• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.D. Salinger Passed Away.

I loved Catcher In The Rye.

Author J.D. Salinger dead at 91 - CNN.com

Re: J.D. Salinger Passed Away.

R.I.P..When I first the first paragraph of the book in High School..I knew that this book was a masterpiece..he really touched on things that back then I was going through as a teenager..May he rest in peace
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Comment

Catcher in the Rye. One of my favorite books.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Ok, I never understood the hype behind Catcher in the Rye. But, it's sad to see such a writing legend pass away. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
          Ok, I never understood the hype behind Catcher in the Rye. But, it's sad to see such a writing legend pass away. RIP
          There is no hype. I just love that book for some reason.

Comment

Let me rephrase...I don't understand why the book became a classic. I also don't understand that with The Great Gatsby. Neither book seemed on the level of say, Pride and Prejudice. And neither seemed to really have a story.

The only redeeming quality I found in Catcher in the Rye, is that the main character very much reminded me of a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
              Let me rephrase...I don't understand why the book became a classic. I also don't understand that with The Great Gatsby. Neither book seemed on the level of say, Pride and Prejudice. And neither seemed to really have a story.

The only redeeming quality I found in Catcher in the Rye, is that the main character very much reminded me of a friend.

Products of their time. There are certain things that we'll never fully understand or appreciate and there are a great deal of books I was forced to read that I absolutely hated... The Great Gatsby being one of them. Though I am curious if I'd change my mind if I read it again now.

Catcher in the Rye for me and MOST of my guy friends... we just got a kick out of reading it. It was lighter, it was easy to identify with, and it was just.. there's something about it.

Comment

oh, maybe that's what it is....maybe it's easy to identify with the main character. That would explain it.

Now, if someone would just explain the Great Gatsby to me. LOL

Comment

Yeah, I think Holden (main character) is pretty identifiable. I'm glad it's a classic.

JD Salinger, you will be missed!

sigpic

Comment

2009, I moved to a phase in my life. I had long considered myself as a writer, penning journals, articles and short tales. But, in this past year, I wrote a novel and considered a new title for myself--

--an author.

However, I am a product of my education, street and academic. And to not give credit to those penmen and penwomen who formed that creative part of my brain, is to not fully understand my craft. JD Salinger was a big chunk of my authorship development--I could only dream to have my book(s) banned or argued over. How I wish people's jaws would drop when they figured this everyman could make a story worthwhile.

But moreso, I could only write a story that has such depth and complexity.

So cheers to you, JD, my teacher.

Peace as well,
                    Roo
                    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Stitchy, I am with you. I found the main character so hard to relate to. He was just so lame lol I hated it too.

RIP to J.D. though.
                      Good morning, son
                      In twenty years from now
                      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                      And I can tell you 'bout today
                      And how I picked you up and everything changed
                      It was pain
                      Sunny days and rain
                      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Why are the Harry Potter books so loved or now...Twilight???? I don't get those either.
                        Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                        Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                          Products of their time. There are certain things that we'll never fully understand or appreciate and there are a great deal of books I was forced to read that I absolutely hated... The Great Gatsby being one of them. Though I am curious if I'd change my mind if I read it again now.

Catcher in the Rye for me and MOST of my guy friends... we just got a kick out of reading it. It was lighter, it was easy to identify with, and it was just.. there's something about it.
                          catcher in the rye was alright, not a bad book when you're being forced to read it, but the great gatsby totally ruined my english grade. i would however read it again so i actually know what's going on
                          Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                          You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                          Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                            Why are the Harry Potter books so loved or now...Twilight???? I don't get those either.
                            well harry potter i think it's once you read and understand and can imagine the first chapter, then you're glued to that book. according to my philosophy cause i only read books 2, 3, and 6. i know weird.

twilight, basically it's the forbidden love. girls love the entertainment of someone wanting to love someone that they can't have. ok that's not the best explanation, maybe an actual twilight fan can tell you
                            Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                            You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                            Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X