Great article about the 3D scam being perpetrated by the studios!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sir clinksalot
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2005

Great article about the 3D scam being perpetrated by the studios!!!

Stop being duped by the 3D scam | TechRepublic

So what do you all think? A fan of 3D? Think it's really "innovative"?

Personally, I avoid 3D movies at all costs hoping that someday soon more people will stop paying the extra $$ for a worse movie experience.

• Barbossa
    Infinitized!
    • Jan 2005

Re: Great article about the 3D scam being perpetrated by the studios!!!

And this is... new? I already found out that the colours in 3D aren't as good way back in 1986 when I saw my first 3D IMAX movie at Expo 86 in Vancouver. The novelty is ok, as long as they give us the option of seeing a movie in 2D as well.

Comment

• JoFu
      New MiceChatter
      • Jan 2009

I like 3D, personally. Yes the colors are less intense and it's overall less sharp, but you're trading that off for 3D ... The mist screens in WoC or F! aren't as clear as traditional projections on flat surfaces either, but it's an experience thing. I certainly don't think it's a scam anymore than charging more for any different experience is.

Comment

• flynnibus
        MiceChatter
        • Jun 2006

Maybe the guy should be slamming the implementation of 3D vs 3D itself.

I get that the studios wanted something to bring people back to the theatre instead of the couch. That's fine.

Paying more for it? Ok as an new and unique thing - not ok as an established thing.

I have zero interest in paying for it for home.
        I have zero interest in someone trying to do it on my 20-odd inch PC monitor.

If people want to give it away and its here if you want it.. fine. But I really get more tired of all the 3D hating instead of just 'speaking with your pocket book'.

I would get it if people only started showing 3D with it's negatives... but that's the beauty of the open market. If there is enough demand for non-3D someone will recognize it and capitalize on it... and balance will eventually be returned to the universe
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• Barbossa
          Infinitized!
          • Jan 2005

Johnny can't watch movies in 3D:
          Johnny Depp Can't Watch New 'Pirates Of The Caribbean': 'I'm Unable To See In 3-D' - Yahoo! Movies

Comment

• aashee
            Skeevy Ray Vaughan
            • Aug 2006

3D movies officially turn me off. If they aren't showing it in 2d, I won't see it.

Comment

• JMora
              Banned User
              • Oct 2008

So, does that mean he will be skipping the Disneyland premiere? LOL

Comment

• JMora
                Banned User
                • Oct 2008

It's really not the theaters, it's the film studios fault + for those wondering...

This film was filmed for...

the true IMAX 3D experience =) As was Pirates 4 (normal 3D anyway), the same CAN'T be said for these films...

Captain America
                Green Lantern
                Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
                Priest
                Spy Kids 4
                The Cabin in the Woods
                The Green Hornet
                The Smurfs
                Thor

Source: Is it Real or Fake 3D?

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                  Adventure First, Ad Last
                  • Mar 2006

Here is the thing I would AVOID every 3D movie if I could but Imax is ALWAYS in 3D so I have no choice but to see Potter in anything but 3D.....now for Cars 2, Thor, Captain America and Transformers I want them in 2D really could care less, if you want to go waste your money have at it.
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                    MiceChatter
                    • Feb 2005

Transformers 3 could be 10D and it wouldn't make it any better.

Comment

• JMora
                      Banned User
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                      Here is the thing I would AVOID every 3D movie if I could but Imax is ALWAYS in 3D so I have no choice but to see Potter in anything but 3D.....now for Cars 2, Thor, Captain America and Transformers I want them in 2D really could care less, if you want to go waste your money have at it.
                      If there was ever a movie for summer 2011 meant to give birth to a 3D experience? It's Transformers 3! For those people who were handicapped when they were kids and couldn't transform the toys back in da day, and needed to know how they transformed in Bay's eyes. What better way to show those inanimate people how... Not only how they function, transform but win a battle in a physical universe of 3D?

Transformers 3 was deliberately intended to be filmed in true IMAX 3D experience, just like Avatar was! Bay used not only PACE 3D Cameras but also new Arri Alexa cameras. Camera models that were used for Avatar but newer editions. No lie! As for Cars 2, boring. Who cares about cars going around a ring under a spy mission. The original film only made $461,983,149 world-wide (Cars (2006) - Box Office Mojo). It didn't even break the $300 mark in the U.S. alone! Out of all Pixar films, Cars was the most tedious film, ever! Give me Fast 5 any day! That film should had been in 3D!!!

As for Captain America, it's fake 3D, it was "converted." If Chris Evans was fully nude in the film, I would think twice about seeing it in fake-3D =) Same goes for Thor, I hated the comic book anyway.

All hats off for...

...what's not to like to see in 3D here? When you see Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in 3D, Bay has made an "exclusive" trailer to be attached with that film, and you will forget a film called Avatar =) Hell, James Cameron even visted Bay in post-production to see how well the new Arri Alexa cameras have become since the production of Avatar, and was impressed.

PS the Chicago war battle and the crashing building are not the MONEY SHOTS!
                      Last edited by JMora; 05-05-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                        Adventure First, Ad Last
                        • Mar 2006

^see the difference is Avatar was in a another World, Transformers in on Earth, If i want 3D I walk outside. Plus the way Bay does his action scenes there is already too much on the screen at once I don't need the 3D distracting me.

If you want 3D go see it, as long as I don't HAVE to see films in 3D They can stay around and help Thor and Captain America get some extra dough to make more Marvel Movies. I'm just not a fan of 3D after seeing Toy Story 3 in both 2D and then 3D....it added nothing for the price and the colors were more faded, just not my thing
                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2005

^^ Do you have some kind of investment in Transformers 3? Or you just like sequels to crappy movies?

But seriously, the only movie to "Wow" me on 3D was Avatar ... so much so I got duped into thinking the movie was actually good.

When I saw it at home, I actually thought it looked BETTER on Blu-Ray because it wasn't about the spectacle, it was very colorful and vibrant. 3D takes away from this.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                            Adventure First, Ad Last
                            • Mar 2006

^I don't but I'll most likely see it in my local 3 Dollar theater worth that hopefully.
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• QuiGonJ
                              Not on the Jedi Council
                              • Mar 2011

I have a lazy eye, so while I can see 3D,my eyes have to work at it.

I agree with the article 100% though, and I try to avoid the 3D premium most of the time. The only time I'll submit is when I am with friends, coz I don't want to sound like a freak on the subject.

Comment

• sediment
                                Banned User
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                There are no non-IMAX theaters in your area??

Comment

• Sing*Along*Song
                                  Makin' Memories
                                  • May 2011

I avoid 3D as much as I can for movies. They don't care about the audience--just their wallets.
                                  Which is why I was super ticked-off when I couldn't find a theater near me that would show Toy Story 3 in 2D. ........grrrrr...
                                  I'm walkin' right down the middle of Main Street U.S.A.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X