Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remakes!!!!!!!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remakes!!!!!!!

    So- with Herbie: Fully Loaded being the latest Disney remake, what are your opinions regarding remakes? Should they be made at all? Are they better or worse than the originals? Do you have a favorite version of a certain movie? Are there any you would like to see made? How about movies you think should be left alone?

    As for me, I like most remakes- Freak Friday (2003) was an excellent movie that played off the original as well as being an entertaining family film in its own right. I think Lindsay Lohan is the Hailey Mills of our generation. Her reputation may not be the best. but at least she can act.

    So, what do you think?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!



    Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

    DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.


  • #2
    Depends on if its done well or not. A good example is Freaky Friday. A bad example is Gus Van Sant's "Psycho". for some reason he used all the exact same angles as hitchcock it was just an updated replica. no need for it. as for all the horror films being made...its mostly being done for money. the horror industry has reached a point where basically everything has been done. so they just remake the big ones for a new generation of kids. not to mention all the japanese horror thats being re done for americans. pink panther with steve martin...unessecary.

    Comment


    • #3
      Personally I think they shouldn't make these remakes unless they have the original cast. Lindsay is over doing her acting career and should just sit it ouf for a bit.

      If I were Herbie I'd be insulted if she tried to drive me


      Comment


      • #4
        The thing about Herbie is that it isn't exactly a remake... it is an addition to a movie legacy...

        The Love Bug
        Herbie Rides Again
        Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
        Herbie Goes Bananas

        There was also a TV series that stared Herbie...

        So Herbie: Fully Loaded isn't really a remake... Just another twist... And isn't Dean Jones in the film? He is likely the most underrated actor of his generation...

        Having said that DQ, I don't like remakes... For every Freaky Friday success you have a That Darn Cat! flop...

        I know that there is a new "Shaggy Dog" film comming... With Tim Allan no less... (Shutter)

        I am agonizing over the thought of a return of a Pete's Dragon set in modern day... With a 3D character...

        Why not remake films that should have been completed, and make them better like the Gnome Mobile?

        But if someone signs Billy Bob Thornton to do another Davey Crocket movie other than the Alamo... Dang... I would see that... he was the best part of that movie...
        Check out my other blog:

        Comment


        • #5
          Pixar seems to be doing well with orginal ideas! Maybe the live action department should look into doing orginal ideas also.
          Last edited by ni_teach; 04-28-2005, 03:05 PM.
          Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

          Buy Now at Amazon

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, there have been some successful originals lately- "National Treasure" and "Hidalgo" come to mind as very fine recent offerings. Is there any remake that you think was better than the original? I know it isn't a Disney movie- but "The Longest Yard" actually looks like it is going to be funny. We rented the original and it just made no sense- I thought it was silly. Sometimes a remake can fix some errors with plot and storyline, so they can be a good thing.
            Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!



            Do you MiceChat?
            Help support the site you love:
            -Visit the MiceChat store
            Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

            DMCA for life, yo.
            MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree with you DQ on Freaky Friday, I love that movie(so do both my boys)I think Lindsay Lohan's a good actress too. Even with the bad rep, I like her Lindsay's my girl
              Normally, I'm not a huge fan of remakes, but I do want to see Amityville Horror, if nothing else to drool over Ryan Renoyld's bare chest (licking smilie)

              We watched DArkness last night and were giggling over they way they seemed to mish mash the storyline. A bit from Amittyville horror, a bit this film and that film



              Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dramaqueen
                Is there any remake that you think was better than the original? I know it isn't a Disney movie- but "The Longest Yard" actually looks like it is going to be funny. We rented the original and it just made no sense- I thought it was silly. Sometimes a remake can fix some errors with plot and storyline, so they can be a good thing.
                The irony of the Longest Yard (Paramount - Viacom) is that Bert Renolds is in both movies... I remember the origninal... It was insignificant... But it set up a genra of sports films that where particularly interesting... Remember the soccer movie "Victory" with Stalone and Pele?

                Around the World in 80 Days (Disney) is sort of a remake... And to be honest, I didn't think it was a bad film...

                I wasn't happy with the remake of the Ladykillers (Touchstone - Disney)... But it doesn't mean I am not a big fan of the Coen Brothers... Anyone who can come up with Fargo, Hudsucker Proxy, and Oh Brother Where Art Thou, can have some flops... Like Intollarable Cruelty, which wasn't just a cleaver marketing campaign and sure lived up to it's name!
                Check out my other blog:

                Comment


                • #9
                  the live action little mermaid and snow white should be pretty good...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Remakes suck ***.
                    As Tina Faye once stated about the Casablanca remake:
                    "It would be perfect for all those people who liked the original, but wished it
                    had been terrible."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My two cents...

