• DreamWorks close to Disney deal, Spielberg's company to leave Universal

Posted: Fri., Feb. 6, 2009, 11:40am PT

DreamWorks close to
    Disney deal

Spielberg's company to leave Universal

By Marc Graser, Tatiana Siegel
    Variety

full article at:
    DreamWorks close to Disney deal - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Disney, Universal after DreamWorks distribution - 9/22/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1044...tribution.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: DreamWorks close to Disney deal, Spielberg's company to leave Universal

Wow, to have Spielberg at Disney (for all intents and purposes) would be AWESOME!!!

Comment

Can we have more Roger Rabbit movies at least?

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

I wouldn't want another Roger Rabbit feature, but a small boatload of cartoon shorts would be heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker View Post
          Can we have more Roger Rabbit movies at least?
          a sequel would be great.

Comment

this is just for Dreamworks pictures right?

who is distributing Dreamworks animations now?

Comment

Paramount is.

They left Uni some years ago. They treaded it for Paramount. Now they want to leave Paramount. At least, last year there were rumours.

Comment

I thought Animation is already back at Universal??? But yes, this is only for the live-action, not animation.

Comment

Animation Live Action and Music were split up. It's not S K G anymore.

Dreamworks records were sold off, I don't think Geffen is involved with Steven or Jeffrey now.

DreamWorks sure has gone through a lot of metamorphoses. It's like a chameleon company.

I think Dis could use some better live action movies, DW could fill the void left by the loss of Touchstone Pictures which had a lot of hits in its early days.

Comment

Interesting. I remember when there was the annuouncement about Universal joining with Dreamworks. That was quick. Interesting to see how it turns out.

Comment

So, no more bad Dreamworks animated movies?
                      And the potential for more Roger?
                      I might be okay with this. I still think it's weird though

Comment

Originally posted by Kuzcochik View Post
                        I might be okay with this. I still think it's weird though
                        It's not for the animation, just the live-action movie division. Animation is still with Paramount (or is it Universal) now.

Comment

The animation division run by Katzenberg will remain at paramount

The live action division is now independent but is tied with Disney (similar to the Disney-Pixar relationship pre buyout)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuzcochik View Post

Here's their near future:

Robert Downey Jr. and Tina Fey are in negotiations to lead the voice cast for DreamWorks Animation's superhero lark "Master Mind." Ben Stiller is a producer on the movie through his Red Hour Films.

The satiric film, with a screenplay by Alan J. Schoolcraft and Brent Simons, concerns a brilliant superhero villain who loses his life's purpose when he accidentally kills his good-guy nemesis. DWA plans a Nov. 5, 2010, release (though the title might change).

DWA had a banner year in 2008 with its releases "Kung Fu Panda" and "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" (also starring Stiller), which together have grossed more than $1.2 billion worldwide. The Jeffrey Katzenberg-led company also has "Monsters vs. Aliens" in theaters in March, "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek Goes Fourth" in 2010, and a "Kung Fu Panda" sequel scheduled for 2011.

Paramount, which distributes DWA's output, has its own animated feature, "Rango," starring Johnny Depp, in production for a March 2011 release.
                            Robert Downey Jr., Tina Fey in talks for 'Master Mind'

Again this is a deal with Disney is for distribution rights not production.

And really, if Spielberg and Zemeckis wanted to make another Roger Rabbit film it would have happened already. It is Spielberg we're talking about.

If Zemeckis were to add it to his current disney deal with Amblin' onboard you'd probably be looking at a decade from now. And that's only if numerous projects were to fall off both parties' exisitng schedules and possible backlog of on hold/& or original productions.
                            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                              Animation Live Action and Music were split up. It's not S K G anymore.

Dreamworks records were sold off, I don't think Geffen is involved with Steven or Jeffrey now.

DreamWorks sure has gone through a lot of metamorphoses. It's like a chameleon company.

I think Dis could use some better live action movies, DW could fill the void left by the loss of Touchstone Pictures which had a lot of hits in its early days.
                              Um Touchstone is still around.
                              Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X