X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sir clinksalot
    replied
    Re: Group Protests pardoned Turkey's going to Disneyland

^ Thanks for the post Jasper. Nice to hear the opinion of somebody with some knowledge on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• JasperIN
    replied

As usual, the story in the paper does not relate perhaps the most important piece of information that readers need to form an accurate opinion of the situation with these turkeys. That fact is that the turkey that is most commonly raised in the United States is a hybrid bird that will only live an average of about 18 months regardless of the quality of care it receives.

The bottom line is that Disney is doing a fine job of taking care of these birds and if the sanctuary is getting any of the birds to live more than 18 months or so it is pure luck and not the quality of care they are receiving.

By the way, I do know what I am speaking of because I have several friends and relatives who have raised turkeys commercially for many years and I have worked with them as well.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
    Wow, what an assumption. A call for common decency and respect for others gets labeled an attempt at creating a protected class? Seriously?

Conservatism thy name is hypocrisy.
    No hypocrisy involved, I just don't want them to follow the usual pattern. Someone throws the first brick-bat, then they run and hide behind the mantle of "You can't say anything nasty about us, we are (the minority group) and it's not fair!!"

Vegetarians and Omnivores and Carnivores all have to take active steps to get along. Getting angry isn't going to help. We have to provide them with decent dining options, and they have to not protest our choices in life - we don't protest theirs.

And you can relieve a lot of that tension with innocent laughter, and honest discussion.

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    DO NOT try to create a "Protected Class" out of this, or you'll have both sides mad at you.
    Wow, what an assumption. A call for common decency and respect for others gets labeled an attempt at creating a protected class? Seriously?

Conservatism thy name is hypocrisy.

Leave a comment:

• a-net-fan
    replied

OMGGGGGG Some ppl are so stupid! The whole pardon the turkey thing is a fun tradition but to actually bother our president with a petition to send the pardoned bird somewhere other then the traditional place is absurd. Stupid bird brained people...ugh.... I cant stand ppl like this :S

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Are you actually trying to "Throw the Vegetarian Card" Here? :lol: (Ref. the term "Throw the Race Card")
    This is what I was thinking. I don't see vegetarians being blasted where I find this to be a silly protest. If I see Al Sharpton protesting that a black eye is offensive and we should call it a burised eye I would find that to be a foolish protest. Has nothing to do with the race or diet choice.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
    I find it interesting that the very same people who make a regular habit of mocking vegetarians, vegans, or animal rights activists are also incredibly quick to take offense at any suggestion that they are callous, unkind, ill-mannered, ignorant, and/or mean-spirited.
    Are you actually trying to "Throw the Vegetarian Card" Here? :lol: (Ref. the term "Throw the Race Card")

It's a free world. There's a full range of folks out there, ranging from Vegetarian - Vegan - Ovo-Lacto Veggie - Restricted Meat Eater (Fish and Chicken Only is a popular one) - Omnivore - to full on Carnivore

DO NOT try to create a "Protected Class" out of this, or you'll have both sides mad at you.

There are valid points and thoughts on both sides of the argument, and it's a matter of how you were raised and how you choose to live your life - and either side is allowed to mock the other for their perceived "weaknesses", as long as it remains firmly in the spirit of fun.

I'm an Omnivore, I'll have a little of everything (within reason) for a balanced diet - but I still believe Vegetables are what Food Eats. :lmao: There are lots of languages in this world (I don't want to single any one out in particular) where the word "vegetarian" translates to "lousy hunter" :roll: And I'll stop here... Oops, gotta go! :mob:

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

I find it interesting that the very same people who make a regular habit of mocking vegetarians, vegans, or animal rights activists are also incredibly quick to take offense at any suggestion that they are callous, unkind, ill-mannered, ignorant, and/or mean-spirited.

Leave a comment:

• ManaByte
    replied

I counter-protest! Those turkeys should go to hungry families on Thanksgiving!

mmmm...Turkey....

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

Wow. Lotta hatred in this thread for people who care about animals. Where were you when Michael Vick needed you?

Leave a comment:

• Code90
    replied

I guess I shouldn't own a dog since Farm Sanctuary clearly knows how to better care for animals than I do.

They are just bitter because they want a piece of the publicity, too. Aww... Too bad.

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

They don't have one hell of a lot to do at Farm Spanktuary, do they. Disney should give these do gooders a bird for the next ten years or so... and revoke their annual Two-Day passes while they are at it.

Leave a comment:

• CMHusband
    replied

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Group protests turkeys at Disneyland - Around Disney : The Orange County Register

[/COLOR]

Yes, because they will be SO mistreated at Disneyland. The fact that past pardoned Turkey's have lived long lives at Disneyland should be enough.
    These guys need to "get a life".

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

Well I hope Disney treats the Animals right, if so I see no reason for it not to live at DL for the next couple of months.

Leave a comment:

• Barbossa
    replied

"I was planning to eat this sucker."

"You will live, in Disneyland."

BBC's video of the pardoning:
    BBC News - President Obama pardons turkey

Leave a comment:

• k_peek_2000
    replied

It's one thing to love animals, I love animals. Whenever I can I try and do my part to help animals out. But these people are wasteing their time. The turkey is fine at Disneyland, unless they'd rather it be slaughtered like it's original fate.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

I DO NOT THINK -that Disney mistreated the Turkey!
    But Why is it they the ones always get them...?
    I sure good place's were find homes like other petting zoo's
    across the country!
    Disney should not be only place's to find home!
    This stunt it is old.........which the meaning behide it getting old!

Leave a comment:

• blondiethesounds
    replied

stupid hippies.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyphenom
    replied

So, the whole real reason for this is they're upset that Disneyland gets the publicity for the stunt (which is all it really is. Seriously, pardoned turkeys?) instead of their shelter.

Next year, it will be a dog shelter who can claim "not once in the history of our shelter has a turkey died here." And yeah, they're right too. Since they never had a live turkey there in the first place.

Frankly, the turkeys at Disneyland are well taken care of, even if they're not always on display. They have, what, two turkeys to lavish attention on? Even if the lifespan is shorter, it's a higher quality of life than being, once again, one of who knows how many this shelter has.

There, they're just one of the group.
    At Disneyland, they're prized and celebrities.

Sure, you could argue that the birds don't really care about such things. Then again, you can also say they're most likely not lamenting the fact that their life is tragically cut short by being shipped to Disneyland instead of that wonderful Turkey Sanctuary...

Leave a comment:

• ImagineerWaryur
    replied

I love when they serve them up in early January with that special cranberry sauce. Those pardoned turkeys always taste the best! Hmmm hmm hmm!

ImagineerWarrior

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X