X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Sleeping Beauty' newly restored premiere at AMPAS 7/18/08

Academy Awakens Newly Restored

www.oscars.org, in person at the Academy box office or by mail. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The Samuel Goldwyn Theater is located at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. All seating is unreserved. For more information, call (310) 247-3600.
    http://www.oscars.org/press/pressrel.../08.06.18.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Sleeping Beauty' newly restored premiere at AMPAS 7/18/08

The AMPAS always has the best priced shows in Southern California.

I'm a bit curious, though - how many digital restorations has the film had now? I have the 2003 Special Edition DVD, and now this year we have the Two-Disc Platinum Edition coming in October. Is this print that AMPAS is showing the digital restoration for the latter DVD release? And if so, how does it differ from the previous release's restoration?

Comment

The previous VHS/ Laser Disc (before DVD) was also digitally restored, so I too have to echo your thoughts Retrocool.

Comment

ORWEN: I just wish I could be in Beverly Hills for the showing of my favorite Disney film with my favorite Disney Princess (I guess I should apologize to the rest of the cast of The Black Cauldron for saying all this.) Anyway, if they've been restoring SLEEPING BEAUTY so many times, it should last forever!! And it deserves to. I'm glad it's finanlly getting the praise it should have gotten back in 1959 when so much of the world was in a coma at the time and couldn't see the real beauty that was in front of them.

Comment

Just an FYI: Tickets go on sale 6-25-08 at 9:01am PDT

I am really surprised that the El Capitan isn't hosting this event.
          They must not be wanting to lose out on WALL-E box office $$$'s.
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

To my knowledge, this is the second restoration. The first was for the widescreen VHS release. The later DVD was trumped as being "fully restored", which was true, it just was the prior restoration done for the old VHS release.

Since they're releasing it in High Def, it stands to reason that a second restoration would be of benefit.

The 7.1 sounds interesting (no pun intended), especially if they take care not to over-do it, like their "Home Theater Mixes". I really hope the home release also includes the original stereo though. Even a three channel mix mirroring the masters would do. I'm really not wild about watching in surround a movie that pre-dates surround. I a huge supporter of original sound mixes, no matter how dated they may be. Not everything need to be in surround.

I'd love to be there, but I doubt I'd make it to LA.

Comment

Don't worry, the new release will include the original theatrical audio mix. Sleeping Beauty was however recorded in 6 track stereophonic sound so to mix it into 7.1 wouldn't be that hard and would probably sound better than the 5.1 mixes on mono films like Cinderella, Bambi and Peter Pan.

Your also right about this being the second time around, although I'm sure some minor tweaking was done to the print of the film for the original black diamond VHS release.
              I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                I am really surprised that the El Capitan isn't hosting this event.
                They will have one as well with the traditional panel discussion too on August 28th at 7PM.
                Last edited by ALIASd; 06-28-2008, 10:38 AM.
                "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I love seeing the classics on the big screen. I hope to take my little niece and nephew to see the showing.
                  Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
                  Golly, what a day

Comment

Too bad it's not a nationwide re-release. I would love to see that.

Comment

This is my absolute favorite Disney movie and I'm so sad that I won't be able to go see it in theatres. It's an artistic triumph. Why oh why can't Disney re-release it before christmas so that I could see it on the big screen at least once?
                      sigpic
                      I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
                        Too bad it's not a nationwide re-release. I would love to see that.
                        Regular nationwide re-releases of classic films (Disney and otherwise) are long overdue for a comeback, especially in digital cinemas (where there's no worry about a pristine print wearing out or getting damaged).

Comment

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                          This is my absolute favorite Disney movie and I'm so sad that I won't be able to go see it in theatres. It's an artistic triumph. Why oh why can't Disney re-release it before christmas so that I could see it on the big screen at least once?
                          Because Bob Iger and the shareholders (lol, that sounds like a band - "Ladies and Gentlemen, from Burbank, California, Bob Iger and the Shareholders!") don't love us the way Unca Walt did.

Comment

Wow, Bob Iger and the Shareholders.... I'm picturing something really cheesy with straw boaters and bad covers of 50's tunes... hehehe
                            sigpic
                            I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X