• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sediment
    replied
    Re: 'Studio 60' - on the air

Originally posted by Experiment626 View Post
    But it seems like it happens a lot more quickly lately. They always talk about the shows that get cancelled within the first three episodes. Wasn't there that James Woods TV show that was canned after one episode this season? I'm just saying that give shows at least 13 episodes before giving it the axe completely. Try to move it around to have it get the proper audience it should have.
    One thing that has sped up the axing has been the "easy shows" i.e., the game shows that are ready to go on the air in case of such axing.
    That James Woods show is still on the air, I believe, although it might be canceled, too.
    Typically, shows are produced with one episode (pilot) then 6 or 7 or 13 shows. Halfway through the airing, the show gets either canceled or renewed for more episodes. The more that are in the can, the more likely the show will be on the air for all of them. The show would have to really suck for episodes not to air.
    Cheaper is better. That's how Seinfeld kept plugging away, while being good at the same time. Other shows stay on because there has already been a whole -year or multi-year commitment to a star agreed to.
    Then, getting a highly-sought-out demographic helps as well.

Leave a comment:

• Experiment626
    replied

Originally posted by sediment View Post
    Seinfeld was all over the place in its first years. Not unlike Scrubs. And chopping shows that suck has happened for decades.
    But it seems like it happens a lot more quickly lately. They always talk about the shows that get cancelled within the first three episodes. Wasn't there that James Woods TV show that was canned after one episode this season? I'm just saying that give shows at least 13 episodes before giving it the axe completely. Try to move it around to have it get the proper audience it should have.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

This is what pisses me off about TV shows, every year the networks axe the new shows more and more quickly without ever giving them a chance. If this would have happened when Seinfeld first started does that mean that we would have never been able to enjoy that show since it didn't become a big blockbuster hit since day one?
    Seinfeld was all over the place in its first years. Not unlike Scrubs. And chopping shows that suck has happened for decades.

The difference is that Seinfeld was great from the beginning (according to the people who make the decisions, who are sometimes all that count, and critics). Studio 60 is not good at all. I watch too much TV not to be an expert, unfortunately, so you can take my word on this. That Sorkin has a long-term deal or might have some other idea in his pocket (that NBC wants) is the only reason why this show is still on the air.

Leave a comment:

• ALIASd
    replied

While happy for the wonderful Amanda Peet's announcement (below from post #11), my heart sank abit at the time as well - not great news for the show's female lead. Imagine Aaron Sorkin's internal reaction...

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 15, 2006 04:20PM EST
    By Liza Hamm
    People

Benioff and Peet Photo by: DENNIS VAN TINE / LFI

Hopefully the show can retool and pull back & up from the most recent less-than-intriguing story arcs.

Leave a comment:

• Experiment626
    replied

Originally posted by Villains Fan View Post
    I've been a big fan of the show, but I have to admit the last 3-4 episodes have been boring and terrible. I think when they changed the focus of the show from the making and running of a late night comedy show to the neurotic romantic entanglements of the two main characters, it definitely took a turn for the worse. Too bad, with this cast, this show could have been so much more.
    I thought the same thing. I really like this show and the cast is great. What I don't get is why they changed the direction of the show. I understand that it's probably to pull in viewers but it's obviously isn't working. They should bring this show back to the way it's supposed to be. Look at every single hit show out there, it's either reality-based, crime/murder investigations, or medical. Why can't something different survive on the airwaves? What if they took this off NBC and had it on cable instead? This is what pisses me off about TV shows, every year the networks axe the new shows more and more quickly without ever giving them a chance. If this would have happened when Seinfeld first started does that mean that we would have never been able to enjoy that show since it didn't become a big blockbuster hit since day one? Just really sucks IMO. And I tried watching "30 Rock" (the comedy) and I could not get into it at all.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hamand
    replied

with this cast, this show could have been so much more.
    See, that's what I thought from the beginning. And still, week after week, the teaser/first act continued to make me want to go to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Villains Fan
    replied

I've been a big fan of the show, but I have to admit the last 3-4 episodes have been boring and terrible. I think when they changed the focus of the show from the making and running of a late night comedy show to the neurotic romantic entanglements of the two main characters, it definitely took a turn for the worse. Too bad, with this cast, this show could have been so much more.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hamand
    replied

Studio 60 was over the shark by the end of the second episode.
    I've been saying this since I turned it off after two episodes.
    Great minds . . .

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post

Updated 2/18/2007 10:32 PM ET

NBC
    Oh, baby: NBC says Aaron Sorkin?s Studio 60, with Bradley Whitford, left, and Timothy Busfield,
    will return in the spring.

By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...tudio-60_x.htm
    And if that's the case, well, maybe it's better to just turn them off now.
    I've been saying this since I turned it off after two episodes.

Leave a comment:

• ALIASd
    replied

Updated 2/18/2007 10:32 PM ET

NBC
    Oh, baby: NBC says Aaron Sorkin?s Studio 60, with Bradley Whitford, left, and Timothy Busfield,
    will return in the spring.

By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY

With Studio 60, maybe two strikes are enough.

This much-heralded NBC hour from Aaron Sorkin has been rejected twice by viewers, who were even less enthralled with its winter reincarnation as a romantic comedy than they were with its fall stint as a backstage drama. And now it's being rejected by its network, which is pulling the show after tonight's episode to make way for The Black Donnellys.

