X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lennon's 66th Birthday

Fans mark John Lennon's 66th birthday

NEW YORK, Oct. 9 (UPI) -- Fans of John Lennon gathered at Central Park's Strawberry Fields in New York to celebrate what would have been Lennon's 66th birthday.

The former Beatle was killed across the street from the park near his apartment on Dec. 8, 1980.

"It's always spontaneous. There's nothing official," Thomas Leighton, co-founder of the John Lennon Memorial Committee, told the New York Post. "The fans come on their own. They just gather."

Lennon's wife, Yoko Ono, marked her husband's birthday by attending two world peace events in Rayjavik, Iceland, the Post said.
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...9-114745-1882r
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: John Lennon's 66th Birthday

John Lennon was without doubt one of the more influential men of the 20th Century, whether you like him or not.

The Beatles were a phenomenon unlike anything in popular culture we are likely to see again in our lifetime.

For some reason, I have never cared much for Yoko Ono, however...at least her public persona. I am not sure why.

Has anyone seen the U.S. versus John Lennon documentary? It's not been released very widely but it is playing fairly close to me in Santa Barbara.

I remember the Nixon enemies list, and his hatred toward Lennon, very well.

Is this new documentary controlled by Yoko? Is it worth seeing in a theater or wait for DVD?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I thought it was very well done and would recomend it. The ArcLight Theatres here also had a great Lennon photo exhibition by Bob Gruen during the film's run. Here's the review from The New York Times.

Lennon as Superior to Nixon
      By A. O. SCOTT
      Published: September 15, 2006

a new talking-head and archival-video documentary better suited for VH1 (which helped to produce it) than for the big screen, makes the case that, in just about every way that counted, Lennon was a better person than Richard M. Nixon. University of CaliforniaF.B.I.Yoko Ono

THE U.S. VS. John Lennon

Written, produced and directed by David Leaf and John Scheinfeld; director of photography, James Mathers; edited by Peter S. Lynch II; released by Lionsgate. Running time: 99 minutes.
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

The review above is similar to several others I have read. Alias, are you saying that it might be worth shelling out movie theater money? This review, like the others, seems to tell me that it'll be just as well to wait for the video.

--Barry
        God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Considering I have a John Lennon license plate on my car (yes the actual plate itself).... yeah I was listening to some Lennon/Beatles while at work today in honour.

Comment

Wow! 66.
            Dare I say that I can remember when he was murdered? It makes me sound old. But shoot, I also remember when Elvis Presley died and when Vivian Vance died.

Yeah, I guess I'm old.

Happy Birthday John - wherever you are.

Comment

My parents are in NYC for a few days, and they stopped in Central park and saw everything. Pretty cool.

John, for lack of a better term, rocked.
              What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
                Wow! 66.
                Dare I say that I can remember when he was murdered? It makes me sound old. But shoot, I also remember when Elvis Presley died and when Vivian Vance died.

Yeah, I guess I'm old.

Happy Birthday John - wherever you are.
                I was a 24-year old Cal State Fullerton student, working on an audio project in the main studio at school, when a few of us decided to take a break and watch part of the Monday Night Football game.

Like many other Americans, we heard the terrible news from Howard Cosell...who gave his remarkable running commentary while the football game went on. Bizzare.

I always felt that the spirit of the 60's officially died that night.

--Barry

Comment

I've never liked John Lennon that much. I just don't get it.
                  BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                  October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                  October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                  July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                  July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                  February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                  February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                  TRIP REPORTS

Comment

I almost forgot about this ;x
                    What I didn't forget was another rocker John b-day, John Entwistle (he would have "only" been 62). The day that he died is a day I won't forget. I'm sure had I been alive around Lennon's death (that sounds weird, heh) I would never forget.
                    Last edited by TanyAnnette; 10-10-2006, 11:45 AM.

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway View Post
                      I've never liked John Lennon that much. I just don't get it.
                      Just curious. Does that mean that you like the Beatles but don't care for Lennon as a solo act? Paul McCartney far and away has enjoyed much more success than the other three.

