This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The S.S. Disney, Imagineering's concept for a floating Disneyland

Editor's Note: This is a new version of an earlier S.S Disney article that i posted back in May. Thanks to Mark Hickson, who recently found old pictures of the S.S. Disney model, you'll be able to explore this fantastic project that never was...and likely never will be.

Disney and more: The " S.S Disney " , an incredible WDI project - Interview with Mark Hickson

Then join us back here and let us know what you think about a floating theme park!
    Last edited by Dustysage; 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM. Reason: edit
    http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

Re: The S.S Disney, an incredible WDI project of a "floating Disneyland" Edited versi

Wow! Truly amazing. It's hard to really fathom the scale of a project like this. The logistics were crazy! the pre arrival of the entrance/ticket booths, the separate ships for cast travel and fireworks, not to mention the hiring and training of local CMs in each port!
    Wow...just wow

Comment

Re: The S.S Disney, an incredible WDI project of a "floating Disneyland" Edited versi

I remember being amazed at how awesome this article first was, but this revised post makes it even more amazing! Thanks for sharing!
      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Re: The S.S. Disney, Imagineering's concept for a floating Disneyland

And once again, I am in complete awe of the Imagineering team. They really are the BEST role models for children: they really CAN do anything they set their minds to! Absolutely amazing. I'm very sad this never came to be. I would have absolutely loved to be part of the zoo crew on such an immaculate project!

Comment

Wow!!!
          Jon A. Leslie
          nojarama
          http://www.nojarama.com

Comment

That's amazing!!! I wish they would have kept part of this idea when they started with Disney Cruise Line... Riding it's a small world while on a cruise would be cool!

Comment

The fact that Disney even operates a cruising industry is impressive alone - and apparently that was the scaled-down concept! :blink:

This is definitely one of the most bizarre projects I've ever heard from WDI, right up there with Plectu's Intergalactic Revue. I couldn't even imagine this idea coming to fruition. On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't mind some of these ideas incorporated onto Disney Cruise Line - a real ride (or several) on a cruise ship would be really cool!
              Last edited by MarkTwain; 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I think it should have a Space Mountain in there.

Comment

That would be amazing!

Great post!

Comment

Unbelievable! Great interview, Alain!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Very cool.

I can't quite decide if this is the best idea ever, or a ridiculous over-the-top pipe dream, but it's fascinating either way.
                      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Whoa!!! Awesomeness squared.

Comment

Holy poop deck! What an amazing concept. I missed the article in May and am so glad it appears here in an updated form, no less. Really have to give it to the Imagineers for their ability to think "outside of the box". Blue Sky indeed. Had my mind spinning with the possibilities, and limitations. Disneyland Park is now suffering from having too many people in too small a space. Disneyland "grew" into that situation over the course of 50+ years. A floating Disneyland would have those "massive crowds and limited space" conditions on opening day. We all know it would have been a success and most of us would have found a way to visit (or it would come to visit us, if we were on a coast!) but the cramped (yes, even on a super tanker) conditions would ultimately be a negative point in the "guest's overall experience" column. As great of a concept that this project was and I have to give kudos to the team that thought and partially developed this project, I also have to recognize that this was also a very constraining idea as well. Boxy compartments inside to allow for the eventual changeout of internal attractions. Salty conditions producing more accellerated wear and tear on the exposed attractions. Different safety standards and ride maintenance requirements at every stop. A flotilla of support vessels. Having supplies and an electrical source at every stop, not to mention a place to transfer the sewage. Areas large enough to dock a super tanker may have sewage transfer access but not in the amount that a floating theme park would produce. Enough "on land" space for the wide expanse of cars that will be parked at every stop. Legal nightmares galore when the first kid falls overboard etc. Exciting concept but the limitations seem to outweigh the possibilities. For every "plus" I could think of, there are numerous "minus's" that would keep overhead costs extremely high and guest satisfaction under a glass ceiling. Things like Fantasmic!, a parade, different lands, a castle, and state of the art ride development are all differentiate Disney parks from many of the "also rans" and these forms of entertainment would be near impossible to produce. Have to give ample space to the restaurants, bathrooms, snack stands, any kennel facilities, wheelchair accessibility, medical facilities, etc. So much concentrated on such a small footprint (I know, supertankers are HUGE. They're just not expandable if you need more surface area, and Disney parks ALWAYS end up expanding) but the infrastructure of having a floating park PLUS the infrastructure needed to maintain the ship itself seem very daunting to me. Much of a Disney parks operating income comes from it's hotel base. I see this as a huge limitation to this "park's" bottom line. I'm sure something could be worked out but at what cost? The whole project sinks or floats on it's ability to make a profit by the end of the day and I really don't think a floating park could live up to the amount of profit that Disney is used to to justify the fruition of this project. This is a project that, undoubdedly, will be looked at again and again as a "what could have been" that will spark ideas for the existing parks for years to come. That, my friends, is for greater minds than mine. Guess that's why I'm not an Imagineer...but I can dream.
                          Last edited by Crazee4mm; 12-01-2009, 02:28 PM. Reason: clarity
                          One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Comment

