X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker
    replied
    Re: Rich Ross to head Walt Disney Studios

It sounds as though this guy really knows how to make money off of franchises and actors that you know will suffer from "Why did I like this in the first place?" Syndrome and of course "Lindsay Lohan" Syndrome. The products will get dated really quickly, and the actors and actresses will be on the tabloids in no time.

Disney is a MEGA-media conglomerate, no doubt, and will have to keep up with the times and the taste and culture of the audiences. My problem though is that Rich Ross is going to over-extend brands and franchises that many people question will be popular or not in the next 50 years or so. Brands such as "The Lion King," "Beauty and the Beast," "The Little Mermaid" and such have expanded into musical theater, toys, merchandising and such because of universal themes (B&B- Beauty is on the inside; The Lion King- Diversity; Aladdin- Pretending to be something that you are not). Will people look at "Lizzie McGuire" 50 years and think of it as a classic? Probably not.

After reading it a little further, I am glad to know that he is on friendly terms with John Lassater, but overlooking all of the Disney animated movies? Mixed bag. I don't want him to dumb down any of Disney's animated films to make it entertaining JUST for kids.

Leave a comment:

• girragenum
    replied

ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum...and share their exp. with gaming...

Leave a comment:

• Queentitania19
    replied

I don't think I've ever been this scared for the company. The Tween King takes over the whole studio and the DLR getting a new president on the same day. There is so much uncertainty. I hate the Disney Channel . I hate almost everything that's on it. Every program on it is part of the horrible Demographization of programs that only appeals to the lowest denominator. I'm sick with fear for the company now.

Leave a comment:

• 10/6
    replied

HAha! I read that too quick... I read RICK ROSS is taking over. As we all know he's "the boss".

^^^ little bit of Hip-Hop humor. ^^^

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

LOL, look at us; arguing about frickin' BUSINESS EXECUTIVES. This is inane.

Leave a comment:

• nish221
    replied

Personally, I think Rich Ross has a very good business acumen. He took what
    he was given (Disney Channel) and boosted each segment of his audience
    and improved its communications with the rest of the company.

A couple of data points that need to be cleared up.

* Yes, Disney Channel strongly segments its audience (which is partially was a defensive action as well as TV marketing 101; btw, I still miss Vault Disney!!) but that segmentation occurred l-o-n-g before Rich Ross took over there. You can't blame him for the fact that Disney Channel caters to the School House Disney and tween sets strongly.

* Despite what you might think HSM actually is well produced. (I think the
    story line/writing is weak btw). The music and dance sequences are very
    well done. Also there is definite talent in some of the actors (ok, maybe
    they're better singers than actors).

* Mr. Cook wasn't "All World" either. Under his watch, we got the talking Chihuahuas and G2. The decision to stop doing hand-drawn-animation also.

So, yes, I would have preferred to have Richard Cook heading the Studios as well, but I'm not going to knock Rich Ross w/o seeing what he actually does.

If he's a good businessman (and I think he is), he's going to continue doing the things that make the entire Division successful as well as continue the things that are in-progress. He's NOT going to turn the whole Division into making tween or Playhouse movies.

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    From Iger's point of view, he's perfect. A TV guy, like Iger. A guy with no attachment to the "Walt" days, like Iger. And a guy who is 100% beholden to Iger for his position.

End of story.

Maybe they can change the name of the park in Anaheim to Igerland.

Leave a comment:

• WDWDN
    replied

I am excited to see how Rich can evolve the Studios as he did the Disney Channel. I have a huge belief that he will certainly be successful in this job!

Leave a comment:

• mickhyperion
    replied

Iger is further refining the "Disney brand" into a soulless, unapologetically profit minded, disposable, kiddie product. Family entertainment should not mean "made for kids," but rather "made for adults (and kids too)." Remove the adult from the equation and you have a kiddie product that every kiddie will eventually grow out of. Walt knew that... oh, but that's right, we don't want any of that thinking around anymore. Iger will stripmine the Disney culture until there's nothing of any substance left and no one cares anymore, including us.

Leave a comment:

• SnorkletsMom
    replied

Actually, after POTC3 was released and they had the "Young Jack Sparrow" comics/young adult novels, I was really expecting them to go somewhere with that concept. I thought maybe an animated series, or a film.

