• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Re: 10/9: Dead or Alive?

Originally posted by MegaDisney View Post
    Who said anything about accepting anything Disney puts out as quality?There are many Disney decisions, movies, music, rides, and shows that I think totally suck.

But I feel like Al has lumped people who disagree with his acessment of the company into a group and put a deragatory label on us, and that is not only unfair, it is a broad generalization that was bound to offend a lot of people. It almost seems like a personal attack on many of us here on Micechat.

Disney movies that suck? name ten. I dare you

Leave a comment:

• MegaDisney
    replied

Originally posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    We need to bid farewell to accepting anything Disney puts out as quality entertainment.
    Who said anything about accepting anything Disney puts out as quality?There are many Disney decisions, movies, music, rides, and shows that I think totally suck.

But I feel like Al has lumped people who disagree with his acessment of the company into a group and put a deragatory label on us, and that is not only unfair, it is a broad generalization that was bound to offend a lot of people. It almost seems like a personal attack on many of us here on Micechat.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1981
    replied

No cameras in It's A Small World?!?!? That shocks me! Guess I'll have to head over there w/ the wifey, cuz we've actually been told to cool it down over the loud speaker on Mansion! :blush:

Do people really think the "flooded" version of Small World is worse? When I went to Disney World, I thought this was much nicer than the blue-green flume I could peek over and see oscillating fans, carpet pieces, and wires. Small World has always felt like the warehouse that it is to me!

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
    HOO-LARIOUS! How were the first wave of merchandise orders?

Boy! this is the best example of passive agression I've ever seen in a post! by the way..where can I get my DoMs T-Shirt?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

Okay. My 2 cents.

I think people who love anything unconditionally other than their children need to be taken with a grain of salt. That goes for Disney and Al as well.

Al has a love/hate relationship with Disney that has served fans very well over the years. Long-time readers know that while Lutz tends to pay some special attention to short-comings he generally hits the nail on the head in several areas. He was right-on about DCA from day one. Lots of people didn't get it when he started writing on a previous site about that disaster. That's okay. Everything he said panned out. It just took nearly a decade to do so.

If he sees a trend in posts that excuse poor showmanship then I would tend to believe his conclusions are based on more than a few of these showing up. Its my guess that
    the reason these posters would be supportive of a poor show is that, by degrees, certain aspects of the Disney experience are not what they were. People who never experienced the old Disney ways wouldn't get this. You have to consider decades and not years when comparing what we experience in the parks now as opposed to what the typical experience may have been 20 or 30 years ago when
    we still had CM's with years of experience and a management team that understood the unique show they present. It's the people who make the parks.

I hate to see Disney throw money at their problems rather than using simple, proven management technique to hire, retain and reward better employees. Build anything you like. Without the right team to run the thing you might as well have flushed a billion down the toilet because it fails to be unique. It fails to be Disney.

Leave a comment:

• Gemini Cricket
    replied

I agree with Al about DOMs.
    He makes a valid point.

Great update. Anything to plus DCA is welcomed.

Leave a comment:

• CoasterMatt
    replied

I guess we all need to bid a fond farewell to the kinder/gentler Lutz we have enjoyed for the past few years.
    We need to bid farewell to accepting anything Disney puts out as quality entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• The Disneylander
    replied

I agree. Just because someone has a different opinion-however off kilter it may be-is no reason to label them as something derogatory.

Other than that, great article.

Oh and BTW, don't bash Al too hard. He probably thought that it was for the best, and maybe it is-but that's no reason to say that we now hate MiceChat.

Leave a comment:

• WDWizard
    replied

Same here. I lost a lot of respect for Al with this article. Although I understand what he is talking about with the "DoM" thing, I don't think its right to make a derogatory term towards someone for having a different opinion than you.

Leave a comment:

• ALIASd
    replied

HOO-LARIOUS! How were the first wave of merchandise orders?

Leave a comment:

• ZedIzDead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rgrant999
    replied

Originally posted by TBAAFAN View Post
    I think what Al is saying is that DoM's are people who would think sh*t on a stick was great if Disney made it.(People that like anything Disney does because it's Disney regardless of quality)
    I think that is where the reaction is coming from - who are these people you describe? Outside of a 6 year old, I've never met one and don't see any posting here. Perhaps I don't read their posts but don't see a lot of people saying Golden Dreams, SuperstarLimo, etc. were awesome - people know "sh*t" when they see it. Again, I don't see people supporting "anything Disney does" - who are these people?

