• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disneytim
    Thanking the Academy
    MiceChat News Team
    • Jul 2005

Disney Releases First Still Image From 'A Christmas Carol'

Clearly trying to stir up interest in a story that's been filmed a bajillion times before, Disney has officially released one--and only one--still image from the upcoming "A Christmas Carol," featuring a performance captured Jim Carrey as Scrooge.

The official word from Disney:
    Last edited by disneytim; 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.
  • ALIASd
    Top Shelf!
    MiceChat News Team
    • Jun 2005

Re: Disney Releases First Still Image From 'A Christmas Carol'

It's Christmas in Cannes as Disney previews 'Carol'

full story at:
    It's Christmas in Cannes as Disney previews 'Carol' - USATODAY.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• disneytim
      Thanking the Academy
      MiceChat News Team
      • Jul 2005

Publicity shots from the Carlton Hotel in Cannes:

"Christmas Carol" stars Jim Carrey, Robin Wright Penn and Colin Firth

Carrey with his significant other, Jenny McCarthy

Producer Jack Rapke, director Robert Zemeckis, Wright Penn, Carrey, producer Steve Starkey and Firth

Comment

• Dustysage
        Man of mystery and
        MiceChat Administrator
        • Jan 2005

I've got to admit that the publicity for this film actually has me interested. The train tour thing is clever and they are starting their blitz well before the Christmas season. But I think that is will work for them.

I just hope Jim Carrey doesn't screw up the film the way he did with A Series of Unfortunate Events
        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
        Save

Comment

• daragez
          New MiceChatter
          • Apr 2009

that's nice!...looks interesting!...
          my heart is yours

Comment

• sailerm
            • Jul 2006

I hope they have figured out how to not give them dead eyes. It creeped me out in Beauwolf and Polar Express

Comment

• Chernabog
              Earth Intruder
              • Jan 2005

I think that noise you hear is a collective yawn from the moviegoing public. Do we really need ANOTHER remake of this moldy old story?

And Jim Carrey has f***ed up every movie he's been in. With the exception of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, where he was moderately tolerable.
              I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
              sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

• MarkTwain
                All-American
                • Feb 2009

This actually looks really great! This movie sounds like a good fit for Jim Carrey.

Comment

• Wendygirl
                  Enjoy the now!
                  • Feb 2005

I may go see it just for Colin Firth!
                  sigpic

Comment

• disneytim
                    Thanking the Academy
                    MiceChat News Team
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                    I've got to admit that the publicity for this film actually has me interested.
                    That's actually what has me concerned. This much arm-waving for a holiday release, this early? We're not talking Harry Potter or Batman here, were talking a 166-year old Dickens story that's been adapted for stage, screen and television countless times. Even Disney's done it before as a Mickey Mouse cartoon. All this splashy buildup with Cannes photo-ops and cross country trains feels more like empty hype for a shopworn story than publicity for an innovative theater experience. As much as I love the story, "A Christmas Carol" has been done to death. There's nothing new you can show me.

Not that Robert Zemeckis isn't going to try. "Christmas Carol's" performance capture animation is supposed to be a quantum leap from "Polar Express," but that's just it. The buzz is all about how fantastic the film looks, not how heartwarming the tale is. Compare that to how Pixar promotes its films. As beautiful and technically dazzling as they are, they're always about story first. That's where "Christmas Carol" may be in trouble. Zemeckis is a talented technical director, but not a particularly gifted storyteller. When his films emphasize visual effects, the stories almost always suffer for it (See: "Forrest Gump," "Polar Express," and, yes, "Roger Rabbit").

I want to believe Disney is really on to something by how enthusiastically they're getting behind "Christmas Carol." I'm more inclined to think that the emperor--in this case, Scrooge--has no clothes. We'll see.

Comment

• sailerm
                      • Jul 2006

Given that most treatments seem to miss the point of the story, an allegory for repentance, all versions suffer at the hands of the Alistair Sims version, of all the versions I've seen, Alistair Sims, is the only performance that shows a true conversion from empty hearted miser to a warm and compassionate individual.

It's a tough act to follow, Sims version came out in 1951

Comment

• disneytim
                        Thanking the Academy
                        MiceChat News Team
                        • Jul 2005

The correct name of the actor who played Scrooge is Alastair Sim.

Coverage of today's "Train Tour" press event in Los Angeles:

Comment

• ALIASd
                          Top Shelf!
                          MiceChat News Team
                          • Jun 2005

The studio is hosting some Christmas in June private sneak previews of some of the film's footage next week. Very interested in seeing more, the train tour stop was a nice starter, but this will be in 3D in an IMAX theatre. More to follow.
                          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• Disneymike
                            Planet of Puddingheads
                            • Jan 2005

My wife and I went to see the Disney train today in Sacramento. The train itself is pretty much what you would expect from Disney. As you enter the train you see pre-production art as well as portraits of Jim Carrey as Scrooge at different times in his life. The second car contains some maquettes of Jim Carrey and Gary Oldman (who plays Bob Cratchit) as well as some models of buildings used for the movie. The next car is set up like the motion capture sound stage they used with motion capture cameras all over the place. Next car has TONS of workstations where you can take your picture and morph it into one of the characters from the movie. The last car is set up as a dinner setting complete with animated fireplace. What is really cool is behind the dinner setting which is a fully animated snowing street scene in the victorian era - picture opp!!! Then you are sent to a temporary theater where you get to see scenes from the movie. The 3D is spectacular and the characters motion and facial features are pretty incredible. I am looking forward to the movie coming out in Nov. If you get the chance to check out the train by all means do so - I was very impressed.

