Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

'The Incredible Hulk'

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Incredible Hulk'

New 'Hulk' boasts better effects, smashing foe

Updated 3h 27m ago

Rhythm & Hues/Universal Pictures/Marvel Studios
    Movie muscle: The green guy in The Incredible Hulk, out June 13,
    is computer-generated. Edward Norton plays Bruce Banner, Hulk's alter ego.

ILM/Universal Studios
    Pale green: Ang Lee brought Hulk to the big screen in 2003.
    The movie made $134 million domestically,
    but some fans were puzzled by its brooding tone.

Photos by Rhythm & Hues/Universal Studios/Marvel Studios
    Smash brothers: Tim Roth, below, turns into Abomination, above,
    who can wreak as much havoc as Hulk.

By Scott Bowles
    USA TODAY
    June 6, 2008

LOS ANGELES — Hulk want do-over.

Just five years after the brute with anger management issues and forgiving pants hit — and splattered against — the big screen, The Incredible Hulk returns to theaters June 13 in one of Hollywood's boldest mulligans.

The movie, this time starring Edward Norton as the scientist belted by gamma rays, breaks Hollywood's golden rule of remakes (studio executives prefer they be call "re-imaginings"): Give audiences time to forget the first one.

Instead, it's the filmmakers who are disregarding the original. And they're wagering $150 million that audiences will follow suit.

If they're wrong, it could sink franchise hopes for the big green guy, who made for a popular 1970s television series with Bill Bixby and is behind only Spider-Man and X-Men in Marvel comic-book popularity.

But translating Hulk onto a 30-foot movie screen has been tricky, even though his 9-foot, 1,500-pound body would seem a perfect fit.

"It's different than, say, Batman or Iron Man," says Rob Worley of Comics2Films.com. "Those movies have human beings in costumes, which gives you a personal connection with the hero. With the Hulk, you have to turn him into a computer-generated character. That can be a fine line to walk."
    Many felt Ang Lee tripped over it in 2003 with his brooding and violent take on the comic-book icon. The film took in $134 million domestically — not bad, but hardly the moneymaker Universal had expected.

Worse, tough reviews and savage fan reaction appeared to mark the big-screen end of the emerald beast.

But in the comic-book world, heroes die and return all the time. And Marvel, which has become one of the most bankable studios in the industry, decided to try what they do with their comic books that are stuck in a rut: slap an adjective like "ultimate" or "incredible" in the title, put a No. 1 on the issue, and give it another shot.

"It's unprecedented for a comic-book movie," Worley says. "And if you don't follow the industry or comic books, you run the risk of confusing people who think they just saw that film."
    full article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ble-hulk_N.htm

'The Incredible Hulk' heading for Canada! Save Yourselves! - 2/26/07
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ncredible+hulk
    5 Stars - A really great movie
    0.00%
    4 Stars- It was pretty good
    72.73%
    3 Stars - It was just okay
    18.18%
    2 Stars - It could have been better
    0.00%
    1 Star - It was worse than the other "Bad" Hulk
    9.09%
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'The Incredible Hulk'

I thought this wasn't really a remake, nor true sequel, as much as it is just another story, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
      I thought this wasn't really a remake, nor true sequel, as much as it is just another story, right?
      Yes, it's another Hulk story. From a few interviews that I read the story is more based on the old TV show than it is on the comics.
      Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

the old TV show though campy, is one of the last decent anthology series to come around in a long time (in no small part to the warm and troubled persona created by Bill Bixby).

even if the movie stinks, at least now we have the complete Bixby series on DVD this time around.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing this especially Ed Norton as the Hulk.

Hopefully it will do well at the box office. To me the trailer looks tantalizing.

Comment

I am very excited for this film and the cameos it contains.

Comment

I'm also looking forward to this one. Can't be any worse then the Ang Lee one.

Comment

I like that they used the tv theme in the trailer. I also like Ed Norton, but as with the Ang Lee film. I don't like the CGI Hulk... Give me Lou Farigno any day, and the CGI Tim Roth evil Hulk looks dopey (no offensive to Snow White's Dopey should be inferred or implied)

Still as previously noted, it can be any worse than Lee's hulk dogs

Comment

I just saw a new commercial on TV featuring Tony Stark's appearance.

Comment

THE INCREDIBLE HULK - TV SPOT #8 [ Spoiler ]
                    (6.7.08):
                    Flash Player
                    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
                      I just saw a new commercial on TV featuring Tony Stark's appearance.
                      I saw that too!

Comment

heck, it can't be any worse that the first one made.

Comment

I have been skeptical about this movie for a long time, but last night i saw a trailer i had not seen and two words made me want to see this opening day

HULK SMASH

What i understand is that they are using Lou Ferigno's vocal track for the hulk. If that's they case, they've got me hooked.

My friend also got a sneak peak of it and called me. All he said was "See It!!! and pay close attention to Tim Blake Nelson's character in the film" and he is a pretty good judge of comic book films in the past.
                          "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

I didn't care to see this movie until I saw the trailer in front of "Iron Man" and the most recent TV spot. I'm sold.

Comment

First industry reviews:

New U.S. Release

The Incredible Hulk

'The Incredible Hulk'

BY Todd McCarthy
                              Variety
                              June 11, 2008

Full review at:
                              http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...ryid=1263&cs=1

Film Review: The Incredible Hulk

Bottom Line: More impersonal and less philosophical than Ang Lee's "Hulk," this new one still delivers the action goods.

By Kirk Honeycutt
                              The Hollywood Reporter
                              Jun 11, 2008

Edward Norton in "The Incredible Hulk"

Opens: Friday, June 13 (Universal)

It turns out Marvel Studios knows how to make solid movies out of Marvel Comics. The production arm of Marvel Entertainment is 2-for-2 in 2008, hitting home runs with "Iron Man" and now "The Incredible Hulk." "Iron Man" has more wit and style, but "Hulk" is a neat thrill ride with an intelligent script by Zak Penn and smart, well-paced direction by the French director of "The Transporter" series, Louis Leterrier.

The film does represent a sea change from Ang Lee's "Hulk" in 2003, which had the temerity to delve into Oedipal conflicts, repressed memory and scientific hubris. This movie emphasizes action over introspection, but star Edward Norton, who reportedly tinkered more than a little with the script, makes certain the hero still broods over the curse of his cells poisoned by gamma radiation.

The film is poised to carry the weekend buoyed by an unbeatable combination of buzz and hype. The franchise is safe -- a worry because of the sharp drop-off after the opening weekend of Lee's film -- and at the end, the Marvel folks hint that they might be thinking of a way to team Iron Man with the green fighting machine.
                              Full review at:
                              http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...id=11242&imw=Y

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X