• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Pirates' sets record for biggest opening - USA TODAY 7/9/06

'Pirates' sets record for biggest opening
    Updated 7/9/2006 8:41 PM ET

Walt Disney Pictures
    "They're mind-blowing numbers," said a Disney exec of Pirates' $132M treasure chest.

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest surpassed virtually every box-office debut achievement on record this weekend, capturing the biggest opening in movie history.
    The Johnny Depp adventure took in a staggering $132 million in its first three days, according to studio estimates from box-office trackers Nielsen EDI.
    The debut easily shatters the record held by 2002's Spider-Man, which opened to $114.8 million.
    The milestones didn't stop there. The sequel to the 2003 smash became the first film to rake in $100 million in two days. It did $55.5 million on Friday, the biggest single-day haul for any movie, eclipsing Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, which did $50 million in one day last year.
    "They're mind-blowing numbers," says Chuck Viane, distribution chief for Disney, which released Pirates. "We knew it would be a big movie, but I don't think anyone knew it was going to be part of a pirate-chic phenomenon. That's what really helped make it huge."
    The film arrived riding a crest of pirate mania. Retailers are selling everything from T-shirts to dinner plates emblazoned with skulls and crossbones. Disneyland's theme park ride reopened Monday with 4,500 people waiting 31/2 hours in line to see the new animatronic versions of Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow and Geoffrey Rush's pirate Barbossa.
    "It's still a relatively new film franchise, but Jack Sparrow is already an icon for a young generation," says Chad Hartigan, a box-office analyst for Reelsource. "He has an appeal we haven't seen in the movies for some time."
    Depp initially mortified Disney executives with his decision to play Sparrow as a loopy, smirking and sometimes effeminate pirate.
    But after the first film sailed to $305 million, those executives asked him to ham it up even more for this movie and the third installment, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, due May 25.
    "You have to give all the credit in the world to Johnny," Viane says. "He's created a character people want to dress like, be like. They can't get enough of him."
    Even competing studios had to tip their hats to the film, which helped drive ticket sales for the top 12 movies 50% over the same weekend last year.
    "Kudos to Disney," says Rory Bruer, distribution chief for Sony Pictures, which released Spider-Man. "This is the kind of thing that gets people excited about going to the movies."
    Superman Returns dropped a sizable 58% for second place and $21.9 million; The Devil Wears Prada was third with $15.6 million, down 43%. Click was fourth with $12 million, and Cars crossed the $200 million mark with $10.3 million. Final figures are due Monday.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...analysis_x.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Pirates' sets record for biggest opening - USA TODAY 7/9/06

I contributed to that record breaking weekend! We went to the drive-in - got there an hour early, and still had to park on the second to back row! And it's a huge lot.
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

^ Dang, I wish I could find a drive-in movie!

I contributed to the numbers as well ^_^ Knew the movie would take all. Go pirates!

Comment

I contributed as well. Actually, my main motivation to see the movie was the new Disney Pictures logo before the film, but I was very suprised at how entertaining it was. Disney's second film of the summer that was slammed by critics, but I found outstanding (the same went with me for Cars).

Comment

Saw this tonight (Sunday 7PM screening) at a nearly sold out Ziegfeld Theater in NYC, the last of the big single-screen cinemas in Manhattan. It seats about 1200 and it was extremely full.

To contrast, saw "Cars" there on opening weekend and only a few hundred people were in the audience for the 7PM Sunday night show.

It was wonderful to see the Ziegfeld so full. Always great to see a fun film with a large audience in attendance. People were laughing and cheering. Such a fun silly popcorn movie!

Comment

I contributed also, we went Friday afternoon. I cant wait till the third movie.
            "A pirates life for me"

Next trip to Disneyland April 3 to April 7 2011 For our second honneymoon and with out the kids.:yea:

Comment

I contributed twice and will again and again and again

It's always me

Comment

Went to El Captian in Hollywood yesterday, so you know I helped out!
                Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

I contributed too. I knew it was gonna be the summer blockbuster. way better than superman in my opinion.

Comment

I was going to go Fri night at 1030, but then got a nasty eye infection. Hoping to go tomorrow. So I want to know, has anyone posted the new logo??? I know the movie is awesome since my lil sis went to a 1201 showing and hasn't shut up since lol.
                    sigpic
                    Elsa's and Anna's
                    Disneyland Dec 2014

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X