This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UP DVD Release, DVD Collection, and DVD vs. Blu-Ray

So me and my girlfriend are planning on take a trip over to the Soda Fountain for the UP DVD Release (then spend a day at d-land, of course) on Nov 10th. Definitely wearing our Wilderness Explorer hats... debating wearing the sashes.
    Anyone else gonna be there?
    (that isn't my main question)

My main question is this: DVD or Blu-Ray?
    I'm young, but I'm starting up my Disney movie collection now. I've got old VHS's and some family DVDs, but I want my own collection.
    But with the recent addition of Blu-Ray... I'm wondering if I should start collecting in Blu-Ray... or DVD?
    I don't have a Blu-Ray player (my dad does though), but I figure, if in 5 years DVDs become obsolete, I'll be pissed that I own 30 Disney DVDs instead of Blu-Rays.
    I personally think a lot of cartoons don't look too great in HD in general due to its blurriness, and I figure this might especially apply to older movies that aren't very high quality to begin with.
    I haven't watched a single Disney movie in Blu-Ray, so I figured hopefully someone on here has.
    Also, it may be different for newer animated movies such as UP. It's not 2D so it might look AWESOME in HD, I have no idea.
    So... how does it look? Which is better? All that stuff. I want anyone and everyone's input on this.
    DVD
    25.00%
    Blu-Ray
    45.83%
    Yes, at the Soda Fountain!
    4.17%
    Yes, elsewhere!
    1.39%
    Nope
    20.83%
    I don't like the movie UP and am not Awesome.
    2.78%

Re: UP DVD Release, DVD Collection, and DVD vs. Blu-Ray

I love the last poll option (:
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Comment

I love my BluRay. Period. Full stop. That's all she wrote.
      First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
      First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
      BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Blu-Ray!

You can play DVDs on Blu-Ray machines ...
        but not vice-versa.

The resolution, of course, .. will not make much difference when it comes to animated films, but will in live action films.

If you have an LCD TV ... at least 40 inches large .. then Blu-Ray will make the difference.
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Definitely Blu-Ray. I just installed a 78" home theater system and don't want it to go to waste!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
          HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
          ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
          FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

You can get UP and Monsters Inc Blu ray from Amazon right now for 37.48 for both:
            Monsters, Inc. (4-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray] and get Up (4 Disc Combo Pack with Digital Copy and DVD) [Blu-ray] 37.48

Comment

Blu Ray, and sadly I'm in Florida so no I won't be attending, but I would've loved to!

:/ My copy is preordered from Disneystore already. Sucks since it probably won't arrive until like the 15th.

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by The Disneylander View Post
                Definitely Blu-Ray. I just installed a 78" home theater system and don't want it to go to waste!
                I'm jealous.

I chose DVD, since I don't have Blu Ray.
                I like how Disney has the combo pack, and I would buy that, and I would be able to watch my DVD until I got a Blu Ray player and everything would be awesome. But then if I end up never getting a Blu Ray player I just wasted an extra $10.
                Oh well, maybe some day.

Comment

Bluray all the way!! the cool thing about Disney too is lately they have been putting out bluray movies with a copy of the dvd with it! So u get both!

Comment

Will for sure be getting the Blu Ray.

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                    The resolution, of course, .. will not make much difference when it comes to animated films, but will in live action films
                    Are you kidding? It makes an INCREDIBLE difference. Snow White looked absolutely breathtaking in Blu Ray. Wall-E was the movie that convinced us we had chosen right when we got our Blu Ray.

Transformers 2, aside from being a crappy movie honestly didn't impress me in Blu.

Comment

I would say just buy the Blu-Ray it comes with the DVD(bravo Disney)! That way you can watch the DVD until you get a Blu-Ray player which are dropping in price.

I hear ya about collecting Disney DVDs :/ The way I look at it some of the DVDs I have could take years before they come to Blu-Ray. (i.e. The Great Mouse Detective, The Lion King, Aladdin). Disney also does a great job with the quality of their Blu-Rays. Wall-e was impressive and my jaw dropped when I watched Pinocchio.

