This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marty Sklar, former head of Imagineering, announces retirement

Yesterday, Marty Sklar, Walt Disney Imagineering Ambasador and former head of Imagineering, announced in an email to his peers that he will retire from the company on July 17th of this year. Jay Rasulo, followed up on Sklar's announcemet with one of his own, thanking Marty for his many years of service to the company and for his creative efforts.

Marty had led or was involved in the creation of almost every one of the company's Parks and Resorts destinations around the world: including the ill-fated California Adventure, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Disney Studios Paris parks. Marty was proud of the fact that he participated in the opening of 11 Disney parks over his long career.

The news will no doubt be met with mixed feelings by employees within the company and in the fan community. Marty is one of the few remaining links to Walt Disney and an invaluable source of knowledge regarding the company's history. However, In recent years, Marty has been a lightening rod for criticism in the underwhelming scope and success of the newer Disney parks.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this news. What was Marty's impact on the company? Will his support of Eisner and cheerleading for California Adventure cloud his legacy? What are his lasting achievements?
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Re: Marty Sklar, former head of Imagineering, announces retirement

The front line man always catches the flack when things go sour.

Thanks for the years Marty - enjoy some time relaxing.

Comment

I think Marty did a better job than most of us would have. I give him credit for all he has accomplished, regardless of how popular or unpopular his decisions were. Not every decision a person makes will be a good one. But the bad decisions should not overshadow the good one's. The same goes the other way too.

Comment

For me, unfortunately, his misleading communication during the controversy over the Small World "enhancements" undid some of the respect I have for this Disney legend.

I can't help but wonder if Marty will send out a letter to Disney fans denying his retirement, and then in July retires anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DieFR View Post
          For me, unfortunately, his misleading communication during the controversy over the Small World "enhancements" undid some of the respect I have for this Disney legend.

I can't help but wonder if Marty will send out a letter to Disney fans denying his retirement, and then in July retires anyway.
          HAHA!

Well, that's a small piece of the pizza compared to his whole career. I think he did a stand up job most of the time, and I'd take him over a few OTHER Disney execs any day. I hope he has a lovely retirement!
          "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

I was lucky enough to attend an event at the EMP in Seattle where Marty was the speaker. I could have listened to him for many many more hours than we got. He truly radiated a love of the parks and all that they meant to people all over the world. He may have made some less than popular decisions in the last few years, but overall, his impact on the Disney parks is a good and lasting one.
            I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
            then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

Can't say I side much with his opinions on things, but I'll salute him for his years of service to the company. It's good that it's not until July so it's not mixed in with all the layoffs throughout the company(heck possibly done on purpose because of that).

Comment

Oh well.
                Last edited by Mr. Eggz; 07-26-2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Marty Skylar to retire in July

Hey, I just found this posted on Twitter

Disney Legend Marty Sklar’s Letter to Imagineers Announcing His Retirement After 53 Years - Orlando Attractions Magazine Blog

He will be missed. Does this mean promotion for Tony Baxter

ADMIN NOTE: Thread Merged Into Existing Thread

Comment

Re: Marty Skylar to retire in July

Did he pick July 17th for the sake of the anniversary or is there actually something technical behind this?
                    Last edited by Goover; 04-25-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by startours1 View Post
                      He will be missed. Does this mean promotion for Tony Baxter
                      More likely it means a promotion for Tom "Video Screens Rule" Fitzgerald.

Comment

Great story.

Comment

Micenation

Comment

I think this thread title means "Marty Sklar" as opposed to "Marty Skylar"?

That is a good story. Looks like he'll be in Shanghai when it opens, I guess.

Comment

Its about time he has been a pioneer and should be enjoying the fruits of his hard work.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X