                      I think from the outside looking in on Hollywood it easy to sling mud, pick apart bad acting, short sided directing or a purely moronic stringing together of words that many of the studios call prose.-However I do believe our appetite for story has consumed and devoured so much the originality that could exist at any given time and thus Hollywood will turn to remakes and other venture.

                      Budgets for films are sky rocketing and so studios are making fewer and fewer films- they need to find projects that will insure built in audiences. Hence the studios are clamoring for comic book adaptations or fan favorites like LOTR or Harry Potter. Remakes in the same respect will gather more attention, blitz and built in audience regardless of how well it is done. A safe bet for a studio.

                      I like the idea of remaking bad movies and making them good. I even like the idea of revisiting certain films or revisiting old television shows. Per example I like the new Battlestar Galatica- a great example of both a good reason to remake it (face it the original was fun but cheesy) the new one nods to it but its much more well conceived idea. Another excellent "revisit" is Hook which is not a remake but explore the space of a universe we have come to love. Around the same time this came out the children from Mary Poppins were interviewed and both actors expressed interest in doing a similar project to Hook in the Mary Poppins universe. We still have time Disney suits!

                      In some regards there are some films Disney and non-Disney alike I would love to see remade/revisited with updated effects and new story directions: Tron, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Island at the Top of the World, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Flight of the Navigator.


                      A bad example is Gus Van Sant's "Psycho". for some reason he used all the exact same angles as hitchcock it was just an updated replica. no need for it. as for all the horror films being made...its mostly being done for money.
                      Oh man your timing could not have been better this was posted on Tuesday.
                      "The Birds" To Fly Again
                      Posted: Tuesday April 26th, 2005 2:25pm
                      Source: The Hollywood Reporter

                      "The Birds," Alfred Hitchcock's classic 1963 horror tale, looks to be taking flight again as a Universal Pictures remake according to The Hollywood Reporter.

                      Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes company ("The Amityville Horror", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre") is in negotiations to produce the new film which would be a much closer adaptation of the short story by Daphne Du Maurier, to which Universal owns the rights and which inspired Hitchcock's movie.

                      Tippi Hedren starred in the original thriller about increasingly vicious birds that terrorize a small town. Recent Hitchcock remakes include "A Perfect Murder






                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Remakes should never ever be done. Just go out and rent the old movie from Blockbuster if you want to see it again.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have heard there is a remake for Tron in the works...... I personally think this is a bad idea. Tron was revolutionary because nothing like it had ever been made before. Now, there are so many like it, it will be mundane and probably bad.
                          Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!



                          Do you MiceChat?
                          Help support the site you love:
                          -Visit the MiceChat store
                          Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

                          DMCA for life, yo.
                          MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ah schucks
                            I think from the outside looking in on Hollywood it easy to sling mud, pick apart bad acting, short sided directing or a purely moronic stringing together of words that many of the studios call prose.-However I do believe our appetite for story has consumed and devoured so much the originality that could exist at any given time and thus Hollywood will turn to remakes and other venture.

                            Budgets for films are sky rocketing and so studios are making fewer and fewer films- they need to find projects that will insure built in audiences. Hence the studios are clamoring for comic book adaptations or fan favorites like LOTR or Harry Potter. Remakes in the same respect will gather more attention, blitz and built in audience regardless of how well it is done. A safe bet for a studio.

                            I like the idea of remaking bad movies and making them good. I even like the idea of revisiting certain films or revisiting old television shows. Per example I like the new Battlestar Galatica- a great example of both a good reason to remake it (face it the original was fun but cheesy) the new one nods to it but its much more well conceived idea. Another excellent "revisit" is Hook which is not a remake but explore the space of a universe we have come to love. Around the same time this came out the children from Mary Poppins were interviewed and both actors expressed interest in doing a similar project to Hook in the Mary Poppins universe. We still have time Disney suits!

                            In some regards there are some films Disney and non-Disney alike I would love to see remade/revisited with updated effects and new story directions: Tron, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Island at the Top of the World, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Flight of the Navigator.



                            Oh man your timing could not have been better this was posted on Tuesday.
                            So in 5 paragraphs you basically said that Hollywood makes movies for money. Gosh, your writing ability could give Dickens a run for his money.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Socapex
                              So in 5 paragraphs you basically said that Hollywood makes movies for money. Gosh, your writing ability could give Dickens a run for his money.
                              Wow a two line zinger. Your sure boiled down my thesis in to one conscise thought- bet the people at Cliff Notes would love your approach.






                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X