• Show
Clear All
  • SmellyOrangutan
    Banned User
    • Sep 2006

"Haunted Mansion" Movie Update Thread

Interview with Guillermo del Toro posted on 7/12/11:
    Dialogue: Guillermo del Toro and Katie Holmes of 'Don
    Movies.com:Del Toro:The HulkFrankensteinHaunted Mansion. I just finished writing the third book of the Strain trilogy of novels. My next directing film will be Pacific RimPinocchio.

Interview with Jon Favreau posted on 7/21/11 (video included):

"Magic Kingdom" is but one of many different Disney projects in the works, of course; Guillermo Del Toro's "Haunted Mansion," the recently announced "Matterhorn" adventure movie and the already hugely successful "Pirates of the Caribbean" films come immediately to mind. But unlike what Favreau is used to from his Marvel Studios days, he isn't approaching "Magic Kingdom" like "The Avengers," a massive project founded on various different building blocks over the years.

"I don't think it's going to be like what's being built up in the Marvel universe, where it's all building to one project," he told MTV News of the process during a recent "Cowboys" press event. "'Magic Kingdom,' I have really the pick of the litter of any of the attractions."

That doesn't mean that Favreau is ignoring the other Disney projects that are in development. Indeed, he's frequently speaking with people at Disney, and even fellow filmmakers like Del Toro.

"It's a very interesting group of people," he said. "I talk to other people, like Guillermo, [to see] what's he doing [with 'Haunted Mansion'] so that we're not stepping on each other's toes. And maybe there'll be some fun inside winks. More like how Nick Fury appeared in the first 'Iron Man' film, where it was a fun little Easter egg. And now those are building into a full film in and of itself. You never know where these things go."
  • ChessurInWonderland
    Future Cast Member
    • Jul 2009

Re: "Haunted Mansion" Movie Update Thread

I'm so excited for the new Haunted Mansion movie. And I'm sure it'll be way better than the Pirates series because it seems to be directly focused on the attraction. It'll be great to see a movie with HBG in it.

Comment

• Barbossa
      Infinitized!
      • Jan 2005

I'm sure it will be great... for evers and evers...

:mob:

Comment

• Pezlort
        MiceChatter
        • Jul 2011

Del Toro is my favorite filmmaker today. He's always entertained me, and creates from the heart. There's always a warmth he brings to his projects. I heard this HM film will interconnect each Mansion in a web of sorts, with the Hat Box Ghost as the lynchpin. An interesting idea, even though I still favor the original attraction's plot. But i guess eddie murphy's movie kinda makes that redundant.
        Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

Comment

• SmellyOrangutan
          Banned User
          • Sep 2006

Recap of Comic-Con panel with del Toro and Favreau posted on 7/21/11:
          http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-jon-favreau-comic-con/104143/The Haunted Mansion is on the second or third draft of the screenplay.

When asked which plot his version of The Haunted Mansion

Comment

• Pezlort
            MiceChatter
            • Jul 2011

Awesome!
            Originally posted by smellyorangutan View Post
            recap of comic-con panel with del toro and favreau posted on 7/21/11:
            http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-jon-favreau-comic-con/104143/
            del toro addressed the litany of projects he’s attached to. He said the perception that he’s working on a million things is a virtue of the 24-hour news cycle where more is made out of projects that may be in extremely early stages. He said things are prematurely announced, and mentioned in passing that the haunted mansion is on the second or third draft of the screenplay.

When asked which plot his version of the haunted mansion will follow, del toro said there was never a sanctioned version of the story that is “official.” he said the film will be scary and there won’t be a comedian in the cast.
            Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

Comment

• JMora
              Banned User
              • Oct 2008

It's been almost over year since the announcement, and like Spielberg, Guillermo del Toro has too much on his plate. He's currently working on the film Pacific Rim, and has expressed interest on his pride & joy, Hell Boy (another Hell Boy installment). The fact nothing has happened since 2010, its a tale sign that it's in DEVELOPMENT HELL. The fact that the story is being re-written, again. Don't hold your breath for this one.

