Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite/Hated Disney movies?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    I haven't seen them all...I liked lion king and little mermaid....nemo was just ok ( I feel it was targeted for toddlers and not the whole family like other movies.)...
    Pixar has the LEAST toddler like of the Disney films. Nemo has a more mature theme than perhaps any other Disney film with the exception of Bambi. What Disney movie kills the mother before the opening title screen? What Mother or Father can't identify with Marlin's frantic search for his son, or his regret after realizing what effect his words have had on his son? I think that Finding Nemo has the most universal appeal. Funny characters for the kids, Real Drama for adults, Great Animation for film buffs, and jokes for teenagers...

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by Soulquarian
      Pixar has the LEAST toddler like of the Disney films. Nemo has a more mature theme than perhaps any other Disney film with the exception of Bambi. What Disney movie kills the mother before the opening title screen? What Mother or Father can't identify with Marlin's frantic search for his son, or his regret after realizing what effect his words have had on his son? I think that Finding Nemo has the most universal appeal. Funny characters for the kids, Real Drama for adults, Great Animation for film buffs, and jokes for teenagers...
      I didn't see the drama and I found the father to be a depressing character and the son chracter whiney. The neverending swim to Sidney dragged on and on. The only bright spot in the film was dory. It had some cute scenes, but over all I did not like it. The mother had to die or they would not have the premiss for the movie. Why was the kid fish named nemo? In latin it means nobody. Finding nobody? ok...Dory was a cute character though.

      Comment


      • #43
        My All-time favorites-#1 Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, The Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, Pinocchio, Lion King, Aladdin, Mary Poppins, Emperors' New Groove, Snow White, Ichabod and Mr Toad, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Bambi Toy Story and #2 , Song Of the South,Fun And Fancy Free, Cinderella, Lady And the Tramp, FANTASIA AND FANTASIA 2 (The art is great in this one)Jungle Book, Three Cabelleros

        Semi -Ok: Beauty and the Beast, The Great Mouse Detective, Aristocats,
        Brother Bear,Atlantis,Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, 101 Dalmations, Rescuers Down Under, (Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc(I know Pixar)

        Worst alltime-- Hunchback Of Notre Dame, Home on the Range, Pocahontas,
        Treasure Planet,

        A waste of ink and graphics: Dinosaur,Teacher's Pet, direct to video sequels, (I don't bother watching them because I know the art is second rate.The voices are changed as well.
        1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

        Comment


        • #44
          Not ALL of the direct to video movies were bad. I can't remember if the Ducktales Lost Lamp movie was a direct to video film, but it was really good. So were the Lion King sequels, especially Lion King 1 1/2. The production values were really high on that one...

          Comment


          • #45
            DuckTales Was NOT a direct-to-video, I saw it with my brother, The voices changed though. My wife and I watched LK 1 1/2 It was our free one ( :lol: after renting 2) It was ok.
            Last edited by Alchimedes; 02-17-2005, 07:59 PM.
            1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by erobbspike
              All time favorite: Sleeping Beauty!!
              Same here, my favorite out of them all.
              Least favorite-Little Mermaid 2...just awful
              Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
              I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
              ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by SCUBAbe
                I didn't see the drama and I found the father to be a depressing character and the son chracter whiney. The neverending swim to Sidney dragged on and on. The only bright spot in the film was dory. It had some cute scenes, but over all I did not like it. The mother had to die or they would not have the premiss for the movie. Why was the kid fish named nemo? In latin it means nobody. Finding nobody? ok...Dory was a cute character though.
                Nemo...em...Captain Nemo... from 20,000 leagues under the sea...

                I also thought Finding Nemo had such a great adult theme and plot line. One of the more serious and engaging Disney movies by far. If you're only seing childish, then maybe look a little deeper....beneath the surface of the water (so to speak )
                Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
                Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
                Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
                Marge: Pink.
                Homer: D'oh!
                Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
                  Nemo...em...Captain Nemo... from 20,000 leagues under the sea...

