This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney Stores Getting Overhaul

Saw this article and seems intresting. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/bu.../13disney.html

Disney’s Retail Plan Is a Theme Park in Its Stores
    By BROOKS BARNES
    Published: October 12, 2009
    LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Company, with the help of Steven P. Jobs and his retailing team at Apple, intends to drastically overhaul its approach to the shopping mall.

. . .

Disney Stores, which the media giant is considering rebranding Imagination Park, will become more akin to cozy entertainment hubs. The chain’s traditional approach of displaying row after row of toys and apparel geared to Disney franchises will be given a high-tech makeover and incorporated into a new array of recreational activities. The goal is to make children clamor to visit the stores and stay longer, perhaps bolstering sales as a result. Over the next five years, analysts estimate that Disney will spend about $1 million a store to redecorate, reorganize and install interactive technology.
    Read the full story at the link above.

Check out the CNBC report of this: http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1294049041&play=1#
    Last edited by Explicit; 10-14-2009, 07:52 PM. Reason: Added video link
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15...

Re: Disney Stores Getting Overhaul

This sounds exciting...however they also need to realize adults will buy merchandise too. While the kids are busy playing, add some adult/collectible merchandise for their parents to browse and possibly buy as well.

I guess NNL and I will check it out in May, since Long Island is surprisingly one of the first three...and we'll be at the new flagship in Times Square once (if) it opens also.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

BRAVO!!!! I love when they admit the current mistakes like "dog's breakfast", because that means they are now focussed on erradicating those errors! However, I have said, from the 1st time I saw the big red mickey head stores, It's Looks like an emergency ward at the hospital. And even children's hospitals know that's a bad thing! This sounds like the first actual imrovement since the original stores that each had their own distinct displays!

And ABSOLUTELY!!!! They need to add back the adult and collectable merchandise!
      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

They certainly sound amazing... but focusing on kids is such a lame decision. I guess no one in the store division realizes that Disney is more than just kids' stuff.

Comment

This will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Since the end of August Disney Store opened three new stores in the Boston market. Including one which had their grand opening today. Two of which were in malls that at one point had and the third mall never had one prior. These three stores all were literaly thrown together in a little over a weeks time, and it shows. Supposedly they are on a short term lease (two years from my understaning)very little was changed from the previous tenant that occupied the three spaces and what couldn't get cover over with a can of white paint got a magical white shower curtain with pixie dust to cover hanging on a metal rod. Complete with generic white shelves. I am not joking when I say these stores were "constructed" and "merchandised" in about a weeks time.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

I would call that a major ray of hope.

This could have the earmarks of a hit -- not just in concept, but more importantly in the development approach.

Now, if Jobs can just keep the pressure on the Company to prevent it from doing what it has done with every hit since Eisner's day, namely, greedily force the Golden Goose to lay 10 years' of profits in 18 months, they just might have something that works for the long term. Something that is truly 21st-century Disney magic.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

This sounds amazing! I cannot wait to see what they do with the Times Square flagship. THAT one will be a destination. Hopefully if they are about to sign a lease they could possibly get it completed around the end of next year in time for some cross promotion with Tron & Rapunzel.

Comment

I can't wait to see what the stores look like. Disney spending a million dollars per store is pretty impressive. I would be pretty surprised if Simon Property Group didn't go along with whatever Disney wanted to do ... Especially in these days when retailers are leaving malls, not coming to them.
                sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a really great idea.
                  MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                  Save

Comment

I hope that the flagship one is similar to the current one on 5th Ave, merchandise-wise. I hope it isn't just kid's merch like the current stores in malls are.
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I've seen the early concept art and it looks pretty cool if they do it right.

Oh and re: the NYC store. Yes it's a Disney store, but it's not part of The Disney Store. Think of it like a World of Disney. The NYC store and the ones at Dl & WDW's downtown Disney's aren't actually part of the Disney Store chain

Comment

This sounds really interesting and intriguing. I saw it on my Mac rumors and news site and thought that it was a good idea. Jobs did bring Apple back from the dead and the Apple Stores are definitely one of the best quality places. It'll be interesting to see if this turns the Disney Store around or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuzcochik View Post
                          Oh and re: the NYC store. Yes it's a Disney store, but it's not part of The Disney Store. Think of it like a World of Disney. The NYC store and the ones at Dl & WDW's downtown Disney's aren't actually part of the Disney Store chain
                          So you're saying it will stay the way it is?
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I've seen the early concept art and it looks pretty cool if they do it right.

Is any of the concept art online?

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                              So you're saying it will stay the way it is?
                              I believe it will (actually am I wrong or aren't they closing the NYC store?)

Originally posted by MrSunnyBlack View Post
                              Is any of the concept art online?
                              Would that it was, but not as of yet. I'd share but I'd rather not lose my job

Comment

Would that it was, but not as of yet. I'd share but I'd rather not lose my job
                                Oh, I thought it was just online somewhere haha! Hopefully we will see more of their plans soon since they have announced it publicly.

Comment

I believe it will (actually am I wrong or aren't they closing the NYC store?)
                                  The rumor is they are, but were looking for a new location to still have a Disney Store in the city. I guess this Times Square location will replace it. Works for me, a much better location.
                                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Updated the first post with a video link about this from CNBC for thgose intrested in watching it.

Video - CNBC.com
                                    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15...

Comment

Sounds excellent. I hope the Disney Stores can be revived and do nicely like the Apple Stores do.

Comment

It's confirmed that the 5th Avenue World of Disney is closing by the end of the year. The store actually was a "Disney Store" prior to the sale of the chain to the Children's Place. When they sold the chain, Disney held on to the NYC location and gave it to Parks and Resorts. Now that Disney controls the stores again, the new flagship (whenever it happens) will also be a Disney Store again.

For Disney, the Magic on Fifth Avenue Ends - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com
                                        "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
                                        --John Lasseter

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X