Toro's only great film was 2006's Pan's Labyrinth, and I highly doubt Disney will allow him to make the tone of the Haunted Mansion like Pan's Labyrinth. Just saying! Remember this guy made the Mimic, LOL

Comment

• Pezlort
                MiceChatter
                • Jul 2011

I still enjoy his movies. I know Hellboy wasn't successful, but I like that the films were made anyway. They're visually rich, in a unique way. My favorite part about his dvd releases are the commentaries. He always has interesting stories about his childhood, living in mexico, exploring old catacombs under the city.

Comment

• stoplaughingatme
                  New MiceChatter
                  • May 2011

Just One word to say is Awesome!!
                  Originally posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
                  Interview with Guillermo del Toro posted on 7/12/11:
                  Dialogue: Guillermo del Toro and Katie Holmes of 'Don
                  Movies.com: Let’s talk about the upcoming projects you’re both involved in.
                  Del Toro: There are a lot of people announcing projects that are not real, [but] the real projects are a lot. I’m working on The Hulk for ABC. We’re developing the series, it’s going well, we don’t have the pilot screening yet. Frankenstein, I’m writing now. I’m rewriting Haunted Mansion. I just finished writing the third book of the Strain trilogy of novels. My next directing film will be Pacific Rim that starts in November and we’re shopping around the project of Pinocchio.

Interview with Jon Favreau posted on 7/21/11 (video included):

"Magic Kingdom" is but one of many different Disney projects in the works, of course; Guillermo Del Toro's "Haunted Mansion," the recently announced "Matterhorn" adventure movie and the already hugely successful "Pirates of the Caribbean" films come immediately to mind. But unlike what Favreau is used to from his Marvel Studios days, he isn't approaching "Magic Kingdom" like "The Avengers," a massive project founded on various different building blocks over the years.

"I don't think it's going to be like what's being built up in the Marvel universe, where it's all building to one project," he told MTV News of the process during a recent "Cowboys" press event. "'Magic Kingdom,' I have really the pick of the litter of any of the attractions."

That doesn't mean that Favreau is ignoring the other Disney projects that are in development. Indeed, he's frequently speaking with people at Disney, and even fellow filmmakers like Del Toro.

"It's a very interesting group of people," he said. "I talk to other people, like Guillermo, [to see] what's he doing [with 'Haunted Mansion'] so that we're not stepping on each other's toes. And maybe there'll be some fun inside winks. More like how Nick Fury appeared in the first 'Iron Man' film, where it was a fun little Easter egg. And now those are building into a full film in and of itself. You never know where these things go."
                  Hellcats Episodes | Jersey Shore Episodes

Comment

• SmellyOrangutan
                    Banned User
                    • Sep 2006

From a transcript of the Comic-Con panel:

Question: Hi to both of you, my question is for Guillermo. I was wondering with THE HAUNTED MANSION would you be using the original back-story of the man buying a house for his wife as your story for the movie?

Guillermo Del Toro: There is really no sanctioned version. You can talk to Tommy. You can talk to the historians in that there was never… It was never quite a sacred story. There are many… It was an amalgam of several sensibilities and several stories; it was not completely congealed into one story. What we are trying to do is we are trying to make it scary, trying to make it… It definitely is not a comedy you know, we don’t have a comedian in the cast.
                    [Everyone Laughs and Cheers.]

Guillermo Del Toro: We are trying to make it however an intricate ride, so that it’s a fun, fun scary and that’s the reason why I was very adamant about bringing back the “Hatbox Ghost,” because it’s a legend amongst The Haunted Mansion freaks like myself you know and I own an exact replica life size of the “Hatbox Ghost.”

Jon Favreau: I have seen it.

Guillermo Del Toro: Yeah and it’s exactly replicated from the photographs.

Jon Favreau: In a room that has the wallpaper and everything from…

Guillermo Del Toro: And the gargoyles from the elevator. (Laughs) To me, if I could live anywhere, I would live in The Haunted Mansion, like all year long. It is for me the most beautiful piece of real-estate in the world and what I want to try and do is to try and make that feeling of a world that is incredibly attractive, even if it’s scary. I hope we can do it and we are working very closely with the Imagineers guys, like we are really respectful about that. I had the chance to visit all of the original artwork for The Haunted Mansion. (Laughs) I wish I had brought a rain coat with mouthing to the glare, you know I think when you see… Marc Davis had an imagination that is absolutely out of this world and we are trying to honor that step by step on the process, so God willing we will be succeeding on that.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                      How do you do?
                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                      • Jan 2005

Here's the teaser trailer, leaked from the panel.