Leave a comment:

• AliKzam
    replied

Great article, Al! Thanks so much for posting again. I really enjoyed it.
    I read all of the posts in the thread. Well, most of them. My eyes started to blur over after a certain point. As a Harry Potter fan, I always connected DoM with "Department of Mysteries" . A lot of surprise has come about with Al's post, and I think it's due to the fact that a lot of posters weren't posting during the Pressler Era, though I could be mistaken. If you were posting between, say, 1996 through 2003, then maybe you understand where some of this is coming from. I think I can speak for many when I say that a lot of people felt betrayed during that time. People were dying on attractions due to lack of up-keep (though I realize the BTMRR incident was later). Heck, the Space Mtn track just collapsed one morning. Little rides were getting shut down. But the merchandise was awesome, right? Our favorite place reeked of corporate greed, and it was seriously showing more than normal. Then suddenly people who cared started taking charge, and things began to glow. Some just want to make sure it continues to glow because they do listen to us, the paying customer. Even if Disney doesn't want to, eventually, they have to. Case in point: DCA. They refer to it as a "problem". And I'm pretty sure the article title "Dead or Alive" refferred to what proposed attractions were still being built and which ones weren't, not about people.
    I didn't enjoy the message that was put twice in the post basically stating that the price increases were necessary to keep the crowds down. But that is my oppinion. I don't know what else could be done.
    I'm surprised more people weren't moved by the whole It's a Small World/Fat People thing. Who knew we were still riding the originals? And as someone who's worked hourly customer service most of her working life, I can totally sympathize with the Small World CMs. I was once called a "fat people-hater", because the department store I work at doesn't carry a plus-sized men's line. People just don't understand what hourly employees have to deal with, sometimes. Just because the positions don't necessarily require college degrees doesn't mean their job isn't demanding or important. I'm really glad Al put this in his article. Maybe some guests will think twice before bad-mouthing them. But then, they probably don't read these things, so perhaps not.
    Oh, and that whole pot-post at the beginning, and the follow-up about it not being a big deal: that was sarcasm, right? Because sometimes sarcasm doesn't read well in print. Despite your oppinions on the matter, pot is still illegal in the entire United States. If security wouldn't want to do anything about the issue, I bet the Anaheim police department would. What a great news story that would be: "Disneyland the new Amsterdam". I wonder how long it would be a problem then?

Leave a comment:

• MegaDisney
    replied

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post
    How funny that when Lutz thinks things are bad, people get up in arms, but they really enjoy him when he thinks things are good.

I guess, point proven.
    I am not up in arms, and I still enjoy reading his articles, I just think it is kinda rude to label a bunch of Micechatters with a term meant in a derogatory manner.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Coincidentally, Al was kinder/gentler during about the same time period as when Cast Member (in perpetuity) Matt was in charge.
    Or was it a coincidence?

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

...I guess we all need to bid a fond farewell to the kinder/gentler Lutz we have enjoyed for the past few years.
    Let's forget the kinder/gentler America and build a bridge to the 21st Century!

Oh wait, this isn't 1992. It sure feels like it with a Bush leaving office and a Clinton going in.

Leave a comment:

• Chernabog
    replied

I guess we all need to bid a fond farewell to the kinder/gentler Lutz we have enjoyed for the past few years.
    How funny that when Lutz thinks things are bad, people get up in arms, but they really enjoy him when he thinks things are good.

I guess, point proven.

Leave a comment:

• TBAAFAN
    replied

I think what Al is saying is that DoM's are people who would think sh*t on a stick was great if Disney made it.(People that like anything Disney does because it's Disney regardless of quality)

Leave a comment:

• MegaDisney
    replied

I too took offense to the DOM thing. I resent the fact that because I choose enjoy something and not nit pic every decision the company makes that I am somehow inferior to people that do. Or god forbid I actually enjoy Rocket Rods, DCA or anything else that Al deems inferior.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedFigure
    replied

Great Article with tons of updates.
    AS for the Dream Suite and the morning madness...I've been there at 3 AM in the park and it was very quiet. You made it seem like it was a very very loud area, but after being there myself- there were people working, but the noise was so minimal. It was actually Peaceful!
    I was so skeptical about Ed Grier, but when I met him he was a very nice man and kept remembering me everytime I ran into him at the park. There is so much that the Directors and production teams do behind scenes, I don't think people give them enough credit. Changes take time for anything...
    I'm just glad I get to ride IASW one more time before the rehab!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X