X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doodle Duck
    replied
    Reading this entire thread was very enlightening...being one of 'those' who just thought Stich was an Ugly little bugger and didn't understand the merchandising flood of Stich character items...now I can see why there is so much of the little creep on the shelves...people actually like him!

And to think, it all began with Mick Jagger! (No one was allowed to be ugly before he made it ok. :monkey: )

OK...I accept your being enamored with the sharp toothed little voodoo doll from space...pardon me if I stick with Thumper as a Disney icon...but at least now I get it! I though the Diz was just 'pushing' the Stich-bilia on people who didn't know better. My bad.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• DisquietingMetamorphosis
    replied
    I love Lilo and Stitch. I think everyone knows what its like to be the underdog or the outcast, and Disney's portrayal of this struggle identifies with a lot of people without resorting to the usual formula. As the bad boy of the Classic Disney Family, Stitch broke the mold. However, it remains to be seen whether or not Disney has enough guts to leave classic Disney behind for hip and story-rich movies with sincere and accessible characters. Are future Disney animated films willing to stray from the formula and walk the Pixar plot path?

Now here's an anomaly:
    Disney films were arguably on the decline since The Lion King until Lilo and Stitch became one of Disney's highest grossing animated movies in years. After that, Pixar spat out a couple winners and Disney closed up quite a few animation studios. Disney's excuse for the closures was that animated films don't make as much as CGI films in today's world. :confused:

Leave a comment:

• monorail_rider
    replied
    When the movie first came out I saw it and though it was cute. Not one I wanted to own, but still cute.

But since Disney is going over kill with Stitch crap it has made me hate Stitch.

Leave a comment:

• yensid98
    replied
    I've loved LILO & STITCH from the first time I saw it. The beautiful watercolor backgrounds, the true to life sister relationship, the believability of Lilo and the wckiness of Stitch. Sure it has it's share of problems (mainly in the third act), but I forvgive it them since the characters are so entertaining and endearing. Also I adore the two Hawiian songs. I wish they had recorded more songs for a full CD of their music. No slight against the King there. His music is a perfect for this movie and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I must admit though that the trailers I saw didn't make me think I would like this move. I was very scared with that Disney's attempt to do something different and off-beat had gone too far. But boy was I wrong. Just a sublime movie. The love the creators have of the characters, story and locations is impossible to ignore. Of all Disney's animated films since Mermaid in 1989, the characters of Lilo, Stitch and Nani are the dearest to my heart. Well right behind Pocahontas anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Reaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Disneyphile
    This just furthers my opinion that parents need to actually watch programs with their children, rather than using TV and movies as an "electronic babysitter".
    True words! I wish more parents saw it that way...

"Somebody has to kill the babysitter!" Jim Carrey, "The Cable Guy"

Leave a comment:

• Disneyphile
    replied
    Originally posted by Nephythys
    Stich didn't kill anyone- you saw the guard alive and well in the original theatrical release.
    Exactly. Also, we're talking laser guns here, and not real guns like AK-47's. I'd be more concerned over the fact that Stitch spit on the guard in order to turn the "DNA-tracking" lasers onto the guard. Heck, that can teach a kid bad manners, like spitting on people.

It's not any more violent than seeing Donald Duck's house being blown apart with dynamite in a certain Chip n' Dale cartoon, or Mickey "cranking" the tail of a goat in "Steamboat Willie".

This just furthers my opinion that parents need to actually watch programs with their children, rather than using TV and movies as an "electronic babysitter".

Leave a comment:

• Reaver
    replied
    Violent? I don't really agree with you there. Intense, maybe. Action-oriented at times. But I didn't see it as violent at all. Compared to some other Disney films like Lion King, Mulan it seems right on par. Of course, I didn't see it with little ones, and I know that changes one's perpective a bit...

Leave a comment:

• Nephythys
    replied
    Originally posted by Schmoogie
    Lilo & Stitch is a mixed bag for me...

The songs catch your heart and will tug out a tear or two. The animation was beautiful. And I thought that the relationship between the sisters was amazing. Disney bravely stepped forward to take a look at the intricasies of family ties and there were some great insights into the human condition.

