This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shyamalan Book Tells of Breakup With Disney

In "The Man Who Heard Voices: Or, How M. Night Shyamalan Risked His Career on a Fairy Tale," the 35-year-old filmmaker whose name has become synonymous with spooky suspense thrillers crucifies the top executives at the company he long had considered his artistic home since his 1999 surprise hit "The Sixth Sense": Walt Disney Studios.

Here's a link to the entire article in today's Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...iewed-homepage

Personally, I think he's biting the hands that fed him all these years and made him a multi-millionaire. "The Sixth Sense" was a good film (even though I knew what was going on halfway through) but what I've seen since from him was pretty much junk.

Saw the trailer for this latest film (the subject of this new book) a few weeks ago and it looks like another stinker.
    "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Re: Shyamalan Book Tells of Breakup With Disney

I respectfully disagree regarding Shyamalan's films. He films his movies locally, i.e. the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area. So, I like looking for areas and products I am familar with...as do others in this area. I enjoy his films for the most part. Unbreakable I didn't like too much. I honestly feel they marketed The Village incorrectly. They had people thinking it was going to be a monster film, but it really wasn't.

I really don't know the full story regarding Shyamalan's relationship with Disney, so I'm not sure what to make of that article.

I'm still looking forward to The Lady in the Water.

To each their own...
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today? :love:

Comment

I call him M. Night Shamalamadingdong. I'm just sayin'

Comment

I :love: his movies. So far all of them- but I have not seen Unbreakable yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MandaBella
          I respectfully disagree regarding Shyamalan's films. I honestly feel they marketed The Village incorrectly. They had people thinking it was going to be a monster film, but it really wasn't.
          No ... IMHO it was just plain silly. "The Village" was impeccably made, wonderful art direction but in the end it was his awful script that did it in, not the marketing.

I'll be curious to read the reviews on "Lady in the Water." Have you seen that trailer with a theater audience? I did when I went to see "The Da Vinci Code" and the audience was snickering and a woman behind me said, "Oh for Heaven's Sake, there's one to skip."
          "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller
            No ... IMHO it was just plain silly. "The Village" was impeccably made, wonderful art direction but in the end it was his awful script that did it in, not the marketing.
            We'll have to agree to disagree with that one. I didn't find it silly, but enjoyable for what it was and not what the trailers lead many people to believe.

I'll be curious to read the reviews on "Lady in the Water." Have you seen that trailer with a theater audience? I did when I went to see "The Da Vinci Code" and the audience was snickering and a woman behind me said, "Oh for Heaven's Sake, there's one to skip."
            Yes, I saw the trailer in the theatre several times. And, people here are curious. Again, he's a local boy to this area.

I wouldn't go by audience reactions to trailers. I often find trailers stupid, annoying, idiotic while many others in the same theatre seemed intrigued/entertained/curious about the film. Again, to each their own...

I think I'm in the minority on this MB who didn't like the film The Da Vinci Code.
            Amanda
            Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today? :love:

Comment

Awful script? There were a couple of scenes in that movie that I thought were so well written as to be higher art than normally found in films.

So a woman in the audience wants to skip a movie based on a trailer and that means what?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X