• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song of the South Released!!!

Well sort of..

Re: Song of the South Released!!!

Originally posted by UncleTheodore
    Well sort of..
    Here's a line from the product review on amazon.com...

Get ready for all of the laughs, adventure and hip-hopping good times in this all-new imaginative and modern retelling of Uncle Remus' best-loved tales.
    As I've stated before, Disney is very good at "imaginative and modern re-telling"(read into that what you want...I read it "politically correct").

This product may have a lot of merit. I haven't seen it yet.

But I still want "Song Of The South" released.

And I'm not holding my breath.

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
      Here's a line from the product review on amazon.com...

As I've stated before, Disney is very good at "imaginative and modern re-telling"(read into that what you want...I read it "politically correct").

This product may have a lot of merit. I haven't seen it yet.

But I still want "Song Of The South" released.

And I'm not holding my breath.

Barry
      It's not a Disney product.

Comment

That is just so wrong in so many ways.
        Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
        FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
        I bring the magic!!!
        "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
        Originally posted by Reverend DMother
        Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. :love: I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy4
          That is just so wrong in so many ways.
          How so? Disney doesn't own the rights to the Uncle Remus stories.

Comment

it's universal...

Comment

Sorry gang...this is one instance (perhaps among many??? (LOL)) where I opened my big ) mouth before fully looking into a subject.

It's just that when I saw the thread title and then the product....well, I automatically thought Disney while it is, indeed, Universal/MCA Home Video.

Again, I'm sorry about that.

But I still hold to my basic opinions about Disney and their actions (or lack thereof) in the SOTS matter.

Barry
              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                How so? Disney doesn't own the rights to the Uncle Remus stories.
                Wayne brady once again playing a black man?....lol
                -----------------------------------------------
                DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                  It's not a Disney product.
                  Phew. I was shocked that Disney would have wanted to change the characters looks, but luckily it ain't Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler
                    Phew. I was shocked that Disney would have wanted to change the characters looks, but luckily it ain't Disney.
                    No but sadly people are going to assume it is a Disney product.
                    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
                    sigpic

Comment

Eh. I still think if you're going to release one, release them both. I really don't want a politically correct 2006 version.

Comment

Well, if Disney doesn't have the cajones to just release their film and ignore all of the whining naysayers and PC-mongers, then at least someone should tell the story. I'd rather it be Disney with the classic version, but if it's this apparently dumbed down version, then hey, something's better than nothing.

Comment

now disney has an excuse not to release SOTS.....plus.....PC is like so retarted....get over it.....the past happened...and if our generations do not know the truth about the past....it will repea it's self even worst than what happened in the past

Comment

A lot of Song of the South threads going on right about now... either from this Universal release or the question and answer at the Disney shareholders meeting... either way, lots of talk and I think a little clarity brought to the situation might help a bit.

"Thank you very much. You may change your mind when I answer your question, though. Um... we've discussed this a lot. We believe it's actually an opportunity from a financial perspective to put Song of the South out. I screened it fairly recently because I hadn't seen it since I was a child, and I have to tell you after I watched it, even considering the context that it was made, I had some concerns about it because of what it depicted. And thought it's quite possible that people wouldn't consider it in the context that it was made, and there were some... [long pause] depictions that I mentioned earlier in the film that I think would be bothersome to a lot of people. And so, owing to the sensitivity that exists in our culture, balancing it with the desire to, uh, maybe increase our earnings a bit, but never putting that in front of what we thought were our ethics and our integrity, we made the decision not to re-release it. Not a decision that is made forever, I imagine this is gonna continue to come up, but for now we simply don't have plans to bring it back because of the sensitivities that I mentioned. Sorry."

While I would love to have the film added to my Disney DVD collection of classic animated features like Cinderella, or some of the 'Treasures' dvd's I think Iger makes a fair point in his response to the question during the shareholders meeting. We have to give credit to the nay-sayers as much as we do to those that support the film. Face it, while some of us might understand the context not only of the film, but the time frame in which it was released (1946), a huge group of children might not have degrees in american history and might night be so aware of the controversy. The film critic Robert Ebert even says that Disney has a responsibility for what it releases and that something like this might make the wrong impression on children. With my history degree handy I'm able to enjoy the film and not take parts of it too seriously... but would a child be able to make the same distinction?

This just so happens to be a 'childrens' or 'family' film that has some negative portrayals in it and while I want to own the film, it might be best for Disney to wait another 10 years or so when the culutural climate has changed a bit to release this.

Now I'm going to go post in the dmca and then run for congress cause I sure know how to not take sides while taking a side.
                            Infinity and Beyond:
                            The technology of today is changing the media of tomorrow.
                            http://www.infinityandbeyond.tabert.com/

Comment

look....MAke it a PG-13....or an r rated movie...the parents are in control of what their children watch anywho...if they see the movie and get a bad impression it is the parent who let them watch it in the first place....

ever read the book "To Kill A Mockingbird"????....ever see the movie......why do they still send that dvd....huh...and why do they release movies about other racial events worse than SOng of the south????.....come on....it is a movie...and a great one @ that...childrean need to see the racial broblems that happend in the past so they don't repeat them....

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X