Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever heard this radio station?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever heard this radio station?

Here's an article that I read with great interest in the L-A Times the other day. Has anyone ever heard this station while driving through Arizona and the desert areas?

<H1>Words of Wisdom: Let It Be
    </H1>http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ines-columnone

Note: the Times website does require a free registration to read the entire article.

Suffice it to say that the station's owner is kind of a lone wolf, doesn't want notoriety or to attract attention to himself or the radio station. He's apparently well-heeled enough to own several radio stations, and he told the LA Times that he needed to put something on their air, or lose his FCC license. As the article points out, this format is "JACK" taken to the extreme!!!

The Times reporter is guilty of some sloppy reporting when it comes to the history of rock-n-roll radio, at least in the Los Angeles area. The story suggests that AM radio largely ignored it, and Murray the K and Wolfman Jack flourished on FM stations, and DJ's played pretty much whatever they wanted.

The truth, as I recall it, at least here in SoCal: KFWB 980 and KRLA 1110 made a huge splash in the late 50's and 60's as "Top 40" stations - until they were blown out of the water by "93 KHJ" AM "Boss Radio" in the mid-60's. And the stations were strictly formatted with very tight playlists. Murray the K and the Wolfman and so many others became stars of AM radio...FM didn't even play rock music in LA til the early 70's.

Having said that...has anyone heard KCDX-FM, 103.1??
    I assume that they do not stream on the Internet...

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Has anyone ever heard this radio station?

Just giving this thread a quick bump because I'm still curious to know any thoughts that people might have about this mysterious station...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
      Just giving this thread a quick bump because I'm still curious to know any thoughts that people might have about this mysterious station...
      I never have Barry.. but HEy we missed you, where have you been??

Friends for life

Comment

hum...very intresting

Comment

Originally posted by kelly
          I never have Barry.. but HEy we missed you, where have you been??
          Just dealing with life stuff...it's all good...although sometimes it does cut down on my MiceChat time! Thanks for asking though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
            Just dealing with life stuff...it's all good...although sometimes it does cut down on my MiceChat time! Thanks for asking though!!
            I know I am changing the thread subject (but how is shuggie) hope the dog is ok, i never heard

Friends for life

Comment

I am in Tucson and I just tried to tune to it...nothing but static.

Comment

^^^ ^^^
                I'm not sure, but this station appears to be heard more in the Phoenix area...which is at least two hours from Tucson, isn't it? Do you hear other Phoenix-based stations in Tucson?? Very curious.

Barry

Comment

never heard of it sorry Barry

Friends for life

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X