Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

    Last October the non-profit group "The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood" forced Disney to issue refunds to everyone who had bought a Baby Einstein video. But that victory has come with a price. The New York Times is reporting that the group has just been evicted from thier offices in Boston, where they have been over 10 years. The reason for the eviction? The group is saying that Disney caused it.

    For more info about this story, please go to : After Victory Against Disney, Children?s Group Loses Its Lease - NYTimes.com
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

  • #2
    Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

    thats kinda of sad to hear about this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

      Yay Disney always thinking of people before profit.
      Happy Halloween!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

        The story is a little more nuanced, and it seems somewhat of a stretch to lay the blame at Disney's feet. Read this post at Newsweek.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

          Ok, can someone tell me what is wrong with the Baby Einstein videos that they would make such a big deal about?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

            Disney made educational claims about them that were not backed up by any scientific evidence. That's false advertising.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

              OH no Disney mad educational claims thats not backed by science. Big deal don't all company's do that all the time.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

                Originally posted by DLPfan1992 View Post
                OH no Disney mad educational claims thats not backed by science. Big deal don't all company's do that all the time.
                With at least six mistakes in two short sentences, maybe you should be more concerned with education.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

                  Originally posted by Goofus View Post
                  The story is a little more nuanced, and it seems somewhat of a stretch to lay the blame at Disney's feet. Read this post at Newsweek.
                  I didn't really see any evidence that Disney was to blame for the eviction. Are the videos "really" that "harmful" compared to what????

                  I ain't buying any of it.
                  Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



                  Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                  Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

                    Originally posted by indianajack View Post
                    Disney made educational claims about them that were not backed up by any scientific evidence. That's false advertising.
                    People know its all BS. I doubt anyone really bought them to "educate" babies.
                    Come ON People!!! Is Sesame Street "educational" because they repeat the number 5 over and over in one show? I doubt it.
                    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



                    Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

                      Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                      People know its all BS. I doubt anyone really bought them to "educate" babies.
                      Come ON People!!! Is Sesame Street "educational" because they repeat the number 5 over and over in one show? I doubt it.

                      Believe it or not, repetition and reinforcement does increase cognitive development, especially in the first five years. Bear in mind I'm talking about repetition and reinforcement of things appropriate for their developmental stage, not the Your Baby Can Read or the 'geniuses' who know all 50 state capitals or the presidents in order.
                      Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

                        Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                        People know its all BS. I doubt anyone really bought them to "educate" babies. . .
                        Yeah, I saw a New Yorker cartoon of a mother in a children's store asking, "Do you have any educational videos that are 90 minutes long?" It's cheap, guilt-free baby sitting. Though one educational videos for toddlers did teach her the alphabet when she was a toddler, she seemed to forget it after she went a while without watching it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

                          Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                          Yeah, I saw a New Yorker cartoon of a mother in a children's store asking, "Do you have any educational videos that are 90 minutes long?" It's cheap, guilt-free baby sitting. Though one educational videos for toddlers did teach her the alphabet when she was a toddler, she seemed to forget it after she went a while without watching it.
                          that stuff is just parroting. It's not likely the child comprehends the information they repeat.
                          Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

                              Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                              People know its all BS. I doubt anyone really bought them to "educate" babies.
                              Come ON People!!! Is Sesame Street "educational" because they repeat the number 5 over and over in one show? I doubt it.

                              I think people bought the videos because they bought the premise - that the videos could indeed educate their children. Similar assumptions have kept Sesame Street afloat for years, so it appears that Disney tried to get in on the deal. And it blew up in its face. *shrug*

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X