It's not to late to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazee4mm View Post
                              Holy poop deck! What an amazing concept. I missed the article in May and am so glad it appears here in an updated form, no less. Really have to give it to the Imagineers for their ability to think "outside of the box". Blue Sky indeed. Had my mind spinning with the possibilities, and limitations. Disneyland Park is now suffering from having too many people in too small a space. Disneyland "grew" into that situation over the course of 50+ years. A floating Disneyland would have those "massive crowds and limited space" conditions on opening day. We all know it would have been a success and most of us would have found a way to visit (or it would come to visit us, if we were on a coast!) but the cramped (yes, even on a super tanker) conditions would ultimately be a negative point in the "guest's overall experience" column. As great of a concept that this project was and I have to give kudos to the team that thought and partially developed this project, I also have to recognize that this was also a very constraining idea as well. Boxy compartments inside to allow for the eventual changeout of internal attractions. Salty conditions producing more accellerated wear and tear on the exposed attractions. Different safety standards and ride maintenance requirements at every stop. A flotilla of support vessels. Having supplies and an electrical source at every stop, not to mention a place to transfer the sewage. Areas large enough to dock a super tanker may have sewage transfer access but not in the amount that a floating theme park would produce. Enough "on land" space for the wide expanse of cars that will be parked at every stop. Legal nightmares galore when the first kid falls overboard etc. Exciting concept but the limitations seem to outweigh the possibilities. For every "plus" I could think of, there are numerous "minus's" that would keep overhead costs extremely high and guest satisfaction under a glass ceiling. Things like Fantasmic!, a parade, different lands, a castle, and state of the art ride development are all differentiate Disney parks from many of the "also rans" and these forms of entertainment would be near impossible to produce. Have to give ample space to the restaurants, bathrooms, snack stands, any kennel facilities, wheelchair accessibility, medical facilities, etc. So much concentrated on such a small footprint (I know, supertankers are HUGE. They're just not expandable if you need more surface area, and Disney parks ALWAYS end up expanding) but the infrastructure of having a floating park PLUS the infrastructure needed to maintain the ship itself seem very daunting to me. Much of a Disney parks operating income comes from it's hotel base. I see this as a huge limitation to this "park's" bottom line. I'm sure something could be worked out but at what cost? The whole project sinks or floats on it's ability to make a profit by the end of the day and I really don't think a floating park could live up to the amount of profit that Disney is used to to justify the fruition of this project. This is a project that, undoubdedly, will be looked at again and again as a "what could have been" that will spark ideas for the existing parks for years to come. That, my friends, is for greater minds than mine. Guess that's why I'm not an Imagineer...but I can dream.
                              Yes, I just read about this a few days ago, but as cool as this seems, I think the realities of it would have made it MUCH more difficult to pull off than practically anything else Disney has done before.

Having said that, I do wish they'd incorporate some more ride ideas into their cruise ships, even on a smaller scale, I think it would be cool. I do know they're adding a mini-coaster on one of the new ships they're building.
                              My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X