This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripley delayed, Sweeney moving forward

Tim Burton's biography of the exploerer responsible for Ripley's Believe It Or Not has been delayed. He will instead move ahead with his version of the musical Sweeney Todd. Johnny Depp is still rumored to be his first choice for the lead.
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060613e.php

I've yet to decide for myself if i like this idea or not....

Re: Ripley delayed, Sweeney moving forward

I read this morning that a vocal audition is being set up for Depp with Sondheim himself. Steven apparently is very protective of his material and wants to make sure Depp has the vocal chops without sounding too rockish.

Comment

I picture Sweeney as a bit taller and broader. I can't get Willy Wonka out of my head at the moment, and while Wonka may have been a bit strange, it's hard to picture him as the demon barber of fleet street. Although...if Sondeheim gives him a thumbs up, what the heck....

Comment

Did I mention this is my all time favorite musical?

Comment

See....this isn't working for me...

Comment

Unless, of course, it's animated in which case Depp would be perfect. Will this be animated? An animated Sondheim Musical?

Comment

Originally posted by Xharryb
              I read this morning that a vocal audition is being set up for Depp with Sondheim himself. Steven apparently is very protective of his material and wants to make sure Depp has the vocal chops without sounding too rockish.
              I can believe this. When the current revival on Broadway was announced a press release stated that Cindi Lauper had been cast as Mrs. Lovett. A few weeks later another release said that Mr. Sondheim had become involved in the casting and Patti Lupone was replacing Ms. Lauper.

This musical is also in my Top Ten List. I've seen it several times with the original cast and some smaller regional productions. A fiendishly difficult musical to produce and I'd love to see the current one in NYC where the cast is also the orchestra.
              "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

I thought Tim Burton disliked musicals?? I thought he didn't want to see "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" as a musical. Then again, he WAS involved with TNBC & Corpse Bride...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                -Jurassic Park

Comment

I would think/wish that they'd cast Bryn Terfel as Sweeney. Depp may be able to carry the day manically, but physically? No. And he's definitely not a baritone. Bryn looks good on camera, has the physique, and can sing the role.

He's also an old acquaintance, so I'm biased. So shoot me.

Many years ago, the Davis Musical Theater Company (anyone heard from Emelius Browne lately) did a production where the principle intermission food was meat pies, served piping hot. A great moment in theater history.

Comment

What's is the play about? I think my aunt's friend (who used to be Merlin in the Excalibur Show until about '03) was in this I believe

Comment

Originally posted by Wotan
                      I would think/wish that they'd cast Bryn Terfel as Sweeney. Depp may be able to carry the day manically, but physically? No. And he's definitely not a baritone. Bryn looks good on camera, has the physique, and can sing the role.
                      But he definitely won't bring in the same as Depp would regardless of how perfect someone for the role is. This is a movie musical coming from Hollywood, where John Travolta is Edna Turnblad...
                      "Tonight I wash my hands of you
                      You set the bar I could not live up to
                      Tonight the light is breaking through
                      So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
                      Zebrahead

Comment

Originally posted by Hector
                        But he definitely won't bring in the same as Depp would regardless of how perfect someone for the role is. This is a movie musical coming from Hollywood, where John Travolta is Edna Turnblad...
                        John Travolta is Edna Turnblad? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                          John Travolta is Edna Turnblad? Really?
                          Have you been living under a rock? Go check the Hairspray thread. All the casting is posted there.

Apparently that audition with Sondhiem must have already gone down because the studio made their official announcement today. So far we have Burton directing, Depp starring, Colleen Atwood (Memoirs of A Geisha) on costumes and Dante Spinotti (LA Confidential) on cinematography. They begin filming at Pinewood Studios February 5.

I'll be very curious to see how they round out the rest of the cast.

Comment

I hope they cast a Brit as Mrs. Lovett. Don't know if she has the pipes for the part but Helena Bonham Carter would be stunning in it and would be a good match for Depp.

I'm still reeling from the casting of Travolta as Edna and keep hoping that he drops out at the last minute.
                            "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller
                              I hope they cast a Brit as Mrs. Lovett. Don't know if she has the pipes for the part but Helena Bonham Carter would be stunning in it and would be a good match for Depp.

That's exactly who I was thinking also... if she has the voice. Burton likes to work with people he knows and trusts. Who could he possibly know better than the woman who shares his bed?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X