Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really enjoying your debate. I think you both are making some great points. The only thing I would like to add is that Mulan had to cross-dress because of the historical context. Even now, many Chinese women are required to follow six feet behind their husband in public. It's sad, but many of them have little in the way of rights or common dignities.
    "Do it for me then. Your gaming buddies are going to be there too. It will be good for you kids to go out and blow the stink off yourselves for one night."

"Fine. For you. And for the eradication of stink."

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
      Influence more than likely comes from parents and OUTSIDE influences. Kids don't have money to buy those ugly and gaudy Disney dresses... the parents do. Honestly, I think that OUTSIDE influences have more to do with promoting sexist views than Disney. Look at all the girl magazines! They all revolve around guys, whose cute, how you can get them, etc. Society makes us idolize people like Paris Hilton who basically is a princess and does absolutely nothing, yet a female doctor wouldn't get half as much credit or recognition. Disney represents fantasy, a dream, a fairy tale. If fairy tales start mimicking reality, then we will all have something to complain about!
      By the parents purchasing the gaudy dresses and pampering their children as if they are princesses, they are definitely feeding the princess image to their children; thus promoting the same thing the films are promoting.

And as far as outside influences go, Disney IS an outside influence on children.

And the fantasy, dream, fairytale that Disney represents is in my opinion sending the wrong message children.

Comment

Originally posted by Socapex
        By the parents purchasing the gaudy dresses and pampering their children as if they are princesses, they are definitely feeding the princess image to their children; thus promoting the same thing the films are promoting.

And as far as outside influences go, Disney IS an outside influence on children.

And the fantasy, dream, fairytale that Disney represents is in my opinion sending the wrong message children.
        Out of curiosity, would you not let your children watch Disnely films or go to Disneyland for this reason?
        Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
        Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
        Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
        Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
        Marge: Pink.
        Homer: D'oh!
        Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Comment

Well, I don't have children or plan on having any. And if I had children I would let them. I'm totally blowing the sexism out of proportion for the purpose of debate. It does exist in my opinion.

Comment

What message should Disney send to children? Reality? Disney has always been about fantasy... The company was started with a mouse after all. Honestly, I think you may be a fan of the wrong company if you don't like fantasy. If I went to Disney for reality, then the castle would have to be gray with dungeons and torture devices in its basement, the only mice running around would carry desease, and Haunted Mansions would be full of dusty furniture...

Unless it just absolutely screams injustic or sexism or racism, then I can't really fault Disney films. In my open, they are the only thing that's right with the world... and churros

Comment

Maybe that's why I prefer DCA...

Comment

I definetely enjoy the fantastical element, the adventurous spirt, the humorousness, and the darker side to product. The mindless spectacle is also extremely entertaining. These can all be available without the unnessesary sexism that the company was propmoting in it's early years. I'm honestly more of a fan of Disneyland than of Disney itself.

Comment

There definitely is sexism in some of these films, but there are other issues as well. I don't want my daughter to think that animals are people just because Simba talks, to pick another random argument. The responsibility falls on the parent to make sure that your kids know the difference between fantasy and reality.

Besides, there's a lot things in those movies that are NOT there that I thank Disney for. Like ideas of casual sex for example. Or that the men love these women because of their character and not sexual innuendos. I still appreciate your argument though.
                  "Do it for me then. Your gaming buddies are going to be there too. It will be good for you kids to go out and blow the stink off yourselves for one night."

Comment

So let's ban all of them right?

When we watch SOTS, you don't have to read anything into the movie to realize racial issues are prevalent. However, if you're taking the time to analyze the personalities of Disney Princesses, then that is something altogether different. Reality tells me that I will probably never find my soul mate, that I will probably never experience true love, but that doesn't mean I can't dream about it does it? Is it wrong for Disney to allow me to do so? Who on this board is sexist as a result of the films? If you think like that, then you can find problems in everything in life... including life itself!

Comment

When we watch SOTS, you don't have to read anything into the movie to realize racial issues are prevalent. However, if you're taking the time to analyze the personalities of Disney Princesses, then that is something altogether different. Reality tells me that I will probably never find my soul mate, that I will probably never experience true love, but that doesn't mean I can't dream about it does it? Is it wrong for Disney to allow me to do so? Who on this board is sexist as a result of the films? If you think like that, then you can find problems in everything in life... including life itself!
                      Exactly! A lot of it comes down to what you see in them and being smart enough to know how to deal with it. It's fantasy and I don't think that Disney was trying to enforce stereotypes, just trying to tell a good story.

