X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney rebuilding Disney.com

Disney remaking website for
    direct delivery of content

CEO Robert Iger aims to redefine Disney.com as an 'uber-network' for the company's entertainment products,
    be they films, TV shows or games.

Walt Disney Co. is rebuilding its outdated Disney.com website to make movies, television shows and games directly available to consumers.

Disney President and Chief Executive Robert A. Iger said the company's portal would be redefined as an "uber-network" for all things Disney, where entertainment would be offered by way of subscription or pay-per-view or would be supported with advertising. The relaunch is expected within a year, he said.

"We have a unique opportunity as Disney because it really is the only true global entertainment brand," Iger said Thursday at the All Things Digital conference in Rancho Palos Verdes. "People go to Disney because they know its brand attributes. We believe we have an opportunity to go with our content directly to consumers."

The Disney.com website has undergone multiple iterations, beginning with a failed attempt in the late 1990s to become one of the central destinations on the Web — vying with the likes of Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp.Disney would later eliminate 800 jobs and write off $800 million of its investment in the family-friendly Go.com venture.

Since those days, the Disney.com site has sought to balance dual goals, as a promotional site for all of Disney's film, television and music offerings, and as an entertainment destination that would attract advertising revenue.

Iger signaled a new direction for the Disney.com portal last fall, when he shook up the executive ranks of the company's Digital Interactive Media Group and installed former Yahoo executive Jimmy Pitaro as co-president in charge of the company's Web properties and mobile business.

"It's important to note here that we're not just redesigning," Pitaro said in his first public remarks, at an investor conference in February in Anaheim. "We're rethinking the entire experience — from content to product, to monetization, to business models."
    full article at:

Walt Disney Co. remaking Disney.com - latimes.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Disney rebuilding Disney.com

The website is very cluttered with new, recent pages (Like the theme park pages) and old-outdated pages (also same said pages?) I am very much glad about this.

Timekeeper
    sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

They really should ditch the go.com domain and make it strictly Disney.com. The 'Go' thing is SO 20th century.

Comment

hopefully with less flash.
        Good morning, son
        In twenty years from now
        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
        And I can tell you 'bout today
        And how I picked you up and everything changed
        It was pain
        Sunny days and rain
        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

What they need to rebuild is the Disneyland website. Looks awful compared to WDW's!
          Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
          www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sosai X View Post
            They really should ditch the go.com domain and make it strictly Disney.com. The 'Go' thing is SO 20th century.
            Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
            hopefully with less flash.
            Agreed.

Comment

The entire website system is a mess except for DCL, WDW, and DLR- those are the only consistent pages. They need Apple designers to create a new one with SIMPLE, cluter-less navigation in mind.

Comment

They need to make the U.S. park sites more like the overseas sites. So much more organized. Although, i like the descriptions of the attractions better on the U.S. sites. Some of those are taken from the Operating Guides

Comment

A stream-lined site would be fantastic. And I couldn't agree more about having less flash. Needs to happen.
                  Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X