That said...

This is a very violent movie. I know, I know... I could hear you rolling your eyes through my monitor.

I saw this film with some young children though, and when you view this movie sitting next to innocence and her sister, it becomes very uncomfortable. There is an edit on the VHS that I don't remember in the movie in which Stitch causes a gun to fire at a guard. In the movie, my memory was that the guard died. It aimed at him. You heard the gun going off. End of story. And I'm trying to figure out how to explain to these terrified small children Stitch... killed... someone... On the VHS, there is an edit that shows the guard crawling away. I might have been distracted and missed it the first time, but it is a grumble I've been carrying around about that movie for awhile.

I was also bothered by the pandering to the anicipated "Star Wars" fever Hollywood thought would be going on at this time. I'm a bit of a purist, though, in that I don't think Disney should be following a "trend". I think Disney should be setting the trends. That's just me though.

So bottom line, if you are an adult, you will probably enjoy it. If you have older kids, they probably would enjoy it. If you have boys, they probably will enjoy it. But watch out with the little ones.

Stich didn't kill anyone- you saw the guard alive and well in the original theatrical release.

Leave a comment:

• sorceress1986
    replied
    Believe me, I have been sceptical about Disney movies of late, but this one is definitely one of the few better ones. It is very much in the vein of old Disney movies while adding a little bit of an update edge without remaking anything...I love it

Leave a comment:

• Schmoogie
    replied
    More thoughts

Lilo & Stitch is a mixed bag for me...

The songs catch your heart and will tug out a tear or two. The animation was beautiful. And I thought that the relationship between the sisters was amazing. Disney bravely stepped forward to take a look at the intricasies of family ties and there were some great insights into the human condition.

That said...

This is a very violent movie. I know, I know... I could hear you rolling your eyes through my monitor.

I saw this film with some young children though, and when you view this movie sitting next to innocence and her sister, it becomes very uncomfortable. There is an edit on the VHS that I don't remember in the movie in which Stitch causes a gun to fire at a guard. In the movie, my memory was that the guard died. It aimed at him. You heard the gun going off. End of story. And I'm trying to figure out how to explain to these terrified small children Stitch... killed... someone... On the VHS, there is an edit that shows the guard crawling away. I might have been distracted and missed it the first time, but it is a grumble I've been carrying around about that movie for awhile.

I was also bothered by the pandering to the anicipated "Star Wars" fever Hollywood thought would be going on at this time. I'm a bit of a purist, though, in that I don't think Disney should be following a "trend". I think Disney should be setting the trends. That's just me though.

So bottom line, if you are an adult, you will probably enjoy it. If you have older kids, they probably would enjoy it. If you have boys, they probably will enjoy it. But watch out with the little ones.

Leave a comment:

• AmandasDad
    replied
    I personally think it is better than the Lion King. There is a character depth in L&S that I did not catch in Lion King. From the "playing dolls" scene previously mentioned to Nani chewing out Jumba and Pleakly near the end "Lilo! She's about this tall and she hangs out with that THING!" there is are displays of emotion in that LC does not show. The animation really gets this across. And the art is lovely.

And they also have some of the little things that add to the film but not directly to the story line. Many other films (animated and not) just concentrate on the plot line but do not take the time to flesh the story out.

Leave a comment:

• Reaver
    replied
    Lilo & Stitch Update

Re-posted. In it's own thread...
    Last edited by Reaver; 03-04-2005, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alchimedes
    replied
    Originally posted by Jazzman
    Oh, and Elvis will never die. His music is immortal.

Long live the King!!

Thank Youuu Very Much!!

Leave a comment:

• Mousekiteer
    replied
    It was cute, entertaining and amusing. Not exactly great but if you wanted something to cheer you up and give you the fluffy feeling, this is your movie.

I LOVE the style mostly. I think the huge noses were awesome. Everything was so round to the point I wanted to squeeze the characters to death. Very inviting.