Or do you just not like the whole thing?

Just curious. To each their own!

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                        Just curious. Does that mean that you like the Beatles but don't care for Lennon as a solo act? Paul McCartney far and away has enjoyed much more success than the other three.

Or do you just not like the whole thing?

Just curious. To each their own!

--Barry
                        Yeah, I think I like the Beatles but never got the 'John-Lennon-what-an-amazing-guy' thing. But as you say, each to their own.
                        BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                        October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                        October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                        July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                        July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                        February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                        February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                        TRIP REPORTS

Comment

For some reason, I have never cared much for Yoko Ono, however...at least her public persona. I am not sure why.

Has anyone seen the U.S. versus John Lennon documentary? It's not been released very widely but it is playing fairly close to me in Santa Barbara.

I remember the Nixon enemies list, and his hatred toward Lennon, very well.

Is this new documentary controlled by Yoko? Is it worth seeing in a theater or wait for DVD?

--Barry
                          I saw it. it was 'Good', but yes it is under the total Control Of Yoko and Sean. So it is pretty flat. Just as she ruined the Broadway musical "Lennon" by not alowing any input from Paul, in this one she paints herself as almost as heroic as John to the peace cause.
                          -----------------------------------------------
                          DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

I like the Beatles as a group and as individuals. Lennon vs. McCartney? Both are good in their own ways. Lennon liked to rock alittle bit more 1950 style and expressed himself knowing that some will agree while others would disagree. McCartney rocks in a different way. Top ten radio play, bubble gumish on some to a degree. Mind you, I have both of their albums and enjoy them.
                            Lennon spoke his mind out loud, McCartney was more discreet.

Comment

I love you, John! I did a report for my speech class at Orange Coast College 9 years ago about how Lennon's assassination was a conspiracy but I got a D on the report. That sucked. That teacher sucked. Anyway, this is about John. I am definitely a John fan. I was quite obsessed in the college days. My roomate picked me because I was a Beatles nut. I'm not as much of a Paul fan, he's too goofy in his music sometimes with all his oo oo oos. Too bad there was no Breakfast with the Beatles (with Chris Carter) radio show in SoCal to listen to for John's birthday. That show does a good job of honoring those who have passed.

Comment

Originally posted by PanTheMan View Post
                                I saw it. it was 'Good', but yes it is under the total Control Of Yoko and Sean. So it is pretty flat. Just as she ruined the Broadway musical "Lennon" by not alowing any input from Paul, in this one she paints herself as almost as heroic as John to the peace cause.
                                Thanks. I think I'll save my money for now and rent it later...assuming Yoko lets me...

OFF TOPIC...

Does anyone know what the fight is over regarding Apple and the Beatles?

No Beatles music on I-tunes...

And if you think you're getting a Beatles song, be careful...it's a Beatles "tribute" band usually...

--Barry

Comment

Happy birthday John!

Comment

Thanks. I think I'll save my money for now and rent it later...assuming Yoko lets me...

OFF TOPIC...

Does anyone know what the fight is over regarding Apple and the Beatles?

No Beatles music on I-tunes...

And if you think you're getting a Beatles song, be careful...it's a Beatles "tribute" band usually...

--Barry
                                    All I know is that when Apple Computers came out as a brand, they agreed with the Beatles who owned the name (Apple Corps), that the name would not be used in relation to music. So now that Apple has iTunes which is a music downloading thingy (you know) the Beatles people/Apple owners wanted to sue Apple Computers for trademark infringement. I am assuming that has to do with why they won't let any Beatles music on it.

I just looked it up to check that my info was ok, here's a good article that explains it all:
                                    http://www.legalzoom.com/articles/ar...icle11325.html

Comment

^^^ ^^^

Thanks for the info and link, Brigeet! It's still too bad you can't get the Beatles on I-tunes. It's fun to read the scathing reviews of customers who thought they were getting Beatle tunes and were ripped off! Beware.

--Barry

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X