• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sediment
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Disney selling stake in E!...

...to Comcast.

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

Probably first of many divestments to cable companies.

$1 billion could be helpful to DCA.
  • cellarhound
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2005

Re: Disney selling stake in E!...

It isn't a done deal yet...

I would use that billion to buy out CBN's interest in the ABC Family.
    Check out my other blog:

Comment

• zach1
      Where's my other cent?
      • Apr 2005

I love the idea. E! and Disney doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

• sediment
        Banned User
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by zach1
        I love the idea. E! and Disney doesn't make any sense to me.
        Only as a promoter for Disney products. Buy up enough interest in "news" networks, and you can push them around.

Comment

• Speedway
          Former Epcot CM
          • Jan 2005

$1 billion sounds worth it. Would E! bring much revenue in for Disney? Well, for its worth?
          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• cellarhound
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2005

I would say that this is moving toward divesting in live action films... Which may be a good idea...

Shaggy Dog didn't do so well at the box office... Many investors where expecting $30 million opening of the Tim Allen star vehicle... but it only made about 15... The Studeo is getting hammered, beaten into submission by other films...

Selling E! and some of the other cable network properties make sense...
            Check out my other blog:

Comment

• Doopey1
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cellarhound
              Shaggy Dog didn't do so well at the box office... Many investors where expecting $30 million opening of the Tim Allen star vehicle... but it only made about 15... The Studeo is getting hammered, beaten into submission by other films...
              With the exception of "Eight Below", which was humming along quite nicely until (as I believe) "Shaggy Dog" came and cannibalized its audience.
              "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
              --John Lasseter

Comment

• cellarhound
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

Both films aren't exactly qualified hits, but they aren't losing money... Shaggy Dog isn't going to lose money...
                Check out my other blog:

Comment

• sediment
                  Banned User
                  • Jan 2005

I would say that this is moving toward divesting in live action films... Which may be a good idea...

How about divesting in remakes -- live, animated, animated-to live, live-to-animated,...
                  It smacks of Eisnerism: "Get me some product! Go through the 60's film vault and update them!, Yeah, that's it! Minimal creativity and maximum dollars! No, they won't be home runs! That's too risky! Get me some singles and doubles, so my bonus comes through!!"

Comment

• sediment
                    Banned User
                    • Jan 2005

Both films aren't exactly qualified hits, but they aren't losing money... Shaggy Dog isn't going to lose money...
                    Meh, it's a single. I'll wait for the homer from Pixar's group.

Comment

• Cmash95
                      Banned User
                      • Jul 2005

I think they should divest themselves of all of their " stakes" they got when they bought abc. They own part of lifetime, E and I think A&E, ( not sure about the last one though) if they don't have controlling interest, then sell it. that would leave them with espn,abc family, disney, toondisney, and soapnet and lots of money to either start another channel( maybe a vault disney type aimed at babyboomers.) or reinvest in the parks or the studios. Live action will always be a part of the disney culture, the studios can't exist on animation alone. the shaggy dog opened against " failure to launch." and owen williams is a big hit right now. 15 million is a good start. let's see what it does this week and the weeks during spring break before a decision is made on whether or not it's a hit.

Comment

• Jessicalover
                        Married and happy again!!
                        • Feb 2006

Truthfully I feel it maybe for the best if they did this. I have always felt that Disney was overextending themself and watering down the brand by getting involved with these other companys like E. I really believe they need do divest in the majority of them and refocous on making Disney a strong company again.
                        Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
                        sigpic

Comment

• cellarhound
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2005

One of the interesting trends in cable and in media that I find interesting is we have reached a new phase... The last phase of mass media was specialization... So we have a plithera of channels out there selling content, and diluting viewer base which means less advertising sales...

I think perhaps we have reached the next phase: consolidation.
                          Check out my other blog:

Comment

• MickeyMania
                            Vehicle rotating backward
                            • Jan 2005

It's VERY difficult to lose money making a movie these days, the way the studios have it set up. For instance, King Kong will make money, but it was a bomb.

Furthermore, nobody I talked to wanted a Shaggy Dog remake. It was hard to find anyone who could speak fondly of the original.

Comment

• cellarhound
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                              Furthermore, nobody I talked to wanted a Shaggy Dog remake. It was hard to find anyone who could speak fondly of the original.
                              Considering that this is the third manifestation of Shaggy Dog franchise...

I think that this manifestation had the least going for it...
                              Check out my other blog:

Comment

• Cmash95
                                Banned User
                                • Jul 2005

i loved the shaggy dog with fred macmurray. i remember that one but I dont remember the second manifestation... and i look forward to seeing the third this weekend

Comment

• Doopey1
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                                  For instance, King Kong will make money, but it was a bomb.
                                  C'mon now, "King Kong" wasn't a bomb. It's made $217 million domestic plus another $327 million overseas (so far). Now given it's budget was $207 million it would be a "disappointment in relation to cost", but in no way can you call it a "bomb".

However, movies can lose money. "Treasure Planet" lost money. "The Alamo" lost money.
                                  --John Lasseter

Comment

• MickeyMania
                                    Vehicle rotating backward
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Doopey1
                                    C'mon now, "King Kong" wasn't a bomb. It's made $217 million domestic plus another $327 million overseas (so far). Now given it's budget was $207 million it would be a "disappointment in relation to cost", but in no way can you call it a "bomb".
                                    Except that it would need about twice that much in sales to be where it was supposed to be months ago. Which goes to prove my point. Executives were expecting $110 million domestic from the first weekend alone.

Comment

• Doopey1
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2006

Well, I think the expected $100 million opening weekend was more media hype than anything else. I certainly don't have access to any internal Universal stuff, but I would think their cautiously optimistic expectation would be that "Kong" would make somewhere between $300-350 domestic. That would have put it in line with the Lord of the Rings films. So yeah, it fell about a $100 million short of that. So you are right that it was a disappointment, but I just think calling it a "bomb" is a stretch.

Of course, Universal's loss was Disney's gain, as I think Narnia surpassed most people's expectations.
                                      --John Lasseter

Comment

• pancakesaregood
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • May 2005

Disney selling E!, it seems strange, as it has stakes in the some of biggest channels on cable: ESPN, Lifetime, A&E, E!, and so, it seems strange as it would give away part of their share of the cable market.

I always thought it would have been funny to see E! on Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA, heck if they filmed one of the shows that are worth watching...well basically it's The Soup and the rest is countdowns of why celebrities have more than you..

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X