This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WB farewell with 'Felicity', 'Angel', 'Buffy' & the 'Creek' tonight

WB closes shop Sunday by rerunning pilots from four signature series. The wake begins with Felicity (5 p.m. ET/PT), followed by Angel (6 ET/PT), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (7 ET/PT) and Dawson's Creek (9 ET/PT). Any network that could give us Buffy and Angel deserves at least a moment of mourning.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...ner/column.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: The WB farewell with 'Felicity', 'Angel', 'Buffy' & the 'Creek' tonight

I'm confussed? Closes shop???

What happened to WB..?

and more importantly what about my Gillmore Girls???

have I been under a rock again???
    procrastibating

Comment

Here's the story:

01.24.2006 CBS CORPORATION AND WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT FORM NEW 5TH BROADCAST NETWORK

Each Company To Hold 50% Interest In The CW Television Network Tribune Broadcasting and CBS Corporation Stations Agree To 10-Year Affiliation Agreements Covering 48% Of The Country New Television Network To Utilize the Best Programming from CBS Corporation and Warner Bros.

The WB and UPN to Cease Operations in September 2006 January 24, 2006

(New York, NY) CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment today announced their intent to form a new 5th network, The CW, to be launched in the fall of 2006. The new broadcasting network will be a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation, with each company owning 50%. In an important strategic move that secures major market distribution for The CW, it was announced that Tribune Broadcasting and the CBS Corporation's UPN affiliates have agreed separately to sign 10-year affiliation agreements with the new network.

The combination of Tribune's 16 major market stations and the 12 CBS-owned UPN major market affiliates give The CW instant coverage in 48% of the country. The remainder of the network's distribution system will be a combination of selected current UPN and The WB stations. The full distribution of the new network is expected to exceed 95% of the country.

The 16 Tribune affiliated stations will include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Denver, St. Louis, Portland, Indianapolis, San Diego, Hartford, New Orleans and Albany. The 12 CBS Station Group television markets will include Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa, Seattle, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach, Norfolk, Oklahoma City and Providence. Together, these top two station groups cover the top 13 television markets, 20 of the top 25 television markets and have a total coverage area of more than 48% of the country.

The CW will incorporate The WB's current scheduling model, which consists of a 6 night-13 hour primetime lineup including Monday through Friday nights from 8-10 (EST/PST); Sundays from 7-10 (EST/PST); Sunday from 5-7 (EST/PST) outside of primetime as well as a Monday thru Friday afternoon block from 3-5 (EST/PST) and a 5-hour Saturday morning animation block. Together, the network will program 30 hours a week over seven days for its affiliated stations.

These programming assets range from hit reality series such as "America's Next Top Model" and The WB's "Beauty and the Geek," to hit dramas like The WB's "Smallville," "Gilmore Girls http://www.cwtv.com/shows/gilmore-girls," "Supernatural," and UPN's "Veronica Mars" as well as UPN's hit comedies "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Girlfriends" and The WB's hit comedy "Reba." In addition the WWE's "Smackdown," which has been a mainstay at UPN, is expected to play a role in the schedule. In addition, The CW will also broadcast the schedule of children's programming now known as Kids' WB!, a 5-hour original programming block on Saturday mornings from 7:00 am-Noon, considered primetime for kids. Kids' WB! has been the broadcast network ratings champion since Fall 2000, capturing 16 consecutive sweep victories as the Number One Saturday morning kids' broadcaster.
      http://www.cbscorporation.com/news/prdetails.php?id=173
      Last edited by ALIASd; 09-17-2006, 11:40 AM.
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

We'll just have to see how the CW network makes it. I would hate to see certain shows disappear. Truthfuly I an surprised UPN and WB both survived longer than I thought they might. Most new networks fold with in 1 to 3 years. I know my son is going to miss WB Kids all his favorite non Nick or Disney toons are on it. I hope Smackdown will keep it's home on the new CW network.
        Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jessicalover View Post
          I know my son is going to miss WB Kids all his favorite non Nick or Disney toons are on it. I hope Smackdown will keep it's home on the new CW network.
          From the above Press Release:
          the WWE's "Smackdown," which has been a mainstay at UPN, is expected to play a role in the schedule.

In addition, The CW will also broadcast the schedule of children's programming now known as Kids' WB!, a 5-hour original programming block on Saturday mornings from 7:00 am-Noon, considered primetime for kids. Kids' WB! has been the broadcast network ratings champion since Fall 2000, capturing 16 consecutive sweep victories as the Number One Saturday morning kids' broadcaster.

Comment

Yea I read that but the way UPN treated SD the last year I am hoping it might go back to it's better Thursday night slot.
            Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
            sigpic

Comment

Smackdown is still on Friday nights. The fall schedule is readilly availabkle at this point, though not currently at my finger tips. Most of the best shows from each network made it into the lineup. The only real head scratcher is the whole 7th Heaven debacle. They cancelled it, then brought it back. I would rather they let it go since they already made big deal over it's ending last year and given something else a shot. There were a couple of decent pilots in the works that didn't make the already crowded schedule and might have been an investment in the future rather than a desperate clinging to the past. But hey, there aren't many shows from either network that I still follow, and the ones I do made the cut.

Comment

I'll be watching Buffy & Angel tonight. Will be weird watching them on actual TV instead of DVD again.

Comment

I saw the commercial for this on TV the other day and I got all misty eyed!! They said something about "the network that defined a generation" and it just made me think of the things that have happened in my life as I watched the shows on the WB. Those shows were such a huge part of my life as a teen and young adult!

My best score ever!

Comment

Well I was already an adult when those show came on. I didn't even get into Buffy until season 6, then I backtracked and ended up buying the whole series on DVD. But I digress...

Comment

i remember WB very well, at first i didnt really like it, i wasnt part of the target market, but my sister loved sister sister and i would occasionally watch that and smart guy with her. Then when kids WB started i got into the whole pokemon thing (yes...i admit it)

it wasnt necessarily a big part of my life, but it certainly is weird seeing it go...i heard that the station called the N will be takeing dawsons creek in re-runs

Comment

the sad part about it is though that there arent many shows for teens like that anymore

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X