This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'A Christmas Carol' unwraps

Family crowd pleaser "Disney's A Christmas Carol" easily took the top spot Friday with close to $9 million in a frame that was crowded with wide releases from such headliners as George Clooney, Cameron Diaz and Milla Jovovich.
    Compared to director Robert Zemeckis' previous performance-capture animated films, the first day for "Christmas Carol" fell in between the first Friday of 2004's G-rated "The Polar Express" which made $6.2 million and his 2007 PG-13 lit pic adaptation "Beowulf" which made $10 million. "Beowulf" and "Polar Express" respectively posted opening weekends of $27.5 million and $23.3 million. Matinees will no doubt work in favor of "Christmas Carol" as it looks to keep its lock on No. 1.

"Christmas Carol" stars Jim Carrey as both Ebenezer Scrooge and the classic tale's three ghosts. Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Cary Elwes and Robin Wright Penn also star. Pic was in play at 3,683 sites, 2,035 of which were 3-D equipped (including 181 Imax screens).
    more at:
    'Christmas Carol' cheers in $9 million
    'Christmas Carol' cheers in $9 million - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

5/18/09
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1166...mas-carol.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'A Christmas Carol' unwraps

Opening day: 'Christmas Carol' debut not looking too jolly

Walt Disney Studios' big-budget holiday bet "A Christmas Carol" got off to a soft start Friday, selling a studio-estimated $9 million in the U.S. and Canada.

Based on the performance of similar films, that means the motion-capture-animated tale starring Jim Carrey should gross $30 million to $35 million through Sunday, a relatively weak debut given its production budget of nearly $200 million and Disney's substantial investment in marketing.

Pre-release surveys had indicated the movie would open to at least $40 million domestically over its first three days.
    Opening day: 'Christmas Carol' debut not looking too jolly | Company Town | Los Angeles Times
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

the first week of november is way too early especially after halloween, maybe all the holiday christmas movies should start on thanksgiving which by the way, makes it a perfect weekend to see.

Comment

The reviews haven't helped.

Comment

It was actually a very good film.

Comment

It's beginning to look a bit like Christmas as Disney's "A Christmas Carol" bowed during the weekend to an estimated $31 million at the North American boxoffice. That number wasn't as big a holiday gift as the studio was hoping for, but with Christmas seven weekends away, the 3D movie has time to spread cheer.

In the top spot, "Carol" illustrated the growing appeal of 3D. Of the 3,683 locations in which the movie played, 181 offered it in Imax 3D; RealD dominated the non-Imax 3D showings, with 1,535 locations using its technology. Nearly three-quarters of the movie's $31 million gross came from 3D locations, with Imax alone accounting for $4.5 million, or 14.5% of the total gross, a record November-December opening for the large format, whose relationship with "Carol" director Robert Zemeckis goes back to November 2004's "The Polar Express."

"There's a natural connection between Zemeckis and Imax," Imax president of filmed entertainment Greg Foster said.

Agreed Disney distribution president Chuck Viane: "The 3D of it all is where the public is going. They are choosing to see this picture in 3D, and it's spectacular in 3D."

CinemaScore actually found that the movie scored higher -- earning an A-minus -- in 3D theaters than in non-3D venues, where it registered a B-plus. The 3D appeal also might have accounted for the fact that 15% of the audience were teens separate from the family crowd, a larger component than Disney was expecting for the PG-rated movie's first weekend.
            full article at:

'Christmas Carol' wins boxoffice

Movie earns a lower-than-expected $31 million
            'Christmas Carol' wins boxoffice
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

International box office:

Finishing No. 2 on the weekend was director Robert Zemeckis' 3D performance-capture version of Disney's "A Christmas Carol" starring Jim Carrey as Ebenezer Scrooge, which drew $12 million in its opener at 2,750 screens in 18 territories for a per-screen average of $4,364.

Disney said that "3D was a significant factor, accounting for 62% of our total result from only 37% of the screens." The latest version of Charles Dickens' frequently filmed 1843 novella opened at No. 1 domestically and has collected a worldwide tally of $43 million so far.

Driving "Christmas Carol" were strong opening numbers in the U.K. and in Mexico. Disney says that "on a consolidated basis in the same bucket of territories, the $12 million take was the best ever achieved by a Robert Zemeckis film." The take was 50% bigger than that of "The Polar Express," Zemeckis' 2004 Christmas season title in 3D.

This week, "Christmas Carol" opens in Spain, Japan and Colombia.

'This Is It' tops overseas boxoffice

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                It was actually a very good film.
                And I'm glad you enjoyed it, but have you ever seen the 1951 Alistair Sim version? Ever read the book? It's a great, classic story, but the effects in this version overwhelm it and squeeze all the emotion out of it. It's not really the kind of story that's designed to be blown up to some huge eye-dazzling spectacle.

New York Movies - Jim Carrey and Robert Zemeckis' Very CGI Christmas Carol - page 1

Comment

the movie was awesome and a great christmas movie. i had no idea there would be some creepy parts to the movie lol and it got me lol. what a beautiful movie everyone should see this movie and for the thanksgiving weekend as well. it was well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
                    And I'm glad you enjoyed it, but have you ever seen the 1951 Alistair Sim version? Ever read the book? It's a great, classic story, but the effects in this version overwhelm it and squeeze all the emotion out of it. It's not really the kind of story that's designed to be blown up to some huge eye-dazzling spectacle.

New York Movies - Jim Carrey and Robert Zemeckis' Very CGI Christmas Carol - page 1

are you kidding? the effects and graphics was done well and it was great.

Comment

$31 million is huge for a Christmas movie opening the first weekend in November. It's going to continue to play well for the next two months. I thought it might have been too early to open it for the holiday season, but I guess not.

Comment

i felt like i was in the movie and some of the scenes are creepy in the beginning. everyone go see it. this is one holiday movie you wouldn't one to miss. i think jim carrey did better as scrooge and way better than the grinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
                          are you kidding? the effects and graphics was done well and it was great.
                          No....no, I'm not kidding. However, I didn't say that the effects and graphics weren't well done. They're quite well done, in fact. That's not the issue.

The issue is that the effects and graphics.... you know what? You just go right on ahead and have your fun, son.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
                            i think jim carrey did better as scrooge
                            Better than whom?

Comment

No....no, I'm not kidding. However, I didn't say that the effects and graphics weren't well done. They're quite well done, in fact. That's not the issue.

The issue is that the effects and graphics.... you know what? You just go right on ahead and have your fun, son.

oh alright. my mistake lol. you do have point though about emotions though.

Comment

The reviews haven't helped.
                                The reviews weren't good?? I'm surprised. I thought it was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and stunning.

Comment

Better than whom?
                                  IMO the best Christmas Carol besides this one was the one with George C. Scott as Scrooge, followed by the Muppets

Comment

Better than whom?

better than the grinch character. sorry about that.

Comment

I have seen to twice already, I thought it was a real surprise and really really enjoyed it alot.

As for retrocool, I havent seen the 1951 version and being that its 60 years old I think we are due for a new version thats updated. BUt if it ever turns up on one of the classic movie channels Ill watch it.

Disney did a great job.

Comment

that director sure knows how to use the 3d really well.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X