Yes, NBC says StudioStudio has given us flashes of brilliance, but ultimately, it never gave us enough reason to care. The people working on the show-within-a-show had nothing at risk because the fictional Studio was a smash from the very start. And we as viewers had nothing at stake in that show's survival, because most of what we saw of it was terrible. You get the feeling this is what The Dick Van Dyke Show would have looked like had it been made with too much self-aggrandizing angst and by too few funny people.

Yet for all their problems, those early episodes did at least seem to have a point, as opposed to the weightless, painfully silly romantic comedy the show has become. The only rooting interest we can possibly have in these two misaligned couples, Matt and Harriet (Perry and Sarah Paulson) and Danny and Jordan (Whitford and Amanda Peet), is to root against them.

Indeed, it's hard to say which woman you cringe for more: Jordan, who is being chased by a man who shares her own near-psychotic attachment to being overly cute; or Harriet, who is being chased by a self-absorbed, egotistic addict who routinely mocks her most closely held beliefs.

The change in tone came about, of course, because viewers weren't interested enough in the story Sorkin originally wanted to tell, but can he really be interested in telling this one? If so, it's hard to fathom. It's coming across as little more than a desperate, flailing attempt to find something, anything, to keep the lights on.

And if that's the case, well, maybe it's better to just turn them off now.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...tudio-60_x.htm

Leave a comment:

• Experiment626
    replied

Originally posted by Matt Hamand View Post

And I really tried. I like Aaron Sorkin. West Wing and Sports Night had me right from the beginning. But with Studio 60, nothing.
    Hehe...I'm the exact opposite of you. I tried watching Sports Night and didn't like it and I tried watching the West Wing and didn't like it either but I like Studio 60. I just hope NBC gives this show a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hamand
    replied

Sorry, but I beg to differ. It took a few shows to get into, but once I got to know the characters, I really like it and think it's a good, quality show. I know people are disappointed because it's not funny, but it's not suppose to be a comedy show. It's a drama about the creation of a comedy show.

I'm not sure I like that it's changing direction to focus more on the romantic relationships, but I guess we'll have to see.
    It was just my opinion. I tried to give it a few episodes. Especially since it was on after Heroes, which I like a lot. But it just never did anything for me.

And I really tried. I like Aaron Sorkin. West Wing and Sports Night had me right from the beginning. But with Studio 60, nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Villains Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    Studio 60 doesn't have the ratings because its a bad show.
    Sorry, but I beg to differ. It took a few shows to get into, but once I got to know the characters, I really like it and think it's a good, quality show. I know people are disappointed because it's not funny, but it's not suppose to be a comedy show. It's a drama about the creation of a comedy show.

I'm not sure I like that it's changing direction to focus more on the romantic relationships, but I guess we'll have to see.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
    Anyway, do we really need another crime drama? We already have a CSI or Law and Order every day of the week! I'm so sick of medical and crime shows. I have to love ABC for putting out some interesting shows. Ugly Betty is just great and original - and I'll be really disappointed if Studio 60 goes away.

Black Donnellys isn't a crime show in the same vein as Law & Order or CSI. It's more of these pack of Irish brothers who find that family trumps all or something like that. I really don't know what the premise is but Paul Haggis has only had one flop so far (the last kiss) so I don't think this would be that bad.... but even great shows will fall if the audience isn't in the mood for it.

American Idol succeeds because mostly everyone likes to laugh at the bad singing... even if they hate the show! And people don't have the time to sit down and WATCH tv anymore. They leave it on in the background so they watch shows that really don't need to be "watched" through and through.

I do like both Studio 60 and 30 Rock though. Very different shows.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hamand
    replied

Dang, mostly everything on the air is either crime or medical-based. No wonder why Studio 60 doesn't have the ratings.
    Studio 60 doesn't have the ratings because its a bad show.

Leave a comment:

• BFJen
    replied

I tried to sit through the first episode of 30 rock and hated it. I think it's just because I don't really like Alec Baldwin in it.

Anyway, do we really need another crime drama? We already have a CSI or Law and Order every day of the week! I'm so sick of medical and crime shows. I have to love ABC for putting out some interesting shows. Ugly Betty is just great and original - and I'll be really disappointed if Studio 60 goes away.

Leave a comment:

• Cmash95
    replied

ok they aired 11 and they are airing 7 more. that gets them through february sweeps and they could bring it back in april and end the season in may. and hope for a renewal. I for one love this show, It's much better than 30 rock, but I agree it needs to shift just abit more to the cast memebers and not the show. 30 rock is a half hour sitcom that focusses mostly on the show and I frankly don't like it but they promised tina fey a deal and she has it and it's on in between two popular shows so it is doing well. frankly if they took studio 60 and put it in a different time that might help it. csi is big competition on mondays and this is too good a show to lose. maybe they could move it to tuesday or wednesday and it would do better.

Leave a comment:

• Experiment626
    replied

Dang, mostly everything on the air is either crime or medical-based. No wonder why Studio 60 doesn't have the ratings.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

I'm glad it's FINALLY coming back. WTH is the new show replacing it's timeslot about anyway? Black Donellys?

Leave a comment:

• Experiment626
    replied

I'm glad it's FINALLY coming back. WTH is the new show replacing it's timeslot about anyway? Black Donellys?

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X