Leave a comment:

• Sam the iPod
    replied
    Originally posted by Disneyphile
    There's a Stitch big fig???? OMG...... add that to my "must haves"!!!!
    Yes ma'am! I saw it on eBay, sent the link to my boyfriend and asked if I could have it, to which he called me and said that it'd be coming into the store again (he works at DLR). He quoted me a figure for both and I told him to hold it as soon as they got back in because they were MINE! Check eBay for an image, the figs match. Disney Auctions also had a big fig of Stitch that my friend drew for me: Stitch wearing a Hawaiian shirt, with a lei and sipping a drink through a straw in a coconut. Very cute; wish I could have afforded it!

Leave a comment:

• dsnylndmom
    replied
    :bow: :bow: :bow:
    GREAT POST!!!
    Originally posted by Jazzman
    Exactly. If there is any question about Lilo's brattiness then one only needs to watch the scene outside of the dance class a few times to really get a sense of who she is and what she's going through.

Spoiler
    You can clearly see her desperation at wanting to fit in (asking the girls if they're going to play dolls), her futile yet heartfelt attempt to fit in (showing them the doll she made), her heartbreak and frustration at not fitting in (throwing the doll on the ground and running away after being laughed at), and then the sincerity and depth of her heart and emotions (running back to scoop up the doll and clutching it tightly to herself).

It's scenes such as this one, that simultaneously cause you to laugh and feel a tugging at your heart, that make this film so incredible and, if you're open to them, fall in love with the characters populating the story.

Leave a comment:

• Jazzman
    replied
    Originally posted by invader pearl
    I disagree with Soulquarian about Lilo being bratty, in the sense that I interpreted his statement to be simply that she's bratty for no reason (I could be wrong). She lost her parents at a young age and her sister is struggling to be a sister and parental figure to her. Lilo is a mixture of childish and adult characteristics. I think that maybe I liked her a lot not only because she was drawn cutely, but there's a loneliness and isolation in her. She tries to fit in with the majority but winds up kind of freakish to them. That's how I felt all through my school years.
    Exactly. If there is any question about Lilo's brattiness then one only needs to watch the scene outside of the dance class a few times to really get a sense of who she is and what she's going through.

Spoiler
    You can clearly see her desperation at wanting to fit in (asking the girls if they're going to play dolls), her futile yet heartfelt attempt to fit in (showing them the doll she made), her heartbreak and frustration at not fitting in (throwing the doll on the ground and running away after being laughed at), and then the sincerity and depth of her heart and emotions (running back to scoop up the doll and clutching it tightly to herself).

It's scenes such as this one, that simultaneously cause you to laugh and feel a tugging at your heart, that make this film so incredible and, if you're open to them, fall in love with the characters populating the story.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyphile
    replied
    There's a Stitch big fig???? OMG...... add that to my "must haves"!!!!

(And, how the heck did Sephora invade a Stitch thread? )

Oh, and you folks should see the new Stitch Easter stuff at The Disney Store. Ken bought me a small glass egg plate with a cute Stitch on it, cuddling a frog. And, I also got the Stitch plush with him cuddling a ducky. TOO cute (and fluffy)!

Leave a comment:

• Sam the iPod
    replied
    The Emperor's New Groove: another one of my recent favorites. The humor in this movie is dry and witty, at least in my opinion. I thought it was a fun story, despite reading crushing reviews.

Reaver: Don't feel bad about the big figs. I myself am planning to buy them! I prefer Lilo over Stitch, which makes collecting stuff with her on it a bit difficult so when I read that a Lilo big fig was coming out I demanded my boyfriend keep an eye out for it. Sure enough, it came in! (I thought it was going to hear about it at WDW first.) And then I saw the Stitch one on eBay. Luckily he says they'll have both. I have absolutely no room in my bedroom for it, so it's going to be stored somewhere in my house. I just like the idea of knowing they're mine! Hope you enjoy the movie!

Leave a comment:

• Gemini Cricket
    replied
    Here's a weird six degrees of separation thing about L&S.

My older sister went to grade school with Jason Scott Lee and high school with Tia Carrere (she was known as Althea Genero back then). I also met Tia Carrere and she signed a photo for me.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X