This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

Last October the non-profit group "The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood" forced Disney to issue refunds to everyone who had bought a Baby Einstein video. But that victory has come with a price. The New York Times is reporting that the group has just been evicted from thier offices in Boston, where they have been over 10 years. The reason for the eviction? The group is saying that Disney caused it.

For more info about this story, please go to : After Victory Against Disney, Children?s Group Loses Its Lease - NYTimes.com
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: You mess with The Mouse, You lose your House

thats kinda of sad to hear about this.

Comment

Yay Disney always thinking of people before profit.
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

The story is a little more nuanced, and it seems somewhat of a stretch to lay the blame at Disney's feet. Read this post at Newsweek.

Comment

Ok, can someone tell me what is wrong with the Baby Einstein videos that they would make such a big deal about?

Comment

Disney made educational claims about them that were not backed up by any scientific evidence. That's false advertising.

Comment

OH no Disney mad educational claims thats not backed by science. Big deal don't all company's do that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DLPfan1992 View Post
                OH no Disney mad educational claims thats not backed by science. Big deal don't all company's do that all the time.
                With at least six mistakes in two short sentences, maybe you should be more concerned with education.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofus View Post
                  The story is a little more nuanced, and it seems somewhat of a stretch to lay the blame at Disney's feet. Read this post at Newsweek.
                  I didn't really see any evidence that Disney was to blame for the eviction. Are the videos "really" that "harmful" compared to what????

I ain't buying any of it.
                  Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                  Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by indianajack View Post
                    Disney made educational claims about them that were not backed up by any scientific evidence. That's false advertising.
                    People know its all BS. I doubt anyone really bought them to "educate" babies.
                    Come ON People!!! Is Sesame Street "educational" because they repeat the number 5 over and over in one show? I doubt it.
                    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                      Come ON People!!! Is Sesame Street "educational" because they repeat the number 5 over and over in one show? I doubt it.

Believe it or not, repetition and reinforcement does increase cognitive development, especially in the first five years. Bear in mind I'm talking about repetition and reinforcement of things appropriate for their developmental stage, not the Your Baby Can Read or the 'geniuses' who know all 50 state capitals or the presidents in order.
                      Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Comment

People know its all BS. I doubt anyone really bought them to "educate" babies. . .
                        Yeah, I saw a New Yorker cartoon of a mother in a children's store asking, "Do you have any educational videos that are 90 minutes long?" It's cheap, guilt-free baby sitting. Though one educational videos for toddlers did teach her the alphabet when she was a toddler, she seemed to forget it after she went a while without watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                          Yeah, I saw a New Yorker cartoon of a mother in a children's store asking, "Do you have any educational videos that are 90 minutes long?" It's cheap, guilt-free baby sitting. Though one educational videos for toddlers did teach her the alphabet when she was a toddler, she seemed to forget it after she went a while without watching it.
                          that stuff is just parroting. It's not likely the child comprehends the information they repeat.
                          Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Comment

Comment

I think people bought the videos because they bought the premise - that the videos could indeed educate their children. Similar assumptions have kept Sesame Street afloat for years, so it appears that Disney tried to get in on the deal. And it blew up in its face. *shrug*

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X