X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Studio 60' - on the air

Originally posted by jurgenb52 View Post
    I can't wait for a few episodes down the road where the characters are a little more fleshed out and they can walk down a long corridor of the west wing and..... I mean studio 60 building, and just let the wit go back and forth.
    Well, since it's filmed on the same soundstage...

I really, really enjoyed this. I liked the style, the pace, it was well written and the acting was great. I hope it stays this way. I too was interested to see where the religious thing was going but I think they handled it well. We'll see what happens but so far, i'm loving this show!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

The show was pretty good. A bit fast paced. I think we'll set a season pass on Tivo.

Comment

I enjoyed the first show, not perfect but I think that the show can grow. It did have several big laughs which were just great. I didn't warm up to the characters right away there is only so much time in the first show for each one. I think that they will grow on me.
        Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

What to watch Monday
          Updated 9/24/2006 7:01 PM ET
          USA TODAY

• After a strong opening, Studio 60 (NBC, 10 ET/PT) comes back with an even better second episode that focuses on Matt's (Matthew Perry) struggle to write the perfect opening for his first show. You can be excused for thinking it's really about the pressures and expectations facing creator Aaron Sorkin himself in launching Studio 60.

Though Studio 60 is not an autobiography, it does cleverly play off our perception of Sorkin — from his dating habits to his reputation for ignoring the opinions of other writers. It is, in many ways, very brave of Sorkin, who must know every act of bad behavior will be attributed to him, and every laugh will be credited to Perry.

The broader "social issue" plot involves the pressure being brought by interest groups to kill a sketch that mocks the religious right. Before anyone gets upset, remember this: You never actually see the sketch, and one of the show's most sympathetic figures is Harry (wonderfully played by Sarah Paulson), a smart, funny Christian who leads the cast in prayer and is portrayed as the most talented person in the cast.
          http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...ner/column.htm
          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

"Lorelai Gilmore" alert! Lauren Graham guest stars (also Sting!)

"The Long Lead Story"
            A reporter (Christine Lahti) tries to get the story on Matt and Harriet, while the cast rehearses with Lauren Graham and Sting; Jordan says no to a potentially lucrative new reality-series.
            Cast: Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford, Steven Weber, D L Hughley, Sarah Paulson, Nathan Corddry, Timothy Busfield, Christine Lahti, Lauren Graham, .

Producer(s): Aaron Sorkin.

Original Airdate: October 16, 2006. 10PM NBC
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I really like this show! Reminds me of when West Wing was good!

Comment

Great show! I finally found a show I actually want to tune into every week.
                sigpic
                http://thisdayindisneyhistory.com

Comment

I've watched one and a half episodes. Yes, I stopped watching last week's episode halfway into it.

Two scenes made me want to do something else with my time:
                  1. Spend 10 minutes of the show going to the "burlesque" show down the street to get an autographed boot in order to get someone jealous, only to discover that it's a dumb idea. Um, yeah, I knew that 10 minutes ago!!
                  2. There was a long, Scorcese-like shot of Perry/Baarkedahl walking around the show's set talking about something, but the conversation led to nothing, but wow what a cool, one-take shot. I haven't seen somehting like that in maybe two months. So edgy.

One third thing that bugs me: the comedy on the comedy show they're putting on is not that funny. I think I might be more convinced of its being a comedy show if it were actually funny. For example, the show with Rob Reiner had a game show sketch with five contestants. I thought that they'd have to hone it down to about three, and a good story would be about who would get cut from it. Not to be. All five contestants were on the on-air version, which was still not funny. They can't even enhance the laugh track enough to convince me that the audience thinks it's funny.
                  Is it supposed to be a not-funny comedy/variety show they're putting on? That might make it interesting, too.

Comment

I love this show...
                    (somoene keeps pointing out obvious thing like the were talking on the balchony... but like that would pick up in that studio...)

i hope it gets better.. and the show within is suppose to be funny, but remember.. they aren't writting a comedy, only a drama about making a comedy show... (this aint tina's show)

Comment

I really love parts of the show, and really dislike other parts.

I love how they have the guest hosts each week, but never make a big deal about them (except for Sting). This week they had Lauren Graham on, and I almost missed her because I was watching Harriet and Jeanie.

I'm also really enjoying the aspect of the Countdown Clock of Doom! being a driving factor of the show (although the continuity of the clock during the scenes has to be fixed). The dialogue is vintage Sorkin, and the supporting cast really hold their own. I thought in the beginning I'd hate Amanda Peet's character, but she's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.

However, I do have several complaints:

Sorkin is inserting his life and opinions way too bluntly into the scripts. Last episode we had a young writer with an amazing show called Nations. I wonder who that's supposed to be. We have a slimy reality show producer, who's had monstorous hits for many networks. All of his meta is much too superficial, and ends up taking me out of the story.

I do not like Harriet and Matt as a couple. I tune out whenever they are on screen together.

