X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Perspective (Theme Park Deaths) - USAToday - 7/31/2006

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...kam-edit_x.htm

TimeSt. Petersburg TimesThe Associated PressThe Life and Times of the Thunderbolt KidLaura Vanderkam, who lives in New York, is a member of USA TODAY's board of contributors.

Re: A Little Perspective (Theme Park Deaths) - USAToday - 7/31/2006

I couldn't agree more with this article. Finally, media puts it into perspective. Thank you! More people have a better chance getting hurt on the drive to the park than actually on a park ride.

We could even do some informal, unscientific-but-good-estimate math. Let's say there about 200 injuries/accidents at theme parks a year (if you count at rideaccidents.com, seems it seems to be more like about 100, but let's assume they missed at lot, as they are not "official" recorders of such things). The article quote 175,000,000 visits to parks every year. Divide and move the decimal over two places to get a percentage: 0.0001% of people who visited a park got hurt from a ride. Sheesh, how much lower can it be?

Granted I may be off by a decimal point or two, since I only estimated the figures (I did say informal, unscientific). Even so, it seems to amount to way less than 1%. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that two out of three motorists get involved in an accident that seriously injures a person in the car. That's 66%! Let's all stop driving, instead!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

I agree too. And do you know what the funny thing is? about 99% of the accidents at Disney parks were not Disneys fault. They were not caused by rides being neglected from maintanance, but the accidents were caused by human error and human judgment. The media kept making it seem like Disney was to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMn
        The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that two out of three motorists get involved in an accident that seriously injures a person in the car. That's 66%! Let's all stop driving, instead!
        Well, not annually.

Everything else in your post is perfectly cromulent, math-wise.

Also, 100% of people living eventually dies. People should stop living, else they'll die.

I did a lot of stupid things when I was a kid. Threw firecrackers; played in a possibly polluted creek; shot off tennis balls from a tennis ball can using lighter fluid; threw lawn darts poorly; hit golf balls in my backyard; jumped off big curbs and big dirt mounds with my bicycle; rode down a rather large hill on my bike, timing the light at the bottom just right so I could cruise through with a harrowing left turn at full speed; sailor-dove (head-first, hands at side); rode bike at night without a light; hung onto a car while riding my bike (ok, that one hurt); rode a snowmobile without a helmet; drove my parents' cars without permission, dangerously; etc. And while some kids can't get away with doing such things, I did, and I'm wiser for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler
          The media kept making it seem like Disney was to blame.
          One of the lazy things that media do is try to make a story have "legs." That means less work later. A Disney park death is always good for a few days' worth of less work.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X