Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It always interests me that certain subjects must be banned! I've been thinking about the SOTS for a while now (ever since the first discussion on the SOTS) and I began to thinnk about other Disney films/shorts. Should we ask for a ban on Peter Pan for its negative view of Native (Injuns) Americans, Cinderella for "Evil Step-Mothers", all of the old Mickey cartoons for Sexism? The list is endless and while you are correct to voice your opinion I think that you need to look at the SOTS in context that it is just another Disney movie. It was a different time and I think that Walt and his crew would never intentionally upset anoyone and I also believe that he saw the good in this story. I know that he was able to look for the story that mattered. The Song of the South is a great movie and should be seen by everyone.
    "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
    Micheal Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Orcatime
      You know, the Cos was cleared of all those charges. They should go back to using him for it. Especially since Ossie Davis recently passed away, and he was very much a political activist for African-Americans.
      Ossie Davis! *sniff* Why'd you have to go and bring him up again? He was truely a Great One, and I'll miss his acting....
      Honor those who fall under the sword.
      But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

My final word...

Originally posted by Soulquarian
        What are your thoughts?
        No offence here, Soulquarian, but I wonder sometimes if you post things with the sole ambition of starting a debate. Hasn't this subject been beaten to death, on this very board, already? I appreciate the issues you have, and accept that they are real, but you seem to want to dwell on this, and make this one possible release the focus of your frustration. Can we not let this die, at the very least until we know if it is actually going to happen? I don't want to see this board turn into a constant racism platform. I totally respect your point of view, and your willingness to speak your mind, but sometimes too much is simply too much.

As for myself, I also have a laserdisc version of the movie, and have watched it several times since the ongong debate over in the "...a divided topic" thread. It is every bit as good as the rest of the disney films of that time frame. Far superior, in my opinion, to more modern too/Live action mixes such as Roger Rabbit, in that the talent that went into creating it was staggering. Your assumption that people only like it because it's banned and that it's not very good may be, in my opinion, slightly slanted by the fact that you are so opposed to it. You seem very often to project your own issues and presumtions on to others, in a very broad fashion. I find it ironic that somone as frustrated by stereotypes as you are can so off-handedly group all of everyone who in not black into one group, and paint us as opressors.

We're all people, as I've said before. White, black, yellow, brown, pink, translucent, whatever. I could care less. It is the soul of a man who makes him a man, not the color of the vessel that contains it. I think that most of the posters on this board see things the same way, and continuing to force this topic onto a group of very accepting people only singles yourself out, which is what I thought you'd be trying not to do.

This is my absolute last post on this racism issue, as it seems to just go around in circles. I just hope it settles down and we can get back to disney-related issues, and not intercultural relationships. What is this, the UN?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver
          No offence here, Soulquarian, but I wonder sometimes if you post things with the sole ambition of starting a debate.
          Isn't that the point of a discussion forum? If nobody ever debated anyones posts...it'd be one dead board.

As far as SOTS being released...i'll believe it when a reputable source says it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
            Isn't that the point of a discussion forum? If nobody ever debated anyones posts...it'd be one dead board.
            Somewhat, yes. But when you start a debate over a touchy subject that has already been debated to death, with the point being to create a heated debate rather than a pleasant conversation? That's when it's too much. I love a debate as much as the next guy, but I hate debates initiated simply to cause problems. That's like going into an all black church or Jewish center, and wanting to debate the virtues of Hitler's ideals. That's not meant as a pleasant debate.

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
            As far as SOTS being released...i'll believe it when a reputable source says it's true.
            LOL. My thoughts exactly. Poor Jim Hill! He doesn't have the best rep here, does he? :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver
              LOL. My thoughts exactly. Poor Jim Hill! He doesn't have the best rep here, does he? :lol:

Hey, he brings it upon himself. I think I think i'll model myself after jim hill and make a fansite where I spout out false statements about universal studios. :lol:

Comment

This thread is about the release of the film, not the racial issues. And no one had replied to it since Feb. 22!

Comment

This thread is about the release of the film, not the racial issues.
                  Really? Ya sure about that?
                  Disney is planning on making a documentary with current clips of Disney shows and movies with Black characters and actors to show how much the company has changed since the original release of Song of the South. They are also planning on having a well-known Black actor to introduce the film and perhaps give a bit of background information and context for the film.
                  ... ... ...

My take; if it's true, then sweet. As long as I can chapter skip the preaching and watch the movie then it's all good.

Comment

I don't trust Jim Hill's sources but if SOTS comes out for sale on home video next year, it would definitely make money. A special 2 disc limited 60th anniversary edition DVD release would be ideal. I was curious to see the movie so I finally bought a bootleg copy on eBay that was recorded from a japanese laserdisc. I don't think the movie is racist or supports slavery. I think it's a movie. That's all. It's 60th anniversary is coming up next year, the public demands to see it again, and it needs to be restored. They'd be fools to let the opportunity slip by.

Comment

Re: Song of the South in '06

I just came across this site: http://www.songofthesouthdvdremastered.com/

But last I heard, it wasn't legitimately released. From the FAQ, it sounds like this person is burning copies off their laserdisc & selling them. Is this a pirated thing, or is it somehow legit?
                      Check out my blog Faith and the Magic Kingdom! Finding and exploring illustrations, metaphors, examples and lessons for the Christian life found at the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.

Comment

Obviously a pirated edition. The Disney Attornies should be all over this guy like a fly on a dog turd.
                        "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

If this is actually released I am SO buying it.

Comment

[Watching SOTS debate rise from dead]
                            It's alive! It's aliiiiiive! Mwah hah hah hah hah hah!
                            [Endless evil cackling]

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X