Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Barbossa named after - Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Barbossa named after - Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha?

This is ome really interesting stuff I found on Wikipedia that makes me wonder if Jack Sparrows nemisis, Captain Barbossa is named after Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha, which meant "RedBeard" to the Europeans, and his brothers.

Here is what I found:

Perhaps the best-known Barbary pirates (corsairs) were the Barbarossa (meaning Redbeard) brothers, the nickname of Hayreddin and his older brother who, after having been invited to defend the city of Algiers from the Spaniards in 1516, captured Algiers and Tlemcen, causing Abu Hamo Musa III to flee. His successor Abu Zayan conspired against , who had him killed and declared himself ruler over Algiers, turning it into a major base for privateering as well as a regent for the sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
    Click here for more information on the Barbary Pirates

Here is more information on Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha from wikipedia:

Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha (Turkish: Barbaros Hayreddin Paşa or Barbaros Hayrettin Paşa) (circa 1475-1546) was a Turkish corsair and Ottoman admiral who dominated the Mediterranean for decades. He was born on the island of Midilli (Lesbos in today's Greece). He died in Istanbul.
    His original name was Yakupoğlu Hızır (Hızır son of Yakup). Khair ad Din, which literally means "Bless to the Faith", was an honorary name given to him by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. He became known as Barbarossa, a name he inherited from his older brother Baba Aruj ( in Turkish) after Aruj was killed by the Spanish in Algeria. Coincidentally, this name sounded like "Barbarossa" (Redbeard) to the Europeans, and he did have a red beard.
    Captain Barbossa also has a red beard .

1470s to Yakup Ağa and his Christian Greek wife, Katalina (Katerina), said to be the widow of a Christian priest. Some sources make Yakup a Sipahi, i.e. a Turkish feudal cavalry knight, while others make him a Janissary from the Ottoman city of Vardar, near Thessaloniki.
    The four brothers initially worked as traders, sailors and corsairs in the eastern Mediterranean, where they came into frequent hostile contact with the privateering Knights of St. John who were then based at the island of Rhodes. Ilias was killed during one of these encounters, and Aruj was captured and imprisoned in Rhodes to be sold as a slave. He eventually escaped and went first to Italy and later to Egypt. There he managed to get an audience with Sultan Qansuh al-Ghawri who gave him a ship which Aruj used to attack the islands of the Mediterranean that were controlled by Christians.
    Around 1505 Aruj managed to seize three more ships and made the island of Djerba his base, thus moving his operations to the western Mediterranean. His fame increased when between 1504 and 1510 he transported Muslim Moriscos1516, Aruj captured Algiers and declared himself "king". He subsequently sought to capture Tlemcen, but was killed at the age of 55, along with his brother Ishak, in 1518 in battle when a Spanish expeditionary force come to the aid of the native ruler.
    Khair ad Din inherited his place, his name (Barbarossa) and his mission.
    Admiral-Pasha of the Mediterranean

In 1532, Suleiman called Barbarossa to Istanbul to discuss with him the creation of an Ottoman fleet. He appointed Barbarossa Admiral-Pasha (Admiral-in-Chief) of the Mediterranean and Beylerbey (Commander-in-Chief) of North Africa and gave him command over a substantial fleet. Barbarossa first raided the coasts of southern Italy and then captured Tunis in August 1534, sending the Hafsid sultan Mulei Hassan fleeing. Mulei Hassan asked Emperor Charles V for assistance to recover his kingdom, and a massive Spanish and Italian force recaptured Tunis in 1535 as well as Bone and Mahdiya. Recognizing the futility of armed resistance, Barbarossa had abandoned Tunis well before the arrival of the invaders.
    In 1537, and Barbarossa led a huge Ottoman force against the Ionian islands and southern Italy, and Barbarossa captured Corfu from Venice.
    In February 1538, Pope Paul III succeeded in assembling a "Holy League" (the Papacy, Spain, the Holy Roman Empire, Venice and the Maltese Knights) against the Ottomans, but Barbarossa defeated its fleet, commanded by Andrea Doria, at the Battle of Preveza in September 1538. This victory secured Turkish dominance over the Mediterranean for the next 33 years (until the Battle of Lepanto in 1571).
    The next year Barbarossa recaptured Castelnuovo from the Venetians, who had taken it from the Turks after Preveza, and captured the remaining Christian outposts in the Ionian and Aegean Seas. Venice finally sued for peace and signed a peace treaty with Sultan Suleiman in 1540.
    In October 1541, Emperor Charles V himself laid siege to Algiers, seeking to end the corsair threat to the Spanish domains and Christian shipping in the western Mediterranean. But a violent storm disrupted his landing operations, and Andrea Doria took his fleet away into open waters to avoid being wrecked on the shore. After some indecisive fighting on land, Charles had to abandon the effort and withdraw his severely battered force.
    In 1543, Barbarossa cruised the western Mediterranean with a huge fleet, raided Italian and Spanish islands and coastal settlements, laid siege to Nice and captured the city on 5 August on behalf of the French king Francois I, who was then allied with Sultan Suleiman. He spent the winter with his fleet in Toulon. The following spring he defeated another Spanish-Italian fleet and raided deep into the kingdom of Naples. He then sailed to Genoa, threatened to attack the city and thereby, plus a payment of 3000 ducats, secured the release of his lieutenant and friend Turgut Reis who had been serving as a galley slave on a Genoese ship and then imprisoned in the city since his capture in 1540. He then successfully repulsed further Spanish attacks on southern France and sailed back to Istanbul after Charles V and Suleiman had agreed to a truce in 1544.
    Click here for more information on Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha.
    I thought it was an interesting read and nice to see pictures of this pirate.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 10-12-2006, 02:50 PM.

Barbossa named after Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha?

So what are your opinions?

Comment

Re: Barbossa named after Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha?

Whoops, double post :lol:

Comment

I didnt necessarily read all that, but I will. Eventually

Also, it still said your title was too long, and I was just posting like normal.
        "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Re:

I asked Dusty to change the title to "Captain Barbossa named after Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha?"

So hopefully that will fix the problem. If Dusty can not change it, I hope a Moderator can.

Comment

Re: Captain Barbossa named after - Barbarossa Khair ad Din Pasha?

Thank you Dusty for fixing it !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X