Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

    Life is all about choice and moderation.

    Most of the time I'm a die hard must have popcorn type of movie goer. We've scaled back to a small. That's a change I can live with.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

      Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
      ^ We have one of those near us now and have been meaning to try it. Is it distracting watching a movie while people are getting served food?
      No it's counter service at Muvico. I know some Muvico theatres have bars and regular restaurants though.

      But I've been to one of those little theatres that's also a full service restaurant... the Tampa Pitcher Show The food was good (I had a great pizza) and it didn't interrupt the movie at all. I've been wanting to try the Cinema Cafe here in Clearwater sometime to see how it compares. I think they recently remodeled too. Plus they serve alcohol!

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

        Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        No, but the grease and butter and sugar coupled with the dinner at In N Out before or after the show ...

        And some people go to the movies once a week. I know many times in the summer we do. Nobody should be eating the equivalent of 3 Quarter Pounders in a week.

        About the prices, I expect to pay a premium for things when I go to Disneyland or the Movies. It's always been that way, it's not going to change now.

        The sad thing is, as far as the popcorn is concerned, they can make it less fattening, it's not hard to do.
        I'm Baaaaaaaaad Because I love that fattening popcorn with butter and salt! MMmmm... Nice and warm too!

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

          Originally posted by Xharryb View Post
          I'm just not someone who needs a snack at the movies, but I don't understand why the theaters don't step into this century and re-evaluate their offerings. Instead of trying to fight things by saying "this is how we make our money", change your offerings. Sure, there will always be people who insist on having popcorn, candy and soda at a movie, because that's just the way it's always been for them. I can appreciate the nostalgia even if I don't feel it myself. So I'm not saying to do away with those options. However it wouldn't be that hard to offer other options, some of which are healthier and all of which might be more appealing and worthy of a premium price. In the long run, I think it's the theater operators who think outside the box like that who will be best equipped to survive.
          Yup, look at what the Springfield theater did in the future; they're offering Soylent Green at the concession. Mmmmmmm Soylent Green...

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

            Originally posted by Xharryb View Post
            I'm just not someone who needs a snack at the movies, but I don't understand why the theaters don't step into this century and re-evaluate their offerings. Instead of trying to fight things by saying "this is how we make our money", change your offerings. Sure, there will always be people who insist on having popcorn, candy and soda at a movie, because that's just the way it's always been for them. I can appreciate the nostalgia even if I don't feel it myself. So I'm not saying to do away with those options. However it wouldn't be that hard to offer other options, some of which are healthier and all of which might be more appealing and worthy of a premium price. In the long run, I think it's the theater operators who think outside the box like that who will be best equipped to survive.
            I totally agree.

            You know in France ... you can get beer in a movie theatre. And I'm not talking about a plastic cup, I mean a GLASS of beer.

            Originally posted by aimster View Post
            No it's counter service at Muvico. I know some Muvico theatres have bars and regular restaurants though.

            But I've been to one of those little theatres that's also a full service restaurant... the Tampa Pitcher Show The food was good (I had a great pizza) and it didn't interrupt the movie at all. I've been wanting to try the Cinema Cafe here in Clearwater sometime to see how it compares. I think they recently remodeled too. Plus they serve alcohol!
            Our Muvico is a full-service restaurant, but I'm really insterested in trying it. The kids are gone this week, maybe Monday.

            Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
            Yup, look at what the Springfield theater did in the future; they're offering Soylent Green at the concession. Mmmmmmm Soylent Green...
            :lmao:

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

              It's time for a showdown! :verymad: These turkeys at the theaters sneak in higher and higher consession prices... I sneak in reasonably priced food... and take in a free second feature. By that time I'm out of my contraband food, so I end up buying consession food. So, I spread my discontent around to both the theaters and the studios. LOL!
              Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-20-2009, 08:27 PM.
              To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

                Originally posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
                I'm Baaaaaaaaad Because I love that fattening popcorn with butter and salt! MMmmm... Nice and warm too!
                Ditto-me loves that buttery theater popcorn.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

                  ^Same here!
                  Though I often leave the popcorn free of that theater "melted butter" crap cause I know it's not real butter,if not anything, and will just make the corn wet and soggy. I never leave the concession bar without Maynard's, Skittles or Sour Twizzler Bits in hand.And when ever it's financially possible, I substitute popcorn with either New York Fries or TCBY (yum!).

                  I may sound like a fat pig, but I have a overactive metabolism so I don't really worry about theater carbs. I know what I'm eating,so I don't have to listen to fear tactics to think otherwise.
                  Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
                  Think of it as a third arm that magically
                  shoots bullets!

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

                    Why do I have a feeling even if healthier food options were given American Serving Size standards would kill whatever makes the food healthy to begin with?

                    For me it's just a small bag of popcorn, a candy bar or restaurant food. I don't go to the movie theatres that often (I'm impressed if anybody can go weekly) so like fast food, the healthiness of theater food isn't an issue. Besides that makes it more of a treat!
                    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

                      With the rare exceptions being I am absolutely starving and won't be able to concentrate on the movie because of my growling stomach, I never bother with the concession stand anymore. It's overpriced junk food that I can get elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

                      Now, having said that, if theaters had a diner inside them, or maybe even a food court that paid them rent and offered a bit of culinary variety (even fast food), I might eat inside the theater. Might.

                      But theaters could, and should, also make their profits from other offerings like (duh!) movie-related books, CDs, and (obviously) DVDs. Odd that so few (if any) provide them in their lobbies. I guess the people that operate movie theaters are brainless dolts.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

                        I don't go to the theaters that often maybe 2 times a month. I hardly eat snacks at the theaters when watching a movie. If I do I will share my popcorn with one or two of my friends.
                        "You are watching FOX"

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

                          Many of my local theaters offer refills on popcorn

                          Comment

                          Get Away Today Footer

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X