Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Favorite NON-Disney Animated Films

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mousekiteer
    started a topic Favorite NON-Disney Animated Films

Favorite NON-Disney Animated Films

Ok, let's face it: We're aware of other animated movies out there that aren't from Disney or even related to the company. Almost shocking, isn't it? We've already come to know some of each other's tastes in the different Disney features. So, as I am curious to know, what are your favorites and least honored? In film, in story, in animation, in music or even the characters. Why? Inquiring minds want to know!

As far as rules go, no Pixar and none of eligible Touchstone movies such as Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Anime (no television series, please), foreign mentions and short films are welcome.

I'll go first.

Favorites: The Swan Princess, Anastasia, The Tripletts of Belleville, Adolescence of Utena, The Iron Giant, The Last Unicorn

So, So: Thumbelina, Cats Don't Dance, The Road to El Dorado, Fern Gully, Once Upon A Forest, The Prince of Egypt

I think what has especially caught my attention towards Swan Princess and Anastasia is because of the music. Not to mention, both movies had some sort of sinister man who had powers. I'm a sucker for the romance mainly especially in Swan Princess that even stole the dancing on the clouds Disney cliche. Of course, Anastasia had that Haunted Mansion reference but she was just spunky. I liked that.

I just saw Triplets of Belleville (French) recently and it was utterly cool in my opinion. There was barely any dialogue from the main characters, the style was something I had never seen and the soundtrack was definetly a plus. Adolescence of Utena (anime) was a lot different from both manga and television ancestors. There was eye candy, symbolism, metaphors and dare I say, innuendo.

Then there's Iron Giant which has utterly stuck a great impact every time I watch it. Believe me when I say when they had that marathon on Cartoon Network, I was watching it the whole day. Very nostalgic and an absolute classic. Brad Bird at his best!

As for the other movies, I do like them it's just that they haven't stuck with me as much. Thumbelina creeps me out a few times even though I do like a few songs, which were written by Barry Manilow. I only remember Cats Don't Dance for the music. Road to El Dorado wasn't exactly great but I liked it because I had this crush on Tulio for a while, but I did admire the style. Also considering the fact that the whole Miguel and Tulio relationship was questionable at times... but in a good manner . Prince of Egypt, though inspirational with a wonderful score always made me sad. Other wise, I would've hated Once Upon A Forest if it weren't for the fact that Michael Crawford lent this voice for the movie. Can't leave behind the original Phantom, now.
    Last edited by Mousekiteer; 03-04-2005, 09:16 PM.

• Cuzco-topia
    replied
    American Tail is the absolute best. (I still get teary eyed to this day)

All dogs go to heaven was fun, too. (chaaahhhlieeee)

Leave a comment:

• yensid98
    replied
    Some of my favorites:

- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    - Millennium Actress
    - The Transformers: The Movie
    - South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
    - The Iron Giant
    Last edited by yensid98; 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PirateMunkee
    replied
    Originally posted by Mousekiteer
    I think you meant Neon Genesis Evangelion, my dear.
    The series was great. The movies were morbid... especially End of Evangelion and their hidden frames such as Asuka decomposing as maggots crawled around her orifices.

Ah! Wallace and Grommit! I love The Wrong Trousers!
    You're right. Neon not Neo. I'm bummed though. My sister told me to not watch any of the movies untill I'm done with the series. You just told me the end T

Leave a comment:

• Hector
    replied
    How could I forget W&G! Aardman does amazing work, and They deserve their Oscars. I can't wait for the Wallace and Gromit movie to come out later this year. If you go to www.aardman.com you can see some of their commercials and other short films that are great.

Leave a comment:

• Mousekiteer
    replied
    Originally posted by PirateMunkee
    Neo Genesis Evangelion (The Series)
    I think you meant Neon Genesis Evangelion, my dear.
    The series was great. The movies were morbid... especially End of Evangelion and their hidden frames such as Asuka decomposing as maggots crawled around her orifices.

Originally posted by cellarhound
    Wallace & Grommit's A Close Shave (worth mentioning even if it is claymation)
    Ah! Wallace and Grommit! I love The Wrong Trousers!

Leave a comment:

• Ortizmo2000
    replied
    Originally posted by PirateMunkee
    Weeeeeeelllll, Kyle's mom is a big fat bi***, the biggest bi*** in the whole wide world, the biggest bi*** if there ever was a bi***, a bi*** to all the boys and girls.
    On Monday she's a bi***, Tuesday she's a bi***, Wednesday through Saturday she's a bi***, on Sunday just to be different she becomes a King Kameya Meya Beeyoch.

Oh that film is just filled with proud anthems, isn't it? :bow:

Leave a comment:

• PirateMunkee
    replied
    Originally posted by Emelius_Browne
    SP is also a wonderful musical.
    Weeeeeeelllll, Kyle's mom is a big fat bi***, the biggest bi*** in the whole wide world, the biggest bi*** if there ever was a bi***, a bi*** to all the boys and girls.
    On Monday she's a bi***, Tuesday she's a bi***, Wednesday through Saturday she's a bi***, on Sunday just to be different she becomes a King Kameya Meya Beeyoch.

Leave a comment:

• PirateMunkee
    replied
    South Park
    Heavy Metal
    Akira
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (The Series)
    American Pop
    Yellow Submarine
    Prince of Egypt
    Last edited by PirateMunkee; 03-06-2005, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• disneyland dude
    replied
    mine are Ice Age and The Road to El Dorado

Leave a comment:

• cellarhound
    replied
    These are great lists... There are a few other obscure titals that would be added to my list:

Wizards (cult classic antiwar film, mostly for adults)
    The Phantom Tollbooth (Chuck Jones, need I say more?)
    Wallace & Grommit's A Close Shave (worth mentioning even if it is claymation)
    A Wish for Wings That Work (Berkeley Breathed's first "Made for TV" attempt)

Leave a comment:

• Aladdin
    replied
    !. Anastasia

2. Prince of Egypt

3. Road to El Dorado

4. Shrek

Leave a comment:

• Tinker Bell
    replied
    Prince of Egypt

Leave a comment:

• Hector
    replied
    Anything Studio Ghibli that I've seen so far (Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave of the Fireflies, and My Neighbor Totoro with many more on the way) Titan A.E., Prince of Egypt, The Secret of NIMH, and South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut.

That's all I can think of for now.

Leave a comment:

• desertdweller
    replied
    Just in the past two years there have been two stand out films for me. Sprited Away and Triplets of Belleville. Of course there are others from years past.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X