• Show
Clear All

• 'High School Musical 4' back to Disney Channel

Posted: Tue., Mar. 3, 2009, 11:28am PT

'High School Musical' returns to roots

Fourth installment to air on Disney Channel

By Daniel Frankel
    Variety

HOLLYWOOD -- The fourth installment of "High School Musical" will return the franchise back to where it started: the Disney Channel.

Featuring a new cast, the "High School Musical 4" telepic is skedded to begin production later this year and premiere on Disney Channel in 2010.

Peter Barsocchini, who penned the first three installments, returns as screenwriter. Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush are also back as exec producers. Disney Channel did not say whether Kenny Ortega would return as director.

"High School Musical 3: Senior Year," helmed by Ortega, took in nearly $250 million last year in worldwide theatrical release.
    'High School Musical' returns to roots - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'High School Musical 4' back to Disney Channel

'High School Musical 4' set for 2010

Popular franchise returns to Disney Channel

'High School Musical 3'

By Nellie Andreeva
    The Hollywood Reporter
    March 3, 2009, 03:11 PM ET

The "High School Musical" franchise is returning to television.

Disney on Tuesday announced a green light for "High School Musical 4," an original TV movie to premiere on Disney Channel in 2010.

The film will introduce a new cast of characters and will center on East High Wildcats' cross-town rivalry with the West High Knights.

"High School Musical" became a phenomenon when it premiered on the Disney Channel in January 2006. It spawned the Disney Channel sequel "High School Musical 2," whose 2007 premiere ranked as the number one basic cable telecast of all time with 18.6 million viewers.

The franchise then took a leap to the big screen with "High School Musical 3: Senior Year." The movie, which marked the high school graduation of Troy (Zac Efron), Gabriella (Vanessa) and company, has grossed $250 million in the worldwide boxoffice.

Hoping to achieve a similar success with a new generation of East High School students, Disney Channel has tapped tapping Peter Barsocchini, who wrote each of the first three movies in the franchise, to pen the fourth installment.

Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush return as the executive producers.
    'High School Musical 4' set for 2010
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Am I the only one who hates Variety lingo?
      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

YouTube - The Animaniacs - Variety Speak

Comment

Oh good lord.

*facepalm*

Comment

NO WTF. This will be a fail. They need to quit while they're ahead.

sigpic

Comment

Typical Disney. Market the hell out of something until it's no longer popular.

Comment

death to it!

Comment

Now I love HSM and all the movies. My favorite was HSM 3, but the new characters they added... just bothered me... annoyed me even. I wish they would stop.

Comment

Originally posted by PrncssZ View Post
                    Now I love HSM and all the movies. My favorite was HSM 3, but the new characters they added... just bothered me... annoyed me even. I wish they would stop.
                    Yeah they definitely rubbed me the wrong way. The only one I liked was the skater kid who had to fill in for the musical and liked Sharpay.

sigpic

Comment

R U Kidding me?!?!?!? High School Musical 4? Wouldn't it be College School Musical? They are really pushing it with this one! Dare I ask what is next?

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney-the-Pooh View Post
                        R U Kidding me?!?!?!? High School Musical 4? Wouldn't it be College School Musical? They are really pushing it with this one! Dare I ask what is next?
                        i doubt any original actors will be in it or very few.

Comment

I wonder if Disney has plans for High School Musical: The series....you know a show related to saved by the bell.
                          "You are watching FOX"

Comment

We made 250 million on the last movie.....lets lose all the money and put it on TV first...idiots.
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I think it'll flop... it seems to me the target audience (preteens) who loved the first three liked them most because of the stars, who are no longer in the new installment.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X