Banned User
    • Oct 2008

Gnomeo & Juliet

YouTube - Gnomeo and Juliet Trailer 2010 HD
  • Barbossa
    Infinitized!
    • Jan 2005

Re: Gnomeo & Juliet

Looks alright, but, why are they releasing it under the Touchstone label? Is there some more mature jokes in there or something?

I guess this is the first animated movie under the Touchstone label since The Nightmare Before Christmas, well, that is before it migrated under the Disney label.

The Tiki Room reference is great, but it seems they're making more fun of the Disneyland Hotel's defunct Fantasy Waters show.

Comment

• Aladdin
      Prince Ali
      • Jan 2005

Here's some of the history from Wiki (take it for what it's worth):

The film is the original idea of Rob Sprackling and John Smith who sold the spec script to Disney through Rocket Pictures. Initially, the film was going to be produced by Disney Feature Animation, but was shut down by its new chief, John Lasseter, after the Pixar acquisition. Miramax Films picked up the project and guided its production until the division closed down. The film will now be released under the Touchstone Pictures banner on February 11, 2011.
      Oh, here is a little more detailed info:

Gnomeo and Juliet's Disney Production History
      Rocket Pictures had originally pitched this "loose and edgy" adaptation for Walt Disney Feature Animation sometime in early 2000. However, when Pixar co-founders John Lasseter and Ed Catmull took over the leadership role at Disney Animation in May of 2006, they took one look at the script and promptly consigned it to the circular filing system.

Unfortunately for Miramax and Battsek, the studio's recent output was less-than-stellar: with occasional hits like No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood overshadowed by bombs like Everybody's Fine, Blindness and Smart People.
      On October 3, 2009, Disney announced that they were slashing Miramax's film schedule to 3 films per year and that the studio's operations were being folded into Disney's Burbank offices. Disney also announced that Battsek was resigning as Miramax president, effective as of January of 2010. He then shifted companies to become President of National Geographic Films, starting in March of 2010.
      source: Disney Still Producing Gnomeo and Juliet?: Elton John's Rocket Pictures Film Stars James McAvoy, Emily Blunt

hahahaha, doesn't look like anyone wants to take credit for this movie.

I'm really not impressed by the Disney Jokes in the film clips. This looks a lot more Shrekish than Tangled. Quite frankly, I don't have high hopes for this thing. And it looks like Disney is trying to keep a generous amount distance from this movie. A little surprised that it was even mentioned on Jeff's video last week. I wonder if DL might temporarily replace tink and friends with the trolls from this movie next spring?!?!?!?! (probably not )

The last thing Disney needs is to be associated with another movie the likes of WW2 pigeons, or a movie about a couple of Bollywood Dogs.
      Last edited by Aladdin; 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM.
      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• pineapplewhipaddict
        DoleWhipDrea
        • Apr 2005

It looks kinda entertaining...not sure if I'll come to theaters to see it, though.

Comment

• Hathaway Browne
          MiceChatter
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
          Looks alright, but, why are they releasing it under the Touchstone label? Is there some more mature jokes in there or something?
          The Gnome in the Mankini sort of hinted at that for me!
          sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
          Walt Disney

Comment

• Barbossa
            Infinitized!
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
            The Gnome in the Mankini sort of hinted at that for me!
            Borat the Gnome.

Comment

• royaldisneyfan
              KC to DL= 1,640 miles
              • Jun 2007

I'm sorry, but this was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Not impressed with Gnomeo and Juliet...at all.
              sigpic
              Home away from Home.

Comment

• Flickering Bulb
                keh!
                • Jul 2005

i actually thought parts of that trailer were funny, which is strange for me. usually when trailers give off the sort of vibe this one did, i dismiss it, but i liked what i saw, lol. chances are it may suck, but i'm not gonna run to theaters to see it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X