                  I also thought Finding Nemo had such a great adult theme and plot line. One of the more serious and engaging Disney movies by far. If you're only seing childish, then maybe look a little deeper....beneath the surface of the water (so to speak )
                  it still translates to nobody...

                  I have watched this movie several times. It's not a bad movie, it's just not engaging for me. The babish voices are annoying, the depressed dad is ...well depressing, but there are some good moments with him...and the nemo chracter is whiney. I don't like being around whiney kids so watching the movie wasn't that enjoyable. I liked it much better when they weren't showing nemo. To be honest when he was disaobeying his father and swimming towards the boat...well it was obvious what was going to happen and all I could think was..."what an idiot!!" I enjoyed the Dory character and the sharks. It just seemed very formulated. "Ok, they will swim in the ocean and then this will happen...then they will swim and this will happen..." The movie held no surprises. I knew what was going to happen all the way through....it was very formualted. Then the fishing net happened...it was like.."ok now we need to show the fish can do stuff on his own...lets have him do this..", which was not even his idea he learned it in the tank....anyway, I will agree to disagree on this one. It was an ok movie, but not the greatest I have seen.
                  Last edited by SCUBAbe; 02-18-2005, 08:27 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by dshimel
                    Hate the Lion King? Blasphemy!!!!
                    I'm right there with his hate of The Lion King. It's one of the worst films of all time, and can't even hold a candle to even the worst Disney films of all time. It's just bad, and I have never understood the public's affection for it at all.
                    www.deliciousmayhem.net
                    www.kidseatingpaste.com

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by swagdaddy
                      I'm right there with his hate of The Lion King. It's one of the worst films of all time, and can't even hold a candle to even the worst Disney films of all time. It's just bad, and I have never understood the public's affection for it at all.
                      I understand whre you're coming from. I can't understand why people like nemo so much...

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        I hate all the movies with princesses in them. These films are just incredibly sexist.

                        Snow White (my most hated of all the Disney movies) for example has the incredible moral of: "Don't leave women home alone, or they'll everything up." and "women should just stand around and wait for a man to take care of them"

                        Cinderella: "In order to be happy, a woman must transform herself into what a man wants."

                        Sleeping Beauty: "A woman can only be safe if a man protects her."

                        Little Mermaid: "Do whatever you can to get a husband, even if it means selling your soul to the devil."

                        Mulan: "in order for women to be taken seriously they need to pretend to be a man."

                        Beauty and the Beast: "The greatest adventure in life is to settle down and get married."


                        My favorite Disney movie is Monster's Inc. It's awesome.

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Oliver and Company has a special place in my heart since it was the first movie I remember seeing in theaters.
                          Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
                          I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
                          ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Originally posted by Socapex
                            I hate all the movies with princesses in them. These films are just incredibly sexist.

                            Snow White (my most hated of all the Disney movies) for example has the incredible moral of: "Don't leave women home alone, or they'll everything up." and "women should just stand around and wait for a man to take care of them"

                            Cinderella: "In order to be happy, a woman must transform herself into what a man wants."

                            Sleeping Beauty: "A woman can only be safe if a man protects her."

                            Little Mermaid: "Do whatever you can to get a husband, even if it means selling your soul to the devil."

                            Mulan: "in order for women to be taken seriously they need to pretend to be a man."

                            Beauty and the Beast: "The greatest adventure in life is to settle down and get married."


                            My favorite Disney movie is Monster's Inc. It's awesome.
                            In defense of the first three, well look at how society was. Song of the South had racial issues, and while that may not excuse anything, you do have to watch them in context. the little mermaid is based on an old mermaid story... As for Mulan, I think you totally got that one mixed up. If anything, the movie shows how strong women can be and that they should not be underappreciated or un-respected. As for Beauty and Best, I never read that from the film. I just saw a movie about how you can love someone regardless of what they look like. I think you just hate men! j/k.