Comment

• ALIASd
                              Top Shelf!
                              MiceChat News Team
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                              The studio is hosting some Christmas in June private sneak previews of some of the film's footage next week. Very interested in seeing more, the train tour stop was a nice starter, but this will be in 3D in an IMAX theatre. More to follow.
                              Yesterday afternoon I attended the sneak preview event at the AMC IMAX theatre at Universal CityWalk of scenes from 'A Christmas Carol'. There was a fun Christmas in June spread of holiday treats including hot apple cider, hot chocolate, green and red sugar cookies, warm caramel corn, brownies, and fresh sliced apples for dipping in warm caramel. Plus Christmas carols playing and a tiny holiday tree. Perfect pre-IMAX fare!

We were shown full scenes the first featuring Jim Carrey as Scrooge, Colin Firth as his nephew and Gary Oldman as Bob Cratchit in Scrooge's office. Another was the momentous meeting between Scrooge and the first ghost of the evening, his former business partner, Jacob Marley. The presentation concluded with a montage of scenes from various points in the film and finally the premiere of the film's teaser trailer, it'll be attached to the new 'Ice Age' 3D sequel that hits theatres on July 1st.

First things first, yes the motion capture is better and more real-seeming than in Robert Zemeckis' previous works including 'Beowulf: An IMAX 3D Experience' and 'The Polar Express'. Even more humanity is visible through and in the performances, even while the actual physical bodies of the actors are altered for size and aging. The ghost images are very impressive (particularly Marley, as Bob Z. couldn't help but throw a little of his old 'Tales From The Crypt' horror/humor into him) as are the stunts which the medium now thrusts into the eye-popping wonder range. The story does lend itself to the 3D technology quite impressively well.
                              Last edited by ALIASd; 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• themur
                                • Jan 2005

The promotional train will be in Oakland this weekend.
                                The Mur

Comment

• clairebear
                                  Banned User
                                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                                  Yesterday afternoon I attended the sneak preview event at the AMC IMAX theatre at Universal CityWalk of scenes from 'A Christmas Carol'. There was a fun Christmas in June spread of holiday treats including hot apple cider, hot chocolate, green and red sugar cookies, warm caramel corn, brownies, and fresh sliced apples for dipping in warm caramel. Plus Christmas carols playing and a tiny holiday tree. Perfect pre-IMAX fare!

We were shown full scenes the first featuring Jim Carrey as Scrooge, Colin Firth as his nephew and Gary Oldman as Bob Cratchit in Scrooge's office. Another was the momentous meeting between Scrooge and the first ghost of the evening, his former business partner, Jacob Marley. The presentation concluded with a montage of scenes from various points in the film and finally the premiere of the film's teaser trailer, it'll be attached to the new 'Ice Age' 3D sequel that hits theatres on July 1st.

First things first, yes the motion capture is better and more real-seeming than in Robert Zemeckis' previous works including 'Beowulf: An IMAX 3D Experience' and 'The Polar Express'. Even more humanity is visible through and in the performances, even while the actual physical bodies of the actors are altered for size and aging. The ghost images are very impressive (particularly Marley, as Bob Z. couldn't help but throw a little of his old 'Tales From The Crypt' horror/humor into him) as are the stunts which the medium now thrusts into the eye-popping wonder range. The story does lend itself to the 3D technology quite impressively well.
                                  Thanks for sharing your review! From the clips and images I've seen so far, it does seem like Zemeckis has definitely learned and improved upon his use of mo-cap, and I DO think the type of animation technology will lend itself pretty well to the movie and the characters, ESPECIALLY since Jim Carrey is such a physical actor. Mo-cap definitely requires the actors to put their whole bodies into the performance and I see him doing that in this for sure. That being said, looking forward to checking out the teaser trailer!!!

Comment

• ALIASd
                                    Top Shelf!
                                    MiceChat News Team
                                    • Jun 2005

Well thanks I'm looking forward to seeing the full finished product.

Comment

• ALIASd
                                      Top Shelf!
                                      MiceChat News Team
                                      • Jun 2005

an international teaser one-sheet

Comment

• clairebear
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2007

Wowzers - that looks kinda creepy but kinda cool!!! I can't WAIT to hear about the footage that's gonna be shown at Comic-Con and what Robert Zemeckis says....kinda makes me sad I won't be able to make it But definitely looking forward to some new footage and maybe even a trailer!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X