The show within a show is not funny. Either make it funny, or don't show the audience the show within the show.

I'm trying to not stay too attached to the show, since they ratings have been taking a nose dive. While Sorkin's name will buy it some more time, the show can't keep losing viewers at the rate it is and stick around for much longer.

Comment

NBC's 'Studio 60' gets full season

By Nellie Andreeva
                        The Hollywood Reporter
                        Nov 10, 2006

After days of speculation, NBC has handed a back-nine order to "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," bringing the order to Aaron Sorkin's critically praised drama set behind the scenes of a late-night sketch comedy show to 22.

Sources said the deal for the back-nine episodes was made at a lower license fee than the original one, said to be in the range of $2.5 million-$3 million per episode, and the episode guarantees for the members of the show's ensemble cast have been reduced by one.

NBC and producer Warner Bros. TV declined comment.

Airing behind the breakout new hit of the season, NBC's "Heroes," "Studio 60" got off to a promising start, but the ratings substantially tapered off, settling into the low 3 rating point range among adults 18-49. This week, the series starring Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford and Amanda Peet averaged a 3.3 rating/8 share in the demo and 7.7 million viewers overall, finishing third in the hour.

"I've never wavered in my belief in the show," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly said. "With the talent we have in front and behind the camera and with the direction Aaron is taking the relationships, I think the show's passionate core audience will be excited, and the other viewers who sampled it can be won over."

"Studio 60" was taken off its 10 p.m. Monday slot last week when the network tried out another critically praised but low-rated new drama, "Friday Night Lights."

Reilly wouldn't say whether "Studio 60" will remain in its Monday berth. He said the network is looking at several possible scheduling moves, with a new midseason schedule set to be announced next week.

Reilly also declined comment on the fate of two other struggling new series, which have not been picked up for a full season, "Lights" and the comedy "30 Rock."

" 'Studio 60,' 'Friday Night Lights' and '30 Rock' are really good shows with passionate underlying audiences that are back on brand with NBC," Reilly said.

"30 Rock" and "Lights" received orders for three additional scripts, a step NBC also took with "Studio 60" before ordering a full season.

"Studio 60," executive produced by Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme, has the highest concentration of viewers with a household income of more than $75,000 of any show on television. The series co-stars Sarah Paulson, D.L. Hughley, Steven Weber, Nathan Corddry and Timothy Busfield.

In other pickup news, the CW has ordered three additional scripts each of "Veronica Mars" and "One Tree Hill."
                        http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...h07vkw8Q%3D%3D

Comment

Oh I was so worried they would cancel it! Last week's episode was really good!

Comment

^Can't wait for part 2 tomorrow. Love that John Goodman!

Comment

He was so dang funny! Perfect casting!!

Comment

SNl hasn't been really funny for awhile so why would the studio 60 show be any different? I am glad this show is hanging in there cause i really don't like the tina fey one. IT's not funny at all to me. but then I never thought she was that funny either.

Comment

Very nice closer on the two parter last night. Goodman is a master. And very nice work from Steven Weber as well. "....in Thunderdome" is always a wonderful comedic welcome!

Sorkin grateful sun will still rise for 'Sunset'

By Ray Richmond
                                  The Hollywood Reporter
                                  Nov 14, 2006

The problem, as Aaron Sorkin sees it, is that we all now watch the ins and outs of the television and movie businesses as if we're viewing a sporting event.

"We can't wait to hear who won the boxoffice championship every Sunday," Sorkin pointed out last week. "And even the language is like sports: A film got 'crushed,' a TV show 'upended' something else. You'd never know in the case of TV, the ratings only affect the network and their advertisers. Yet it's discussed in the press as if it's of major importance to everyone."

It was this mindset that Sorkin believes nearly sank "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," the acclaimed NBC hour that he created and executive produces along with Thomas Schlamme -- and which got an unusually late full-season pickup order five days ago that will take it through next May.

Sorkin has this dream that the people who follow "Studio 60" "will start to pay attention to the show and not how many viewers are watching it -- or who's making it." But he figures to have a long wait, given the fact that the show didn't deserve a back-nine order given its paltry numbers. NBC can point out all it wants that the series has the highest concentration of households earning $75,000-plus of any show on TV. It's what you sell when trying to justify a move that seemingly makes little business sense. An elite audience simply doesn't cut it.

So why did NBC Entertainment chief Kevin Reilly pick up the back nine? Because in return, Warner Bros. TV agreed to drop the extravagant license fee (originally higher than some NASA missions) on a weekly production budget said to approach $3 million.
                                  full article at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...0DfCqAkTdm1IkA==

Comment

Does anyone know when the show is coming back on with new episodes?
                                    " Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. " Oh no we might be in trouble

Comment

after the new year..

Comment

Just wondering. Thanks
                                        " Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. " Oh no we might be in trouble

Comment

NBC has it returning with new episodes in January.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X