This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Pocahontas 10th Anniversary DVD Thread

I know I am probably in a minority here, but I'm really hyped for the Pocahontas 10th Anniversary DVD due out on Tuesday May 3, 2005. Not only will the film be sporting a brand new digital transfer that will blow the previous DVD out of the water, but finally the long unseen "If I Never Knew You" sequence will finally be restored to the movie! Finally Pocahontas and John Smith's love will be given the screen time it so rightly deserves. The scene, though short, makes all the difference in believing that Pocahontas would risk her life and socail standing for this Englishman. If that was all the set offered, I'd be more than happy enough but it will also include an entire second disc of bonus features.

Personally, I don't see Pocahontas as being anywhere near Disney's best work, but it's speaks to me on a very deep and meaningful way nontheless.

I'd like this thread to be a positive one for people to post reminicenses of their first viewing, expectations for the DVD and just generally thouhgts on the movie. Remember one of it's central themes is learning to deal with and accept others differences. Let's try to emulate that value and avoid the negativity that seems to alwys crop up when talking about Disney's Pocahontas.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

I can't wait! The only thing is, it comes out 2 days (?) AFTER my birthday....grrr. "Great" timing...

"Two days slow, that's what it is" ~Mad Hatter

Comment

I was very impressed by the art and color design of this film when I saw it in the theater 10 years ago. I also appreciated that the film is more dramatic and doesn't have a very tidy ending.

Several years ago I worked traveling with "Disney on Ice" and saw the ice show version of "Pocahontas". I'm not a fan of these shows, I find them to be an extremely peculiar form of entertainment, but the "Pocahontas" show was beautifully adapted for the medium and included the song "If I Never Knew You."

The show's design was as gorgeous as the film's, and the way this number was choreographed was perfect in its expression of the love that Pocahontas and John Smith were experiencing. It was honestly the only time I was ever moved emotionally by seeing an ice show, and the inclusion of the song added a certain resonance to the story that the film lacks.

But, yeah! I'm looking forward to the DVD. I'd passed on picking up the first release and am looking forward to seeing this film again for the first time in years. I have a feeling the art and colors (oh those blues and greens!) will look marvelous on DVD.

Comment

Also very excited!

Yes! I am looking forward to the release of the 10th Anniversary edition of Poc as well! I adore that movie because it is the first (to my knowledge) Disney movie where the princess has the strength and unselfishness to actually say NO to the prince/hero's offer of riding off into the sunset! It was tragic and heart wrenching to see for the first time, but also very refreshing and new! Personally I think it is one of disney's best movies and it remains my favorite of the "new school" collection! Can't wait for the new sequence as well! Love that song!
        All Hail Space Mountain!!! :bow:

Comment

Pocahontas is a movie that took more than one viewing to really get me. My first reaction was that the character animation was a little crude, almost like UPA stuff. And I closed my mind. I got into conversation about it with one of my Disney friends, who said I was looking at the wrong place on the screen. The backgrounds, the swirling imagery, the palette... So I gave it a second look. Today, I find that when I'm going through my Disney DVDs looking for a quick animation fix, I find that Pocahontas is a surprisingly frequent choice. Maybe it's the medium (small TV versus giant movie screen), but Pocahontas seems to work really really well on video. Count me among the few who are eagerly anticipating the new release.

PS. For some reason, I get choked up when Pocahontas sings the "how high" line in Colors of the Wind (but don't tell anyone).
          Download the latest MousePod - Volume 2 Episode 3

or subscribe via iTunes here

Comment

Similar Experiences

Originally posted by mousepod
            For some reason, I get choked up when Pocahontas sings the "how high" line in Colors of the Wind (but don't tell anyone).
            It's probably Judy Kuhn's beautiful voice that does it to you. She gives Pocahontas the best singing voice of any of the modern day princesses if you ask me.

Mousepod, I had a similar reaction to Poacahontas the first time I saw it. I was one of the many who saw the premier in Central Park. I was expecting great things coming off the sting of success Disney had had with its previous three films and was greatly disappointed. I didn't think Ratcliff was a very good/interesting villian (still don't), didn't care for the drawing style or art direction and didn't even think much of the songs. But then my sister bought the VHS and I decided to pop it in one day. Well I don't what had changed with me but I was a slobbering mess by the end. I just fell in love with it - Big Time. It all came together for me that second viewing and it still plays me like a harp every time, despite it's flaws.