                            But seriously, look at todays films and movies, they are more sexist than anything from that era! All of a sudden women can do IMPOSSIBLE things, and we are expected to believe it. Did you catch Resident Evil: Apocalypse? How can a 115 pound 5'6 women BOX (as in BOXING) a 350 pound 6'3 monster? Or in Alien Vs. Predator... A FREAKING ICE SCIENTIST KILLS THE MOTHER ALIEN! And all the men who have been trained to fight, INCLUDING a predator, all die? Not very believable... Even if they show a skinny man beating up a muscular guy I wouldn't believe it, why does it work for women?

                            All sitcoms show the wife as a genuis and her husband is a bumbling idiot. Married with children, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Home Improvement, etc. etc. Women are a little two faced sometimes... It's not ok for you to stereotype and portray a certain sex in a certain light... Unless of course you're a man, because MEN ARE PIGS! :devil:

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Originally posted by SCUBAbe
                              it still translates to nobody...

                              I have watched this movie several times. It's not a bad movie, it's just not engaging for me. The babish voices are annoying, the depressed dad is ...well depressing, but there are some good moments with him...and the nemo chracter is whiney. I don't like being around whiney kids so watching the movie wasn't that enjoyable. I liked it much better when they weren't showing nemo. To be honest when he was disaobeying his father and swimming towards the boat...well it was obvious what was going to happen and all I could think was..."what an idiot!!" I enjoyed the Dory character and the sharks. It just seemed very formulated. "Ok, they will swim in the ocean and then this will happen...then they will swim and this will happen..." The movie held no surprises. I knew what was going to happen all the way through....it was very formualted. Then the fishing net happened...it was like.."ok now we need to show the fish can do stuff on his own...lets have him do this..", which was not even his idea he learned it in the tank....anyway, I will agree to disagree on this one. It was an ok movie, but not the greatest I have seen.
                              Greek translates to "to give". (and being Greek, I'm going with this translation ) This movie was about finding one's self. All characters, including Dori found what they were really looking for. Nemo found himself strong and capable, the father found the strenght that lies in his own son to let go of his own fears to live life, and Dori finding "home" with her new "family". Each character gives one another what they were subconsciously searching for. The character dynamic is amazing...far better than some of the character development in other Disney films. Sometimes the plot line may be predictable, but if the characters are rich and empathic...then a great film it will still be. :o
                              Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                              Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
                              Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
                              Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
                              Marge: Pink.
                              Homer: D'oh!
                              Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Originally posted by dshimel

                                I simply didn't care enough about Brother Bear or Home on the Range to really feel much one way or the other. Like eating a rice cake... Doesn't taste bad and doesn't taste good, mostly becuase it has no taste at all and by the time those came out I wasn't really expecting much flavor anyway.

                                .

                                What a perfect way to describe those!

                                If I had to pick one fave it would probably be Beauty & the Beast. One least fave would be Pocahontas. Won't bother to wasting the entire day with everything in between, but I do tend to at least be willing to watch almost anything (as long as it's somewhat original). I've never, ever felt a need to bother with the direct to video sequels (with the exception of Lion King 1 1/2 which I found to be above average for such cheapquels).



