Clear All
  • ALIASd
    Top Shelf!
    MiceChat News Team
    • Jun 2005

Is Th-Th-That All, Folks? - The New York Times 10/3/06

Thanks to disneytim:

Is Th-Th-That All, Folks?
    The Walt Disney Co. via Reuters; Disney Enterprises/Pixar Animation Studios; Columbia Pictures; DreamWorks
    Clockwise from top left, Walt Disney Picture's "Toy Story," scene from "The Incredibles," Sony Pictures Animation's film "Open Season," DreamWorks film "Shrek 2."

By Laura M. Holson
    The New York Times
    Published: October 3, 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/bu...ss&oref=slogin
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006
  • Ghostbuster626
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Re: Is Th-Th-That All, Folks? - The New York Times 10/3/06

This is what happens when you make too many CGI movies.

Comment

• cellarhound
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2005

This also happens when you try to hide lack of creativity behind a star studded cast... I think there are a few exceptions to the rule... Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks are going to continue to be the biggest boys on the block... (With may be Fox/Blue Sky being the kid brother...)

There where far too many animal fables on the market... Madagascar, Chicken Little, Over the Hedge, Ice Age 2, The Wild, Open Season, Barnyard... Tired! Anyone?

Look at what got celibrated last year... Corpse Bride, Wallace and Gromit - both NOT CGI and NOT ANIMAL FABLES...

This year the only film that made it's salt was Cars... As of now, it is the only oscar contender in the genra...
      Check out my other blog:

Comment

• Melonballer
        Shablagoo!
        • May 2005

Originally posted by cellarhound View Post
        This year the only film that made it's salt was Cars... As of now, it is the only oscar contender in the genra...
        I agree with what you said up to this. Monster House was really good too, but I like Cars more. Last year was a great year for animated movies. This year it was all about qunatity, not quality. Still we have flushed away coming and I trust Aardman studios.

Comment

• cellarhound
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2005

That doesn't solve the problem of Ratattui looking a LOT like Flushed Away... Both rats... One's Paris, the other London...

Argh.
          Check out my other blog:

Comment

• disneytim
            Thanking the Academy
            MiceChat News Team
            • Jul 2005

Once again, Hollywood jumped on a trendy bandwagon without stopping to analyze what made it popular. The prevailing "wisdom" was:

1. Toy Story 1 & 2, Shrek 1 & 2, Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles (among others) all made a lot of money.

2. All these movies were computer animated films.

-THEREFORE-

All computer animated films will make money.

Now, because revenue for computer animated films is flagging, the new assumption is that people are tired of computer animated films.

Try this one: People aren't seeing computer animated films because too many of them suck (see Chicken Little, Doogle, etc.)

If a movie is good, regardless of the format (live action, 2D, computer animation), it WILL FIND AN AUDIENCE.

2D animation didn't fail because audiences liked computer animation better. It failed because there were too many Brother Bears and Home on the Ranges.

It's the STORY stupid . . . not the format.
            Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X