Comment

Who said to ban them? I never implied that at all. If someone doesn't agree with them, then it is up to the individual to not view them. I was simply stating an opinion about the way the characters are portrayed. And it's not a deep analysis as you claim. There are musical numbers that deliver these messages right to the viewers. And it's not that it nessesarily breeds sexism itself, it's that it reinforces stereotypes that are simply untrue. It's not the 1950's anymore. I don't not watch these movies only becuase they are sexist; I don't watch them because I think they aren't good films. My favorite book, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, is incredibly sexist. I enjoy it as a work of art, not for certain thematic messages it contains.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith157
                          Exactly! A lot of it comes down to what you see in them and being smart enough to know how to deal with it. It's fantasy and I don't think that Disney was trying to enforce stereotypes, just trying to tell a good story.
                          I agree. I was raised on Disney, princesses n' all. But my parents, mainly my mother, instilled in me the reality of sex role types, infact Barbie was very few in the household. However, she still allowed me to own a Barbie doll and she still allowed me to fantasize about "far off places and daring adventures" with princesses, talking mice, fairy goddmothers, and happy endings. Has this corrupted me now as an adult? I don't think so (at least not for those reasons ). I think it's partly the responsibility of the adults to teach their children truths, but allow their children to have an overabundance of creativity to be able to dream and fantasize. A child with great knowledge and imagination is priceless.
                          Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                          Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
                          Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
                          Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
                          Marge: Pink.
                          Homer: D'oh!
                          Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Comment

Here's a noodle-boggler:

Almost all Disney movies are about outcasts or runaways. Why is that such a common theme?

A mass communications prof I had in college did her dissertation on Disney movies and the impact they have had on kids who actually were runaways. It was kind of scary to see how these movies had an effect on these kids!
                            "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by E-ticket
                              It was kind of scary to see how these movies had an effect on these kids!
                              Would you care to explain in more detail how these movies had an effect on these kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Socapex
                                Little Mermaid: "Do whatever you can to get a husband, even if it means selling your soul to the devil."

the real ending for this fairy tale was the little mermaid named Marina was suppose to take a knife and stab the man she loved after he married the girl who he thought found her. If she did not do that she would turn to sea foam. The story ends with marina diving into the ocean and turning to sea foam while her dolphin friend junmped through the foam calling her name. It was a sad ending. I saw it as a child and I still remember it. I loved the story then and now. (the original story.) It also changes the meaning of the fairy tale. People do not always get what they want and have happy endings.

now in snow white the evul queen does not die by cliff diving. They make her wear red hot sandals and dance until she dies....Disney just takes the heavy drama out and makes them light and fluffy.

Comment

Once again, if you said your favorite was anything made after 1967, it is not a Disney movie. It's post-Disney(Fox and the Hound, Rescuers), Eisner(Mermaid, Beauty, Lion King) or Pixar(Toy Story). Maybe they are fine movies (a big maybe) but they are not Disney. Disney is just the distributor for Pixar, sort of like Universal was the distributor for Disney before Buena Vista was formed. Who's the talentless mega-company now?

Favorite: Snow White for story, Pinnochio for animation.
                                  Least favorite: Sword in the Stone. How could you screw up T.H Whites masterpiece?

Comment

I love Lion King but I do not like.......Can't think of one. I fell asleep both times I saw Toy Story 2

Comment

I Love them all in one way or another.
                                      :crazylegs

Comment

Well, here we go... just a partial list

Favorites

Dumbo (best of the best)
                                        Bambi (March 1st can't come soon enough)
                                        Peter Pan
                                        Sleeping Beauty (amazing animation)
                                        Cinderella
                                        Alladin
                                        Beauty & the Beast
                                        Jungle Book
                                        Mulan (my girls' favorite Disney film... so I've seen it a lot, and it has grown on me)

Dislike:

Fox & the Hound (just boring and depressing as Hell)
                                        Robin Hood (so funny bits, but overall not very good)
                                        Fantasia 2000 (wow this was a baaaad idea from the beginning)
                                        The Rescuers Down Under (one was enough)
                                        Oliver and Co.
                                        Sword in the Stone (wow... you have T.H. White's classic to work from and this is the best you can come up with???)

Comment

Once again, if you said your favorite was anything made after 1967, it is not a Disney movie. It's post-Disney(Fox and the Hound, Rescuers), Eisner(Mermaid, Beauty, Lion King) or Pixar(Toy Story). Maybe they are fine movies (a big maybe) but they are not Disney.
                                          People can love the movies they love. There's no problem with ANY of the post '67 movies (well, not counting the direct to video ones...). Everyone has different tastes and it's great that Disney can appeal to such an eclectic group.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X