Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaster Accident at Knotts Berry Farm - Xcelerator cable snap caught on tape

The Orange County Register is reporting at around 4pm on Wednesday September 16th, a cable on the Roller Coaster "Xcelerator" snapped injuring 2 people. While the injuries weren't serious (a 12 year old boy suffered a laceration on his leg and one man complained of back pain), Knotts has announced that the ride will be closed indefinitely while an investigation determines what caused the cable’s failure.

Knott’s spokeswoman Jennifer Blazey, said the ride had just left the boarding station when the cable broke free. The train rolled backward toward the station where riders started screaming for help once they noticed smoke coming from under the cars. The cable in question was replaced in December and was due to bereplaced after a year of use.

As luck would have it, a video was being shot while the accident occured.

For more on this story and to see the video please go to Knott’s Xcelerator ride injures two - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

NBC4 also has a video of the accident: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...-59751017.html
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 09-18-2009, 01:34 PM.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Coaster Accident at Knotts Berry Farm

Wow.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Re: Coaster Accident at Knotts Berry Farm

Video is no longer there. That's sad, I was hoping to get a ride on Xcelerator next week. Haven't ridden one of my favorite rides in a couple of years.

Here is a link with the video ... pretty scary.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...-59751017.html

Comment

Re: Coaster Accident at Knotts Berry Farm - Xcelerator cable snap caught on tape

No i was gonna ride it wen i go in a week for the halloween haunt!!!
        First Trip To WDW 8/16/09-8/27/09 was the best!!

Comment

Re: Coaster Accident at Knotts Berry Farm - Xcelerator cable snap caught on tape

Wow, appears painful. I would freak out.
          Last edited by astrologic; 09-18-2009, 08:51 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I just watched it from the second link. So lucky it wasn't more serious!
            I want my cake back!
            sigpic

Comment

It's amazing that there weren't any serious injuries. That's pretty scary. You can really tell in the end of the video that the dad's freaking out, trying to get his son out and make sure he's okay. That sort of experience would traumatize me for life.
              Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow.. That's really scary.

Comment

that ride would be for me to skip on haunt night on saturday. im glad the people are ok.

Comment

I was able to watch the link. ABC7 in LA just had in on their newscast as well.

News Story:
                    2 hurt when roller coaster cable snaps | Video | abc7.com

Just the Ride video:
                    Accident on ride at Knott's Berry Farm | Video | abc7.com
                    sigpic

Comment

WOW...Im glad no one was seriously hurt...Im glad the safety barriers were working.
                      "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
                        that ride would be for me to skip on haunt night on saturday. im glad the people are ok.
                        RexDopey, I have a feeling it will still be closed next weekend.
                        Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Comment

Whenever we are standing in that line, I keep telling my kids that there is NO WAY that the ride would stop and come back down backwards after it has been launched. Well...guess I was wrong. I just saw some photos of Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point stuck at the very top as well.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll stay and the ground for awhile. :unsure:

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post
                              Whenever we are standing in that line, I keep telling my kids that there is NO WAY that the ride would stop and come back down backwards after it has been launched. Well...guess I was wrong. I just saw some photos of Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point stuck at the very top as well.

It was probably a computerized thing that sensed that something was malfunctioning for the coaster to come back down.

You see why I never do roller coasters?! Ha

The boy who got injured and his dad were in the front of the coaster it seems...how were they able to film the front of the coaster while in motion?

Comment

Thank God nobody was seriously injured!
                                I just saw it on YOU TUBE...go to You Tube type Knotts Berry Farm - Xcelerator
                                at the bottom of the list it there.....8:09pm
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

^^ You attach a camera rig to the front of the train.

BTW, cable snaps are not that uncommon. It happened on Millennium Force at Cedar Point a few months ago, and I know that it happened on both Top Thrill Dragster and Xcelerator on previous occasions.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
                                  HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
                                  ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
                                  FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post

Just to clarify:

The coaster stopping short of the top of the hill and rolling back to the station is something that can and does happen ... often. When the ride launches, you will notice the brake fins are raised after the train passes. This is for that reason. On a short-shot the train slowly goes back to the station, and you can see that in this video.

If it was a short-shot, all they need to do is reset the ride and re-launch. NOT a big deal.

This was not a simple "Short shot". The cable actually snapped, which is why it's news. A short shot probably happens a few times a week at least and is not that big of a deal. In fact, most coaster enthusiasts wish they were on one (myself included).

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                                    It was probably a computerized thing that sensed that something was malfunctioning for the coaster to come back down.

You see why I never do roller coasters?! Ha

The boy who got injured and his dad were in the front of the coaster it seems...how were they able to film the front of the coaster while in motion?
                                    The fact remains that walking down your street, driving to work, driving TO the park is MUCH more dangerous than riding a roller coaster.

Do you know why things like this make the national news? Because they don't happen very often. If coaster accidents happened as much as say, car accidents, they wouldn't be news stories. Please keep that in mind everybody.

I also want to point out ... again ... that the safety mechanisms on this ride worked EXACTLY how they were supposed to. There were no SERIOUS injuries. If the safety mechanisms had not worked properly it could have been MUCH, MUCH worse than it was. The problem isn't with the coaster, or the train, but with that one particular launch cable.

If they replaced the cable tonight and opened the ride tomorrow, I would have no problem getting on that ride with my kids and going for a spin.

NONE.

As for the video, I think the ride has one of those "buy a DVD of your ride" things. How it got out is beyond me. There is NO WAY the park would have sold it to them. So it had to be somebody from the park who released it. And my guess is, somebody's gonna be in trouble.

Comment

Wow... thankfully everything did go as "planned" and everyone was ok... as clinks said it could have been a lot worse.
                                      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Now that's scary I just went on that ride last year.
                                        Last edited by MickeyMousePal; 09-19-2009, 12:08 AM.
                                        "You are watching FOX"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X