going in the off-season. The parks are open until 10PM every single night (trains generally stop running at midnight and I think that's why it's not open that late) and big shows like BraviSEAmo, Dreamlights (their version of the electrical parade) and Mythica are all performed even on weekdays.

This concept is all but lost on the American parks, where you pay the same amount for admission but get less entertainment. TDR admission is actually cheaper than the American parks on top of that.

Comment

I hardly post here at all. Something has to really move me to get me to commit my thoughts for everyone to see. BUT, I went to DL and CA in Feb. of '06. They had just opened Monsters', Inc. I bet a lot of you like it. I think it's putrid! And I used to be a staunch defender of all things Disney. I even have a Disney web site. And I still love Disney, just not ALL of it, like I used to. So, I guess I'm an ex-DOM!

But truly, the parks in Anaheim are going downhill. And it all started with Paradise Pier. From the first time I saw what they were doing during the construction, I knew it would fail. Heck, if people wanted to go on things like that they could go to Magic Mountain!
                            And going back a few postings, to the one about the lack of security. This is something else that really got me the last time I was at DL. My DH and I were leaving the Magic Kingdom, waiting to get on the tram. Now, I've been getting on and off the trams in Anaheim and Orlando since 1975. Never had a problem. But this time, as I stepped onto the first step up, this HUGE (tall and big, both) guy in his late teens, early twenties, jumped up there and nearly knocked me off the step! I said, "Excuse me", he just stood there, pushing me. I raised my voice and said again, "EXCUSE ME!", and shoved past him. ( I won't be bullied!) He said something to / about me I won't repeat and my husband who was behind him spoke up and they got into an argument right there ON the tram! It went on all the way to the parking area! My point is, there was NO SECURITY. It could have gotten really dangerous, but turned out this big bullier of women was a chicken when faced by a man and took off the minute the tram stopped! But, really, where was security? I was shocked there was none.
                            But then, I'm also horribly shocked and saddened by the news that they're "tagging" the employee areas. So sad.............
                            Last edited by MouseGoddess; 01-03-2008, 03:55 AM. Reason: Punctuation
                            sigpic....If you can dream it, you can do it.--Walt Disney

Em Eye See, Kay Eee Why, Em Oh You Es Eee!

Are you a Disney Goddess? Me too! Check out my new T-shirt design here:

http://www.zazzle.com/Disney_goddess...88578286472471

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X