Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8/4: Nostalgia, Upkeep, Comparison, Oh My!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/4: Nostalgia, Upkeep, Comparison, Oh My!

First in a Series, Reviewing and Deconstructing the Disneyland of 2005, discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/4: Nostalgia, Upkeep, Comparison, Oh My!

Kevin,

While I always enjoy your articles, to be honest I am getting a little tired of everyone who constantly has to compare Disneyland with Walt Disney World. As a former cast member, as I am also, you should remember that each park is unique and very special in its own way. Disneyland was and always will be Walt's park. He built it, he walked in it, and he guided its growth. It was his first "personal playground" if you will. He realized shortly after opening that he should have purchased more of the land around the park in Anaheim, but it was to late. Thus the expanse and "roominess" as you seem to imply that Walt Disney World enjoys.

Yes, Walt Disney World is bigger, wider streets etc., but the park in Anaheim is Walt's park, the very first, the footprint on what all other Disney parks are based on. I love Disneyland for the fact that it is so much more intimate than any other Disney park. It is unique and very special. Please stop putting it down so much by comparing it with the other parks that came after. Remember if it were not for Walt's dream of Disneyland, Walt Disney World may have never been built.

Just enjoy each park for its unique beauty and history, don't try to compare them, it really is not fair.

Just my 2 cents!

Comment

I agree in that I love Disneyland more due to the intimate feeling there. Obviously, as a columnist, you can compare all you want and to each his own, but I'll be loyal to Disneyland for life. I too started going once a year, every year, and now I go about 3 times a year. I have, however, noticed the same things you have, paint chipping away, garbage piling up, rude rude rude CMs, etc. They must be lowering their standards when hiring or something because it's getting pretty bad. I'm hoping this new team will build the morale back up again. I used to brag about Disneyland like it was my own park, but I can't even do that anymore because things have gotten so bad, not to mention the huge increase in pricing making it impossible for families I know to go anymore. whew..Now that I've vented, again, great article, Kevin. Keep up the good work.
      Last edited by LittleTink; 08-04-2005, 01:04 PM. Reason: I gave credit to Al when I meant for it to go to Kevin, who actually wrote the article.

Comment

I have always been a Disneyland is better diehard. But on my last trip to Disneyworld I did begin to appreciate the Magic Kingdom a little more. I think it required the familiarity that going more often imparts. And while there may be some small things that are improved on or even better at WDW, Disneyland is still number one in my book.
        VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

The bathrooms do seem dirtier than they used to. One thing that I do appreciate in the bathrooms that I took notice of after visiting Sea World is the children's height sinks. As the parent of a two-year old frequent bathroom visitor, these sinks make a big difference in our experience.

Comment

Great article Kevin!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Excelent article!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Yee
                I expected the slow grins that erupt when you drive past a onetime sundae shop of your youth (now converted to a hardware store), and I was looking forward to the feeling of unreality washing over me when seeing streets from my childhood, indelibly burned into my consciousness but ethereal these past few years, suddenly take solid shape and form again.
                Oh man, Kevin hit the nail right on the head with this sentence! I have experienced what an awkward and delightful feeling it is to see something that you've cherished for decades in real life after it has lived so long in your memory. It's so surreal because your memory sweetens those places into almost like a fantasy world and then to see them again in real life, it's like living out a dream in real life. Things I miss from living in Orange County in the 1980's: Fosters Freeze, strawberry fields, dairies, skating rinks, Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor, and the *real* Knott's Berry Farm. None of those things exist in Orange County anymore, at least not in their original capacity. They are part of a bygone era, and even in the 1980's they were nothing more than holdovers from the 1940's and 50's (and some of them from the 1970's).

But the places that do still exist in Orange County that I remember like my elementary school, house and theater/bowling alley in Valley View that I always rode my bike to, those are the places that bring about that feeling of unreality that Kevin was talking about. That feeling of having your deepest and most cherished memories materialize as if you're walking around in your subconsious memory.

Comment

Kevin, Very well written! I will be in your shoes, so to speak, in just 5 weeks...

Anyway, To respond to a reply above...

I understand the frustration of the park comparisons. I think that if you step back and think about it...WDW is the 'improved' Magic Kingdom that benefited from the mistakes made in Anaheim. Walt would be the first to admit this. This doesn't mean DL is a bad place-- in fact, it has tons of nostalgia for millions of people. You can't, however, convince me that the narrow walkways and crowding, or the encrochment of hotels is a good thing. If we were to measure the overall 'Magical Value' of DL vs. WDW MK, DL would have a higher value per square foot-- but that doesn't make it more magical.

I for one, think WDW is a much more comfortable and well rounded 'total resort'. I think Walt would agree-- but would still come back to Anaheim in much the same way someone goes to their 20 year reunion. It's fun, it brings back amazing memories-- and all the mistakes and foolish things you did back then pop out a bit and make you glad you have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleTink
                    Now that I've vented, again, great article, Al. Your's are my favorites. Keep up the good work.
                    I think you mean "Kevin".

Comment

Very good article, but I can't help but notice that this is the second time he called "Parade of Dreams" the "Share a Dream" parade...anyone else getting bothered by that?...

Comment

Originally posted by goldenstate5
                        Very good article, but I can't help but notice that this is the second time he called "Parade of Dreams" the "Share a Dream" parade...anyone else getting bothered by that?...
                        yes

Comment

Originally posted by goldenstate5
                          Whoops! It's called "Parade of Dreams"? I didn't even know that. I hadn't planned to look it up until the article on the parade and fireworks, and was just surviving on (apparently faulty) memory in the meantime. I'll endeavor to say it correctly next time.
                          Kevin Yee
                          MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                          Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                          Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                          Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                          Mouse Trap
                          Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                          101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                          Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

I go to Disneyland all the time...I have one question. What is "Little Patch of Heaven", I've obviously missed something! Can anyone answer?
                            Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                            it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

great article Kevin, it's nice to see the perspective of someone coming back home after a time away, and i could relate to alot of your renewed impressions. my dad worked at the Bank of America Main Street branch for it's first 5 years, giving this kid some very strong impressions of Disneyland being "home". But the thing that gets me the most everytime I exit 5 onto Harbor blvd. is the "smell" of Anaheim when you're even close to the park. it's a very unique "southern california overlaid with happy." not sure you get the same with WDW spread out so much, but i do envy your room to avoid stroller hell.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X