It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• mickeyfan42
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                        Here's the teaser trailer, leaked from the panel.

That was from Last year's SDCC
                        Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                        July 13th-18th
                        November 19th-25th

Comment

• Barbossa
                          Infinitized!
                          • Jan 2005

If they really want to sell this flick, they gotta have Johnny Depp play the Real Estate agent.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                            How do you do?
                            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                            That was from Last year's SDCC
                            Oops-popped into my Twitter feed; guess the person was confused as well.
                            It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• Rex Dopey24
                              Goofy
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                              If they really want to sell this flick, they gotta have Johnny Depp play the Real Estate agent.

more depp? hes a sparrow already. when does it come out or if it come sout?

Comment

• mousterpiece
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jun 2011

Yeah, I love Johnny Depp, but I think it's OK if he stays out of this one. Of course, since Tim Burton's not directing, he's probably sure to not appear.
                                Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

Comment

• Sean B
                                  Pirates Fanatic
                                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                                  That would be awesome ! :thumbup: .
                                  Captain Jack Sparrow: Marina!.....Please Don't!

Comment

• Crazy Larry
                                    My prices are INSANE!
                                    • Jul 2005

The trailer for the soon to be released "Don't be Afraid of the Dark" might give you a good idea of what Guillermo del Toro might have in mind for the Haunted Mansion movie.
                                    He co-wrote and produced the film.
                                    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
                                    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Comment

• ChessurInWonderland
                                      Future Cast Member
                                      • Jul 2009

I'm kind of afraid of them making it too scary. I don't like the original movie with it being too much comedy with Eddie Murphy, but Haunted Mansion is about the afterlife being a big party. Some of the fun of being a ghost is to scare people (as shown when the ghosts pop out in the graveyard scene), and it is meant to be scary to mortals (the keeper and his dog in the graveyard entrance scene), but really it's about the afterlife being fun.

The first movie really missed this in the little story it had, because the ghosts were stuck in the mansion and were happy to be released, but the actual Haunted Mansion is meant as a great party home for ghosts to go to in the afterlife.

I'm glad the movie is going to be scary, but I do hope they don't make it too scary and lose the message and point of the Haunted Mansion. The Mansion may have no full story behind it, but the setting and mood of the attraction is a huge aspect of the attraction that I'd hate to see left out or poorly interpreted by the movie.

However, the director seems to be a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion, and I have hope he'll do this right. I think he's only stressing that it will be scary to comfort fans who might have been afraid this movie would be a lot like the original movie.

Comment

• mickeyfan42
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
                                        I'm kind of afraid of them making it too scary. I don't like the original movie with it being too much comedy with Eddie Murphy, but Haunted Mansion is about the afterlife being a big party. Some of the fun of being a ghost is to scare people (as shown when the ghosts pop out in the graveyard scene), and it is meant to be scary to mortals (the keeper and his dog in the graveyard entrance scene), but really it's about the afterlife being fun.

The first movie really missed this in the little story it had, because the ghosts were stuck in the mansion and were happy to be released, but the actual Haunted Mansion is meant as a great party home for ghosts to go to in the afterlife.

I'm glad the movie is going to be scary, but I do hope they don't make it too scary and lose the message and point of the Haunted Mansion. The Mansion may have no full story behind it, but the setting and mood of the attraction is a huge aspect of the attraction that I'd hate to see left out or poorly interpreted by the movie.

However, the director seems to be a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion, and I have hope he'll do this right. I think he's only stressing that it will be scary to comfort fans who might have been afraid this movie would be a lot like the original movie.
                                        Guillermo Del Toro is a huge Mansion fan, if anyone will do it justice in film, it is him.
                                        Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                                        July 13th-18th
                                        November 19th-25th

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X