Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

'The Princess and The Frog' score snubbed by Oscars

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Princess and The Frog' score snubbed by Oscars

Yesterday The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences issued a ruling regarding the original score of The Princess and the Frog, making it ineligible for consideration for an Academy Award. The official statement is as follows:

After nominations ballots and reminder lists for the Original Score category were mailed to members of the Academy's Music Branch (on December 28), questions were raised regarding the eligibility of the score of "The Princess and the Frog."

On Monday, January 11, the Music Branch Executive Committee met to discuss the score's status. Based on the committee's interpretation of the rules, it was determined that the film is not eligible in the score category, though four songs from the movie remain eligible for consideration.

The relevant language is contained in Rule 16, Section II, Paragraph E: "...scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other preexisting music, diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs, or assembled from the music of more than one composer shall not be eligible".

The tabulators at PricewaterhouseCoopers have been instructed to disregard any votes cast for the Original Score of "The Princess and the Frog." The movie remains eligible in all other categories for which it qualified.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: 'The Princess and The Frog' score snubbed by Oscars

As I stated in the other thread, it's okay since he wouldn't get nominated anyway. The score wasn't original or impressive enough. It was suitable for the film but didn't come across as really impressive or really taking the film to new heights.

When I think of great animated scores, I think of anything Michael Giacchino has done for Pixar.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
      As I stated in the other thread, it's okay since he wouldn't get nominated anyway. The score wasn't original or impressive enough. It was suitable for the film but didn't come across as really impressive or really taking the film to new heights.

When I think of great animated scores, I think of anything Michael Giacchino has done for Pixar.
      had no idea that the songs was not original. that said, you never know one of the songs could have possibly been nominated. non of the songs can match up to songs like |color of the wind| or |under the sea|
      "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

Comment

rob3gd -- the songs are still eligible. Only the score was disqualified.
        "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
        --John Lasseter

Comment

Wait, what wasn't original? What songs did he use? I can hear the themes of "Almost There" or "Ma Belle Evangeline" in the score, but that can't be against the rules? They're from the movie!
          -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

It's even odder to be disqualified due in part to previous Disney successes:

It was the only musical left on the list, with the scores for "Nine" and "Where the Wild Things Are" already declared ineligible and the score for "Crazy Heart" not even entered for the same reason.

Sources suggested that "Princess" score having remained on the list was probably an oversight, since the rule itself was created in the 1990s as a result of a series of Disney animated musicals (among them "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast") winning in the score category traditionally occupied by dramatic scores, not musicals.

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1109...post1055755233
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by wumbology View Post
              Wait, what wasn't original? What songs did he use? I can hear the themes of "Almost There" or "Ma Belle Evangeline" in the score, but that can't be against the rules? They're from the movie!

To clarify, the original score is not eligible because it's written for a musical.

When I say he wouldn't win it anyway because the score wasn't original enough, I simply implied that it wasn't that great.... or at leas as great as it could have been.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Doopey1 View Post
                rob3gd -- the songs are still eligible. Only the score was disqualified.
                Beats me, im not used to all this score stuff. im really confused between the difference.
                "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

Comment

AMPAS Rule Sixteen: Music Awards
                  1. CATEGORIES
                  Original Score: An original score is a substantial body of music that serves as original dramatic underscoring and is written specifically for the motion picture by the submitting composer.

Original Song: An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the motion picture or as the first music cue in the end credits.

Original Musical: An original musical consists of not fewer than five original songs (as defined in Paragraph I.B above) by the same writer or team of writers either used as voiceovers or visually performed. Each of these songs must be substantively rendered, clearly audible, intelligible, and must further the storyline of the motion picture. An arbitrary group of songs unessential to the storyline will not be considered eligible.
                  1. ELIGIBILITY
                    1. prior to any other usage, including public performance or exploitation through any media whatsoever.
                  Music Awards | Rules for the 82nd Academy Awards | Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences
                  "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the music as much as I wanted to be...

I know, it is going against here, but I just am calling it as I see it.
                    Check out my other blog:

Comment

"The work must be recorded for use in the motion picture prior to any other usage, including public performance or exploitation through any media whatsoever."

This implies the problem is use of the music prior to the film's release (I'm assuming perhaps in Tiana's Showboat Jubilee). This would make the score not specifically purposed for the film first and foremost.

Is this the problem? Would someone clarify if this is the specific reason for disqualification?
                      sigpic

Comment

"The Princess and the Frog" wasn't snubbed so much as it was disqualified on a technicality. Parts of Randy Newman's score are based on existing songs written by various composers including jazz legend King Oliver and Rock/Blues artist Leon Russell. It's not an original collection of music, so it's not eligible for Oscar consideration.
                        Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by disneytim View Post
                          "The Princess and the Frog" wasn't snubbed so much as it was disqualified on a technicality. Parts of Randy Newman's score are based on existing songs written by various composers including jazz legend King Oliver and Rock/Blues artist Leon Russell. It's not an original collection of music, so it's not eligible for Oscar consideration.
                          thank you. that's what i call a clear explanation

Comment

I am a little annoyed by this, but after reading what other people have posted, I can now see why this wasn't nominated for orignal score.

I just hope one of the song's get nominated.

Timekeeper
                            sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                            Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X