I picked up the deluxe CAV LaserDisc the day it came out and am really hoping that most of those bonus materials wind up on this new DVD.

Comment

I've always enjoyed Pocahontas if for no other reason than that it's different. Disney took a big chance with historical fiction in this film, and they took a lot of heat for it, too. Personally, I don't mind that the movie doesn't follow historic facts. It's beautiful to watch and a joy to listen to.

I also enjoy the fact that the art direction took big cues from Sleeping Beauty, arguably the most visually stunning feature Disney has ever produced.
              "George Bush... is only for now."
              Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind! :cwink:

Comment

Amazing Review of Pocahontas DVD and Movie

I just found an amazing review of the new Pocahontas DVD and the film itself on The Home Theatre Forum.

Comment

Well I watched both discs of the new Pocahontas DVD this weekend. Wow. Just wow. The film looks the best I've seen it on home video and the story is even more powerful with "If I Never Knew You" re-inserted. The story, characters and music moved me to tears a few times. Pocahontas might not be the studios best work, but it is unquestionably my favorite Disney movie.

Now I'm anxiously waiting for a new CD Soundtrack with "If I Never New You" and it's reprise included. It may be a long shot, but "When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true." And that was proven by this terrific DVD release.

Comment

Ultimate Disney.com has posted an interesting interview with Irene Bedard, the speaking voice of Pocahontas. Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by yensid98
                      Well I watched both discs of the new Pocahontas DVD this weekend. Wow. Just wow. The film looks the best I've seen it on home video and the story is even more powerful with "If I Never Knew You" re-inserted. The story, characters and music moved me to tears a few times. Pocahontas might not be the studios best work, but it is unquestionably my favorite Disney movie.

Now I'm anxiously waiting for a new CD Soundtrack with "If I Never New You" and it's reprise included. It may be a long shot, but "When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true." And that was proven by this terrific DVD release.

Ditto! I saw it last weekend also! Man I just use to get teary by the end of the movie, the part where John Smith leaves but now when I saw the additional footage which is the "If I Ever Knew You" sequence it was so powerful and touching. I'm glad that they added that sequence. Now it makes more sense where that song came from, I was wondering back then which part of the movie they had that number since they have a pop version of it on the soundtrack sung by Jon Secada and Shanice.

Comment

Re: Official Pocahontas 10th Anniversary DVD Thread

I was a little disappointed that the "If I Never Knew You" sequence used so much flashback (especially since we had seen most of those scenes only a short time before), but I was more grateful that the sang was there at all. I really wish it could have been done with only Pocahontas and John Smith alone singing to one another. Still, it is a very moving sequence and such a beautiful song.

Comment

MickeyJCA - I very much agree with you.

This movie is very dear to my heart. It came out a couple of weeks before I joined The Walt Disney Co working at The Disney Store. I still can visualize what my store looked like and all the Pochontas mdse that we were selling. I saw Pocahontas in the theater around 5 times - I just loved the colors and I really liked the animation, espeically the scene where John Smith sees Pocahontas for the first time. That whole scene took my breath away. I also liked the male character of John Smith. He and Phoebus (Hunchback) were, IMO, the first real "men" of Disney animated films.

Years ago when Disney premiered Poca on ABC, they included the If I Never Knew You song and rough animation. I wished it to be on the DVD release and so when I found out that it was included on the 10 Year DVD, I was just ecstatic!! I love that scene - but I will admit, at the very end of the movie when John and Poca are saying good-bye and they do that teeny bit of the song...CORNY!!

On the second DVD, they included a behind the scenes with Pocahonta hosted by Ilene? Shoot, I forgot the actress name, who did Pocahontas voice. I had that on VHS but now I no longer need it since it is included. I love the score to this film. I remember watching the stage production at Disneyland and prior they played the score and the music soared. At least I thought so. It wasn't a bad show at all....now the Pocahontas and Friends show at The Animal Kingdom...er, not so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey
                            Shoot, I forgot the actress name, who did Pocahontas voice.
                            The speaking voice of Pocahontas is Irene Bedard. Her singing voice is Judy Kuhn. If you ask me it's one of the best vocal pairings ever. I had no idea there were two separate people performing her voice for quite some time.

Anyway, thanks for posting your thoughts. I'm a bit jealous you were working at the Disney store where it was originally released and could pick up all the merchandise. I've got a small collection of stuff, but of course would like to have much more. Mostly I collect the various Pocahontas watches.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X