What events are going on at the Soda Fountain for the UP release? I haven't heard about it.

Comment

Wow! Practically everyone said Blu-Ray. That is surprising, I expected at least a few DVD supporters to voice their opinion haha.
                        See but then there's also the cost issue. Blu-Ray is way more expensive than DVD.
                        But you guys are extremely convincing.
                        I think what I'm going to have to do is rent Wall-E on Blu-Ray (or buy it, if I can't rent it), watch it on my 52" Samsung HDTV (had to throw that in there ... technically it's my dad's though haha), and then make my decision.
                        But if what you guys are saying is accurate, I may just switch over to the Blu Side.

What do you guys think about the price issue? Is it worth the price?
                        Also, there's the huge question... will Blu-Rays even last?
                        With DVDs it kinda feels like it might become a fun sort of classic item... where having a collection of DVDs 40 years from now would be the equivalent of my parents owning a collection of Vinyl Records now.

More input, let's keep this flowing

(PS. Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum! I'm so used to just reading and posting everything in the Disneyland forum. Didn't even occur to me to post this elsewhere.)

Comment

Well I went from VHS to Laserdisc to DVD and now Bluray. It wont end.

I've heard some stores will have UP on Bluray for 19.99 according some posts on the Bluray forums. Not bad since I use to pay that much when DVDs first came out.

Comment

I was astonished by Sleeping Beauty on blu-ray. I actually think animation is served especially well by high definition. The color is so full; live action movies in HD sometimes look too grainy for me.
                            My finger points.

Comment

I don't own a Blu-Ray because I don't have a fancy newer T.V., but, I will fully enjoy it on DVD when it comes out!

Comment

I will be buying Up on blu-ray, and the bonus DVD I give to my mother, as she doesn't have many Disney movies in her DVD collection.

Comment

Bah! Nevermind, I am no longer going to the Soda Fountain for the UP DVD release.
                                  The reason I was originally planning on going is because a Soda Fountain rep was at D23 Expo and I was talking to him about UP and the ever elusive Ellie Badge Pin. He then told me that they were working on release a new set of Limited Edition UP Pins at the DVD Release... including a new Ellie Badge.
                                  However, I called them today to confirm and looks like there are no plans for anything special at the UP DVD release.
                                  Sooo not making the trip to LA after all. I'll just be getting it off Amazon.

Comment

I haven't even seen UP yet, but I plan on buying it.

Comment

I 'might' go over to the Soda Fountain for the release, but money is super tight right now, so maybe not...I desperately want a grape soda pin and was hoping they'd do another release.

What I did with the Snow White release was buy the 3 disc pack, containing the movie on BR, the movie on DVD, and the extras on BR. Wal-mart had them on sale for 19.99, I had a $10 coupon, and another $5 rebate.

If you do a search here on MC, you'll find several threads about Blu-ray, DVDs and whatever the next 'big thing' will be.

For us, we have a 52" HDTV, so BR is a good thing. I can watch Blu-ray on my computer also, so that's a bonus. Having the DVD also means we can watch it on any TV in the house, so there was no reason not to buy the set.

Comment

Originally posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
                                        I 'might' go over to the Soda Fountain for the release, but money is super tight right now, so maybe not...I desperately want a grape soda pin and was hoping they'd do another release.

What I did with the Snow White release was buy the 3 disc pack, containing the movie on BR, the movie on DVD, and the extras on BR. Wal-mart had them on sale for 19.99, I had a $10 coupon, and another $5 rebate.

If you do a search here on MC, you'll find several threads about Blu-ray, DVDs and whatever the next 'big thing' will be.

For us, we have a 52" HDTV, so BR is a good thing. I can watch Blu-ray on my computer also, so that's a bonus. Having the DVD also means we can watch it on any TV in the house, so there was no reason not to buy the set.
                                        That's what I'm planning on doing. It's really cheap on Amazon for the whole Disc set, so I figure why not buy it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X