                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by Soulquarian
                                  In defense of the first three, well look at how society was.
                                  Yes, maybe so. Technically women had only been in this country for 19 years when SW first came out, and views were definetely different. Non the less, I still find these films as sexist portrayals.
                                  The little mermaid is based on an old mermaid story...
                                  And your point is?? It is still sexist whether or notit was written in the last century.
                                  As for Mulan, I think you totally got that one mixed up. If anything, the movie shows how strong women can be and that they should not be underappreciated or un-respected.
                                  This attribute is very true of Mulan who is by far the strongest female character in the Disney franchise. My point was that in order for her to get the respect from the male characters, she was forced to cross dress.
                                  As for Beauty and Best, I never read that from the film. I just saw a movie about how you can love someone regardless of what they look like. I think you just hate men! j/k.
                                  That was a theme that ran through the film, true. But the exposition of the film spoke about how Belle was looking for adventure instead of the life she was living. Apparently the adventure she was after (as represented at the conclusion of the film) was to marry a prince and DO NOTHING! And I do not hate men. I am one.
                                  But seriously, look at todays films and movies, they are more sexist than anything from that era! All of a sudden women can do IMPOSSIBLE things, and we are expected to believe it. Did you catch Resident Evil: Apocalypse? How can a 115 pound 5'6 women BOX (as in BOXING) a 350 pound 6'3 monster? Or in Alien Vs. Predator... A FREAKING ICE SCIENTIST KILLS THE MOTHER ALIEN! And all the men who have been trained to fight, INCLUDING a predator, all die? Not very believable... Even if they show a skinny man beating up a muscular guy I wouldn't believe it, why does it work for women?
                                  I do not respect the thematic messages of horror films. Besides, these are not inteded for children.
                                  All sitcoms show the wife as a genuis and her husband is a bumbling idiot. Married with children, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Home Improvement, etc. etc. Women are a little two faced sometimes... It's not ok for you to stereotype and portray a certain sex in a certain light... Unless of course you're a man, because MEN ARE PIGS! :devil:
                                  These sitcoms you reference are satirical in nature. They provide social commentary on middle class life. And further more they are not intended for young children.

                                  Note: My posts are slightly sarcastic/tounge in cheek. Perhaps I should include some of those smilies to help clarify.

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Children will not pull these messages from a film, most of us grew up watching these films as kids, and the ideal of sexism wasn't implemented until other media was introduced. What is the job of a princess? Exactly... nothing. Belle's character DID experience adventure. You're telling me seeing a beast, enchanted home appliances, running from wolves, saving your father, risking your life, and finding true love isn't an adventure? Yeah right! It must have been seeing as the story is so old and is still prevalent in society! After all that I'd want to settle down too!

                                    Today's society is so caught up in NOT telling our kids about love. We tell young women that they don't need to have a man to be happy, yet it's ok to have a children without a father. We wonder why we have so many deadbeat dads... Well what do they have as a father figure? Statistics prove, prove that you've (haha) a better chance at a healthy child raising enviornment with both a mother and a father figure present. Being in love doesn't make you weak, or make you any less of a person. Why should we punish Belle because she fell in love?

                                    And whether you believe or not, women have a loud voice in media. The View has a panel of women discussing men like they are purely objects, if there was a men's show like that on a major non-cable network, the world would come to an end. Oprah Winfrey domintes in the talk show market having a healthy following in her cul... er audience that makes her one of the wealthiest tv personalities ever!

                                    My point is, unless you introduce this notion of sexism in Disney films, a child won't pick it up, even if it is there (which I disagree with). That would be like me saying The Lion King is racist because all the characters are animals, which re-evaluates the slave mentality that Black people are animalistic, and un-civilized blah blah blah. You can make an argument out of anything... but sometimes things are just a little read into.

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      A child might not nessesarily pick up directly on the sexism in the films, but a child is undoubtibly influenced by the character's actions in the films. Every time I go to Disneyland, I see numerous little girls dressed as the princesses. They are definitey idolising these characters. These characters that are weak females who simply wait for their prince to come along and sweep them off their feet. And you said it yourself. What do the pincesses do...NOTHING! They just sit there and influence young women that the only way to succeed in life is to just sit around, look pretty.

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Influence more than likely comes from parents and OUTSIDE influences. Kids don't have money to buy those ugly and gaudy Disney dresses... the parents do. Honestly, I think that OUTSIDE influences have more to do with promoting sexist views than Disney. Look at all the girl magazines! They all revolve around guys, whose cute, how you can get them, etc. Society makes us idolize people like Paris Hilton who basically is a princess and does absolutely nothing, yet a female doctor wouldn't get half as much credit or recognition. Disney represents fantasy, a dream, a fairy tale. If fairy tales start mimicking reality, then we will all have something to complain about!

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Lets calm down, shall we? I'm sure it wasn't Disneys intention to put sexist messages in the movies.
                                          Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
                                          http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518


                                          Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!
                                          sigpic

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X