Leave a comment:

• The T
    replied

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
    Does his mean that Pirates 4 will now be a prequel musical; set in a time when all the main characters are in their teen years?
    I would have a heart attack if that happened!

Leave a comment:

• Barbossa
    replied

Does his mean that Pirates 4 will now be a prequel musical; set in a time when all the main characters are in their teen years?

Leave a comment:

• BuenaVista28
    replied

I just think all this talk about how because Rich Ross headed up Disney Channel somehow that automatically means he will turn Disney into some tween studio is just ridiculous. Ya know Bob Iger was a weatherman before he came to Disney, I guess if we applied the same logic to him when he came on board at Disney we should have expected him to turn the films into nothing but nature/weather films. Its just silly.

And Dick Cook, with all his love from the fan community,starting off as a ride operator etc, still churned out tween crap like the recent Hampster movie. Something to think about.

Leave a comment:

• AcmePunched
    replied

Yeah.. Time will tell, I suppose. I can't exactly say I know the guy.

Leave a comment:

• SnorkletsMom
    replied

I don't care about the personalities. I'm looking at his resume as boss of the cable channel. Yes, he's made marketable, profit-making shows. But those shows are abysmal. I care less about how much money he can make as studio boss than I do about whether or not he can actually greenlight some quality films.

Leave a comment:

• BuenaVista28
    replied

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
    Ditto. It would be a mistake if the studios reject a broad audience to go after only the Tweens as Disney Channel has done.

But time will tell. Clearly, Iger wants to clean house. Heads are rolling. The question is, what is his master plan? What sort of company is he crafting?

I tend to trust Iger's instincts, so I'm tentatively not as worried as some are at this moment.
    Im with Dusty on this one, Mr. Ross has proved himself to have a good eye for successful shows/franchises etc, just because Disney Channel focused on the "tween" market doesnt mean that he will turn the Disney Studios into a tween studio. Heck the decision to have Disney Channel a tween channel probably came from above Mr Ross anyhow and wasnt necessarily his idea. He's obviously a very smart capable exec who can churn out popular franchises etc, I say we give him a chance.

I know the Disney fan community loves Dick Cook, but lets face it, the past few years under his leadership have failed creatively. I know he started as a ride operator at Disneyland etc but that type of thing only goes so far in my book. If you cant make a good product, then all that 'history' with the company does no good. At the end of the day its about Disney, not Dick Cook etc. Lets try not to fall in love with the personalities and try to see these guys for what they are and what they can do for Disney. Im loyal to the Disney Company (not individual execs etc) so if this Disney Channel guy can produce more hits and better movies, then Im all for him.

On a side note, I miss ya Dusty! I havent been to the resort in a while, Ill have to head down there soon and say hi 2 everyone =]

Leave a comment:

• The T
    replied

But at least the Walt Disney Animation Studios will have a brighter future.

Leave a comment:

• Dustysage
    replied

Originally posted by AcmePunched View Post
    I don't want Disney Channel to take over Disney.
    Ditto. It would be a mistake if the studios reject a broad audience to go after only the Tweens as Disney Channel has done.

But time will tell. Clearly, Iger wants to clean house. Heads are rolling. The question is, what is his master plan? What sort of company is he crafting?

I tend to trust Iger's instincts, so I'm tentatively not as worried as some are at this moment.

Leave a comment:

• AcmePunched
    replied

I'm scared. I'm very scared. I don't want Disney Channel to take over Disney. And just when I thought we'd be getting our next Disney renaissance period...

I'm gonna go take refuge in my anime.. *hides under covers and huggles Alphonse Elric plushie*

Leave a comment:

• Lost Boy
    replied

Very disappointing news indeed. Watch for only kiddie based movies coming from the Studio. There will be more and more talking animals and probably a G2 sequel, and a Wizards of Waverly Street movie to compete with Harry Potter (like that would be competition). They made one mistake in the way they handled the firing ( no matter what they call it, he was fired) of Dick Cook and now they have just made another bad decision. My confidence in Bob Iger is no more. He has just done something as bad as Eisner when that man closed the Feature Animation Department. This time the very meaning of a "Family Freindly" Studio has gone right out the door.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X